PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
I suffer from tongue bite a lot more in unfiltered pipes especially if its got a lot of red Virginia in the blend.
I recently opened one of my tins of Cornell & Diehl Red Virginia Flake (awesome tobacco by the way) and I did a side by side comparison.
I have a Peterson amber spigot that I purchased an extra 9mm stem for which I used for the experiment.
Same tobacco, same bowl, same dryness and same cadence. When I smoked it with the unfiltered stem it bit me like a bugger. Two days later I tried it with the 9mm stem and it didn't bite me at all.
This is just my experience but I know others have found 9mm carbon filters have helped them with tongue bite.
I'm not advising you to buy a new 9mm pipe as it might not work for you, I'm simply telling you what I found.
As people often say on here, YMMV.

JimMock

Lurker
Jan 21, 2020
What all tobaccos have you tried? Do you notice it more with certain blends, etc.?

I’d be curious to see if we could perhaps find you a particular tobacco, say burley for example, which is all around easier on your tongue.
Thank you! I’ve never tried a straight burley. I have tried a few that have less bite. Especially in the winter I try to stay with at least some aromatic mixed in because my wife is not a fan of smoke AT ALL and in the room that I smoke in, even though it has an exhaust fan, I try to maintain a nice “room note”. I know the aromatics have more bite but I live with it. I will obtain some straight burley though if you think that’s a good way to go. I really appreciate your help!

JimMock

Lurker
Jan 21, 2020
I suffer from tongue bite a lot more in unfiltered pipes especially if its got a lot of red Virginia in the blend.
I recently opened one of my tins of Cornell & Diehl Red Virginia Flake (awesome tobacco by the way) and I did a side by side comparison.
I have a Peterson amber spigot that I purchased an extra 9mm stem for which I used for the experiment.
Same tobacco, same bowl, same dryness and same cadence. When I smoked it with the unfiltered stem it bit me like a bugger. Two days later I tried it with the 9mm stem and it didn't bite me at all.
This is just my experience but I know others have found 9mm carbon filters have helped them with tongue bite.
I'm not advising you to buy a new 9mm pipe as it might not work for you, I'm simply telling you what I found.
As people often say on here, YMMV.
Thank you for your insight!

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

JimMock

Lurker
Jan 21, 2020
I've noticed that filterless pipes bite me like snapping turtles in the winter. Maybe for my B-day I'll finally get to order a brand new Savinelli. When I use the balsa inserts in either my churchwarden or my cobs I don't have issues.
Good to know! Thank you!

DarkButterfly

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2020
South East UK
Not necessarily. I was just smoking a churchwarden, WITH a balsa filter, WITH bone-dry tobacco, and I still got bitten by an (supposedly cool-burning) English blend.

As always: it depends.

Fair enough, I'm quite resistant to heat (some say asbestos lined mouth :ROFLMAO:) and thus smoke unfiltered but try to keep the bowl just barely lit to get max flavour and keep the bowl cool.

as you say it depends

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Fair enough, I'm quite resistant to heat (some say asbestos lined mouth :ROFLMAO:) and thus smoke unfiltered but try to keep the bowl just barely lit to get max flavour and keep the bowl cool.

as you say it depends
I envy you!

I can't remember this particular pipe biting me, mind you, which leads to the conclusion that it also depends on the blend: some blends might have components that just doesn't agree with one's mouth chemistry. Technique also plays a major role, of course.

Reactions: DarkButterfly

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
@olkofri smokes it like a tennis ball in a garden hose! ?
J/k man
I do have a fast cadence! And seeing big plumes of smoke is, to me, a great part of the satisfaction to be drawn from this activity. I'll leave the covert piping to Embers! ?

(Of course, Embers doesn't get tongue burnshrrrmm, just sayin'....)

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
what I have to do,? Ain't got no filtered pipes no more, the main reason I sold em off I felt the draw was a bit restricted and taste muted, but at the same time,I must admit, filtered pipes are definitely worth to consider to those who often suffer at tongue bite

Reactions: anotherbob

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The admonishment to smoke slowly is the one piece of advice that has improved every part of the experience for me. Flavour, burn, bite, gurgle, pipe preservation, relaxation, all better with a slow cadence.

I’m glad I took it to heart early.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.