Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
All of these are pre 2020 recommendations and, no, I'm not sending you anything. I'm not the one doing the swap outs and substitutions. I don't know what's going into the tins these days, but I do know I'm not buying any of it and don't need to.

Esoterica Brighton
GL Pease Union Square
Sutliff 507-S slices

Also potentially worth a try:

Germain's Brown Flake
Wessex Campaign Dark Flake
KBV Jupiter Slices
KBV Endless Void

What makes the KBV blends interesting is that they are often composed from small caches of remaining stocks of aged Virginias that are too small for a larger blender, but just right for KBV's micro batches. You're getting better quality leaf that's not being offered elsewhere, unless it's a seasonal Sutliff special offering

Last edited:

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
If the OP opens a tin of Royal Yacht expecting a straight Virginia, he’s going to get a surprise…
You are correct.
Medium Flake does have a slight casing, citrus.
Some of the suggestions listed do have a light casing or top note.
Even Capstan has a little something.
The worse that can happen with Royal Yacht is that he likes it. ;)

Which reminds me, Ashton Gold Rush is not bad at all, either.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You are correct.

Most every blend has at least some minimal topping added. Royal Yuck is more like some tobacco added to a topping.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You are correct.

Most, it not all of these recommended tobacco have some flavorings added, either in the form of a casing or toppings.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
So what's Orlik Golden Sliced, chopped liver? I also like Laurel Heights, with its alleged tiny touch of latakia. But my workhorse over all others is Luxury Bullseye Flake. Not sure any of those are "pure" virginias, but I find something like Union Square a complete bore.
OGS is close, but there's a bit of perique in there. Same with Bullseye with the addition of some cavendish. Or maybe I'm thinking if Davidoff Flake Medallions.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Thanks everyone. I already have and tried Amphora, OGS (Spicy) and Peterson Flake (Grassy/Hay) and like them all. Amphora bit me at first but I had a nice sweet flavor after it sat out overnight. This is an amazing list that will take me time to try. I am going to order HH Pure, Opening Night, and a few bulk listed. Next post will be asking about Burley.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
C&D Yorktown is the only “just Virginia” blend I’ve tried so far, and I do like it.
What would be a couple of readily available, (preferably available in bulk) blends to play with next-I’m thinking SNF 400, but not sure what else to add to order.

Reactions: JOHN72