PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimMock

Lurker
Jan 21, 2020
I have struggled with tongue bite. I have a rare neurological disease that makes all of my nerves, including those in my mouth, very sensitive. Maybe this is known by everyone but me, but I have discovered that besides having a large draw hole in the shank so that I am very gently pulling with barely any effort, if I put the bit deeper into my mouth than normal and place my tongue flat on the bottom of the bit, like as if I am going to lick it off, it eliminates ALOT of tongue bite.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have a special situation, so not all suggestions will apply, however I noticed major reduction in tongue bite and gum burn when I switched to non-aromatic blends. The aromatic flavorings give off some chemical burn. Even strong non-aromatic blends didn't seem to give much of that. Holiday aromatics with cinnamon etc. tended to give me the most problem. Good luck.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I agree, moving the pipe around while smoking really helps. Drying the tobacco helps even more.

Reactions: JimMock

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I love tongue bite! It usually let’s me know when I am doing something wrong. It’s either a sign that I need to slow down, or that I need to dry out my tobacco a little more.
Tongue bite is more often than not caused by a buildup of water vapor in the heel of the pipe below the airhole. I have found that wet aromatics and Virginias cause this a lot. Letting the tobacco dry, smoking out of a bent pipe, and slowing down have all helped me with this issue.
Also keep in mind that some people on this forum claim that you can be allergic to red virginia tobaccos. Apparently it causes a really bad tongue bite for those afflicted. Not likely your cause, but worth mentioning.

Reactions: JimMock
I have a rare neurological disease that makes all of my nerves, including those in my mouth, very sensitive.
Mmmmm, yeh, you might want to rethink pipes in general. I can't imagine playing with fire like that on purpose. But, kudos for giving it a shot, and maybe it will help it... who knows.

Yeh, that feeling after smoking a couple of VaPers in a row without drinking anything, and then grabbing a sip of milk... AaaaaaaaaaaYYY... eyes watering, brain exploding through your forehead, sweats... it's like mixing vinegar and baking soda in your mouth... while covered in burning napalm.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Mmmmm, yeh, you might want to rethink pipes in general. I can't imagine playing with fire like that on purpose. But, kudos for giving it a shot, and maybe it will help it... who knows.

Yeh, that feeling after smoking a couple of VaPers in a row without drinking anything, and then grabbing a sip of milk... AaaaaaaaaaaYYY... eyes watering, brain exploding through your forehead, sweats... it's like mixing vinegar and baking soda in your mouth... while covered in burning napalm.

This. It's not for everyone. Pipe smoking should of great pleasure and enjoyment. If that isn't the case, I can't imagine doing it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This. It's not for everyone. Pipe smoking should of great pleasure and enjoyment. If that isn't the case, I can't imagine doing it.
True. But the rage emanating from the frustration that you can't take part in something enjoyable because of a health condition can produce symptoms and outcomes much worse than the discomfort or pain caused by said activity. As we've always said in the threads on health and smoking: it's a balancing act between bodily irritation and emotional health.

To the OP: that seems like an adequate workaround, but take care that you're not irritating your throat, because the jet of smoke is hitting the back of your oral cavity with the pipe's stem in that position. Best to smoke slow and cool, for which a balsa filter would greatly help. Savinelli and Peterson (P-lip and/or system) should become your best friends. Also Vauen, but the 9mm balsa filters are sometimes harder to find this side of the Atlantic.

JimMock

Lurker
Jan 21, 2020
True. But the rage emanating from the frustration that you can't take part in something enjoyable because of a health condition can produce symptoms and outcomes much worse than the discomfort or pain caused by said activity. As we've always said in the threads on health and smoking: it's a balancing act between bodily irritation and emotional health.

To the OP: that seems like an adequate workaround, but take care that you're not irritating your throat, because the jet of smoke is hitting the back of your oral cavity with the pipe's stem in that position. Best to smoke slow and cool, for which a balsa filter would greatly help. Savinelli and Peterson (P-lip and/or system) should become your best friends. Also Vauen, but the 9mm balsa filters are sometimes harder to find this side of the Atlantic.
Thanks. I especially enjoyed your comment about the frustration experienced in not being able to enjoy something because of a health condition is sometimes worse than the discomfort or pain caused by doing such an activity! Spoken like someone who’s been there.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I have struggled with tongue bite. I have a rare neurological disease that makes all of my nerves, including those in my mouth, very sensitive. Maybe this is known by everyone but me, but I have discovered that besides having a large draw hole in the shank so that I am very gently pulling with barely any effort, if I put the bit deeper into my mouth than normal and place my tongue flat on the bottom of the bit, like as if I am going to lick it off, it eliminates ALOT of tongue bite.

What all tobaccos have you tried? Do you notice it more with certain blends, etc.?

I’d be curious to see if we could perhaps find you a particular tobacco, say burley for example, which is all around easier on your tongue.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks. I especially enjoyed your comment about the frustration experienced in not being able to enjoy something because of a health condition is sometimes worse than the discomfort or pain caused by doing such an activity! Spoken like someone who’s been there.

Agreed. I also have a rare neurological condition (Benign Fasciculation/Cramp Syndrome) One of the symptoms is severe exercise intolerance. As an avid hunter and fisherman, I'd much rather do it and be sore/cramping for weeks than not do it at all. It's frustrating, but if it's an activity you love it's worth it.

Having a pipe from time to time sure works wonders to help me ignore/relax my constantly twitching calves :)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Pray tell how!! ?

GettyImages-291171-lenny-dykstra-compressor.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: chopper and olkofri
Status
Not open for further replies.