PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tennessee Dave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Dayton, Tennessee USA
Okay. I would like to know what owners of Eltang pipes think of them in terms of engineering, would they buy another and their overall satisfaction with them compared to other pipes they own. I know that each pipe is unique and I supposed there can be duds and gems regardless of who makes them but if i am going to lay out the cash for a pipe like this I would like to know that I have a good chance of getting a gem rather than a dud. I have found one that is calling my name and I would value the opinion of some of you who might have experience with Mr. Eltang's pipes.

Jun 23, 2019
Okay. I would like to know what owners of Eltang pipes think of them in terms of engineering, would they buy another and their overall satisfaction with them compared to other pipes they own. I know that each pipe is unique and I supposed there can be duds and gems regardless of who makes them but if i am going to lay out the cash for a pipe like this I would like to know that I have a good chance of getting a gem rather than a dud. I have found one that is calling my name and I would value the opinion of some of you who might have experience with Mr. Eltang's pipes.

That's a fair question but may be a little difficult to answer definitely as it will be largely subjective.

"Is it worth it?" always seem to devolve to a "Well, is it 100x better than a $9 cob? I don't think so!" and that's fair enough.

Personally, I've found them to be some of the best smokers in my collection. Not only are the bowl geometry, general shaping, and drilling all on point, if you care about stem work it's definitely worth looking into his stuff. I would say one of the best "artisanal factories" out there. Obviously, the sandblast/rusticated will respresent the best value as they don't smoke as different than the 5x version with smooth/straight grains.

Here's a pretty classic example of Tom's work, unsurprisingly *very* Danish:

EOrwJaEl.jpg

When you get into 4-digits $$$$ for a pipe, I think the expectation that it elevates the smoking experience becomes almost a burden and at the same time there will be the "Sour Grapes" gang as well as the "Emperor's New Robes" gang trying to duke it out. If you're trying to spend money, a Former or Svend Bang would be my first choices in the Danish realm, but if we're going for value I would say those ~$500 rusticated pokers are the "deal" if you can call it that.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I have 4 Tom Eltang pipes and 2 Sara Eltang pipes.

Each one is flawless. His skills in pipe making are legendary and he has spent decades working for some of the biggest pipe makers in the world, along with his own brand these days.

I am particularly impressed with his pencil shank, but I only have one. It is a marvel to hold and smoke. His pokers are the signature shape, and they are very, very nice.

With Tom, he doesn't care how well a pipe looks (although that is obviously important to him) as much as he cares about how well they smoke. That should say something.

With his experience and demonstrated skill in making pipes, it is extremely difficult for someone to fault his "engineering", even if they don't like the style.

Yes, I am a fan. But I'm a fan for a reason. They are exceptionally well made, and if for some reason you find a genuine fault, he will make it right.

I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
I would stick with Jess, Former Ect. Eltang Misses on traditional shapes, with the danish touch. if you ask me. He churns on too many "anniversary" special edition, bs. just to make a dime.. Garbage.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Eltang is not beneath using his name to command a steep price for pipes that, to me, just looking at them online, don't seem worth it. Most recently he's been finishing pipes with silver and gold paint, which seems cheap.

But the knowing seem to like his pipes. He would not be where he is without a long history if making great pipes.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Look into Joura estates. Full disclosure: I have never owned or smoked an Eltang, but I’m sure a Joura pipe will be as good or better. Even though Joura makes $10,000 pipes, his “lower grade” pipes seem to be more common on the estate market and can be had for $300 to $400. Joura is known to make some of the best smoking pipes in the world, and they often have Danish influence (if you’re into that look).

“I buy Bo Nordh pipes to admire, but I buy Joura pipes to smoke.”

• Haha
Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Jun 23, 2019
Is it me or is this dude trying to be @trouttimes ?

We found his burner account!

Eltang is not beneath using his name to command a steep price for pipes that, to me, just looking at them online, don't seem worth it. Most recently he's been finishing pipes with silver and gold paint, which seems cheap.

But the knowing seem to like his pipes. He would not be where he is without a long history if making great pipes.

Yeah don't even get me started on those new gold ones... lucky I haven't had breakfast yet.

But to be fair to Tom's craftsmanship, your lack of actually experience with his pipes kind of makes the bolded statement a moot point.

(EX: Corvette is not beneath using their name to command a steep price for cars that, to me, just looking at pictures online, don't seem worth it.)

Whoo, just looked him up. Awfully pedestrian designs for the price. You could get a Dunhill or commission for less.

Having actual smoked the pipes being discussed, I would comfortably put Tom's pipes above Dunhills (both for value and for actually craftsmanship, but don't let me and my hands-on experience ruin this Pinata party.

Tennessee Dave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Dayton, Tennessee USA
Well I appreciate the input brothers. Certainly didn't mean to cause any discord which is why I originally thought it would be better via PM. I not looking to just spend money. I was actually thinking about a commission from a young man that spent quite a bit of time with Eltang in his shop. One of the reasons that I even looked at Eltang's pipes was the high regard that the American artisan had for Mr. Eltang. His prices are not far removed from what Eltang charges. This will be my last "major purchase" pipe as I am getting old. I have plenty of really good smoking pipes including cobs, Petes, Castellos and several American artisan carvers. I would like for this last pipe to be something special. Hence the reason for my asking for thoughts. Peace brothers.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Well I appreciate the input brothers. Certainly didn't mean to cause any discord which is why I originally thought it would be better via PM. I not looking to just spend money. I was actually thinking about a commission from a young man that spent quite a bit of time with Eltang in his shop. One of the reasons that I even looked at Eltang's pipes was the high regard that the American artisan had for Mr. Eltang. His prices are not far removed from what Eltang charges. This will be my last "major purchase" pipe as I am getting old. I have plenty of really good smoking pipes including cobs, Petes, Castellos and several American artisan carvers. I would like for this last pipe to be something special. Hence the reason for my asking for thoughts. Peace brothers.

Tenesse Dave, the only thing that gives me pause in what you wrote is the "young carver charging close to Eltang prices" bit. That would need to be an extremely established carver, ala' a Yeti Pipes/Micah Cryder, to remotely justify that.

Only you know what you are looking for in a pipe, and what budget level you are comfortable with. What is a once-in-lifetime spend for one is an annual buy for another. I have four Eltangs and everything above is true....he's both a magnificent carver and can get a bit lazy when knocking out a repeat line. If you are more looking for a 'capstone carvers pipe...a famous name in a shape or approach you love....buy from any reputable vendor (SmokingPipes, Blueroom Briars, etc.,) and you'll be fine.

However......just as lazy Sunday advice....watch out like a hawk at young carvers charging wild prices. If you want to PM who you are looking at, not that I'm the master expert, I'm happy to give a free two cents worth every penny. If it's Danish-inspired you really dig....I'd recomend Yeti pipes. Outside that, in terms of NA Danish-inspired carvers, I'd be leery of spe ding Eltang-level $'s (talking his top grades).