PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
C&D Yorktown is the only “just Virginia” blend I’ve tried so far, and I do like it.
What would be a couple of readily available, (preferably available in bulk) blends to play with next-I’m thinking SNF 400, but not sure what else to add to order.
NewMinster 400

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
C&D Yorktown is the only “just Virginia” blend I’ve tried so far, and I do like it.
What would be a couple of readily available, (preferably available in bulk) blends to play with next-I’m thinking SNF 400, but not sure what else to add to order.
Sutliff 507 C

Reactions: Sobrbiker

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
C&D Opening Night
C&D Virginia Flake
GLP Laurel Heights
You sparked my interest in C&D VA Flake, I bought it about a year back but I still haven’t tried it. It still trips me out that it’s not actually a flake. I’m going to have to try it soon.

I prefer VaBur, VaPer & VaBurPer but from time to time I go on a straight VA kick, especially in the summer time.

Some of my favorites are (in no particular order):
Wessex Brown Flake
Mac Baren Pure VA Flake
Sam Gawith Brown Bogie and/or Brown Irish X

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
And I have to add G&H Best Brown Flake #2, but there is a touch of Burley in that blend (hell, there is probably a touch of Burley in the blends listed below; it tends to hide in unsuspecting places). BB#2 is one of my all time favorite blends and it ages very nicely.
I agree with this. BB#2 is awesome stuff! The way it ages is pretty unique too, it ferments rapidly and it develops a wonderful sweet and sour taste. It’s definitely an all time favorite of any genre of mine. The only gripe for me is I prefer this one without any residual Lakeland sauce but unfortunately some batches have it while other batches don’t…. or at least that’s how it was when I was stocking up on it. When you smoke it a lot, you do become anosmic to the lighter dosing of the sauce though.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
This tobacco reminds me of Cosmic. It is citrusy, blond with blue eyes. Well, I think the same thing. If he's straight, (heterosexual) blond, blue-eyed, I'll take Capstan Gold. has a citrusy, sour, very pleasant aroma when you smell it fresh from the tin.

Reactions: kcghost

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I have settled firmly into being a lover of straight Virginias after 2 years on my pipe tour, and only dabble in English and VaPer.

These old standbys are reliable and fantastic bargains. I expect they will age nicely.

507C Virginia Slices
Newminster No. 400
PS 402 Luxury Twist

But I'm not a heavy smoker and have 2-3 bowls a week at most, so I tend toward tinned tobacco as the bulk savings ins't pertinent to me. I have cellared heaviest in:

Peterson Flake
GLP Union Square
SPC Hogshead
SG Full Virginia Flake
C&D Carolina Red Flake

I am hoping soon to get around to MB HH Pure Virginia as this sounds like something I would like.

In a vacuum (haha) I would store the most Full Virginia Flake, but with the tins not so reliable and not wanting to wrangle mason jars, I diversify.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I have settled firmly into being a lover of straight Virginias after 2 years on my pipe tour, and only dabble in English and VaPer.

These old standbys are reliable and fantastic bargains. I expect they will age nicely.

507C Virginia Slices
Newminster No. 400
PS 402 Luxury Twist

But I'm not a heavy smoker and have 2-3 bowls a week at most, so I tend toward tinned tobacco as the bulk savings ins't pertinent to me. I have cellared heaviest in:

Peterson Flake
GLP Union Square
SPC Hogshead
SG Full Virginia Flake
C&D Carolina Red Flake

I am hoping soon to get around to MB HH Pure Virginia as this sounds like something I would like.

In a vacuum (haha) I would store the most Full Virginia Flake, but with the tins not so reliable and not wanting to wrangle mason jars, I diversify.
Try Amphora Virginia.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
My go-to VAs:
SG Full Virginia Flake
Newminster No. 400
DTM Hamborger Veermaster

Props to:
Capstan Medium (pricey)
507C Virginia Slices
F&K Special Brown Flake (rum)

If you don't mind the barest whiff of Perique:
Tordenskjold
Riener Long Golden Flake
Orlik Golden Sliced
What do you like about Hamborger Veermaster? The reviews on it are... mixed

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

Your mind may be made up on mason jars -- which is totally your prerogative -- but I've found the process for loading them up with flake has gotten much easier and faster after a couple iterations. I'll put a half-pint jar on its side and stack the flakes using a clean butter knife to help guide them in. The flakes are then vertical when the jar is upright, and each half-pint jar will hold two tins' worth of flake when done. 👍

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Your mind may be made up on mason jars -- which is totally your prerogative -- but I've found the process for loading them up with flake has gotten much easier and faster after a couple iterations. I'll put a half-pint jar on its side and stack the flakes using a clean butter knife to help guide them in. The flakes are then vertical when the jar is upright, and each half-pint jar will hold two tins' worth of flake when done. 👍
I bought the short 8 oz mason jars and they fit nicely inside an under the bed Tupperware box. Stays out of way, cool, away from light. They hold about 3.5 oz of tobacco if you press it tight. I have a Virginia box, Burley box, and English box. I have a jar of NM400 from 3 years ago and just bought another 3 oz. The 3 year old flakes are much darker in color compared to the new flakes so I definitely am seeing a value in storing it away for several years.