PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Enjoying my pipe smoking journey. Watched lots of YTPC videos and have learned a lot but am curious what is your top 3 straight Virginia blends still available today. Please don’t tell me about your 2017 or prior McClelland unless you are going to send me a tin. 🤠

It can be from Europe, Africa, anywhere. Just looking for straight Virginia blends only. No aromatics, no VaPer, no VaBur.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wish I could buy you some. No longer available. Out of business.
When they were still around, most of their tinned offerings were $5/ounce and below. I certainly wouldn't pay more for it. Lots of equally good blends available, I just bought what was available at the time especially during sales and just have no more room for mine or my wife's cellars.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
When they were still around, most of their tinned offerings were $5/ounce and below. I certainly wouldn't pay more for it. Lots of equally good blends available, I just bought what was available at the time especially during sales and just have no more room for mine or my wife's cellars.
What are the “equally good blends” in your opinion.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Like most here, I’d guess, my “top” blends are quite changeable. And I consider some blends straight VAs that technically aren’t. (I’m very sensitive to perique, and I find it undetectable in Old Gowrie; so, for me, Old Gowrie is a straight VA.)

SG Full Virginia Flake
Capstan Blue
Peterson Flake

And I’ll give Honorable Mentions to both MacBaren HH Pure Virginia and GLPease Laurel Heights. I’ve cellared both on the basis of reviews, reputation, and my expectations of enjoyment. But I haven’t actually tried either one yet.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Newminster 400 Flake (I second the notion that this is one of the best values in bulk tobacco)
C&D Carolina Red Flake

And I have to add G&H Best Brown Flake #2, but there is a touch of Burley in that blend (hell, there is probably a touch of Burley in the blends listed below; it tends to hide in unsuspecting places). BB#2 is one of my all time favorite blends and it ages very nicely.