PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Took wife in for neck surgery to open her right carotid artery. She was terrified because she was convinced that this was her last ride. I took this news with a certain amount equanimity. I had always been of the belief that if a carotid failed that was the end of the show. For some reason it wasn't. The Doctor said apparently the artery had enough time to find alternative routes to deliver the blood to the brain.
The surgery started two hours late for some reason. This didn't do much for her morale. Anyway, they got started and proceeded to clear all the blockage. She came through it as well as could be expected and is on the way to recovery. She'll probably be dealing with a four-inch scar that is going to bleed little for the next couple of weeks. Like most women she is kind of vain about her looks so she is viewing this as some kind of sign from the gods that things aren't going well. My thoughts were more along the lines of a man who is entering hell.
The long and the tall of this is I am glad she had the surgery and is doing well.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Took wife in for neck surgery to open her right carotid artery. She was terrified because she was convinced that this was her last ride. I took this news with a certain amount equanimity. I had always been of the belief that if a carotid failed that was the end of the show. For some reason it wasn't. The Doctor said apparently the artery had enough time to find alternative routes to deliver the blood to the brain.
The surgery started two hours late for some reason. This didn't do much for her morale. Anyway, they got started and proceeded to clear all the blockage. She came through it as well as could be expected and is on the way to recovery. She'll probably be dealing with a four-inch scar that is going to bleed little for the next couple of weeks. Like most women she is kind of vain about her looks so she is viewing this as some kind of sign from the gods that things aren't going well. My thoughts were more along the lines of a man who is entering hell.
The long and the tall of this is I am glad she had the surgery and is doing well.
Can’t imagine the sense of relief and happiness for the future for you both - all the best of wishes!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Damn, Dan...

The good news is dealing with carotid blockage is now commonly done, and barring complications da wiff will be as good as new after the incision(s) heal.

Compare her quick in-and-out with Robert Heinlein, who had the same problem and an "early days" fix: a length of leg blood vessel was spliced into the artery in the healthy side of his neck, laid into a trench routed across the back of his skull, and patched in above the blockage on the other side.

Even with all that, he was fine afterward (carotid-wise), and what got him over a decade later was unrelated.

Meaning you'll be back to having amazing tamales for dinner shortly. 👍

Please give her my best. :)