PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I do not know if this is accurate or not, but my friend who works with all sorts of commercial tobacco products: e.g.: Cigarettes, Chew, Cigars, but not pipe tabak; CLAIMS - and I am exceedingly dubious of their claim - that the code is read as: MYR - in otherwords Grangerous, if that is true, and according to them, your tub would have been produced in March 2009. The tub I have use the code: W518; or May 2018; and TIMT would be February 2009.

Personally, I do not know; BUT, I suspect that may not be correct at all; and in my mind, it is more likely to be an ID Batch Code, and not necessarily a Date Code.

Again, I do not know.

Perhaps some knowledgeable Brother could confirm or deny that information? - Sherm Natman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I do not know if this is accurate or not, but my friend who works with all sorts of commercial tobacco products: e.g.: Cigarettes, Chew, Cigars, but not pipe tabak; CLAIMS - and I am exceedingly dubious of their claim - that the code is read as: MYR - in otherwords Grangerous, if that is true, and according to them, your tub would have been produced in March 2009. The tub I have use the code: W518; or May 2018; and TIMT would be February 2009.

Personally, I do not know; BUT, I suspect that may not be correct at all; and in my mind, it is more likely to be an ID Batch Code, and not necessarily a Date Code.

Again, I do not know.

Perhaps some knowledgeable Brother could confirm or deny that information? - Sherm Natman
Well, I ordered that within the last few months, mid summer from a very big and busy mail order outlet in PA. Hard to believe it’s 2009.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Well, I ordered that within the last few months, mid summer from a very big and busy mail order outlet in PA. Hard to believe it’s 2009.
Understood; but neither of us has any idea how Very Big & Busy handles it's inventory; e.g.: FIFO, LIFO, or totally random.

As I said, hopefully a learned Brother will confer some illumination on us; leading us out from the darkness of our ignorance, and into the light of knowledge. ;) - Sherm Natman

Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Understood; but neither of us has any idea how Very Big & Busy handles it's inventory; e.g.: FIFO, LIFO, or totally random.

As I said, hopefully a learned Brother will confer some illumination on us; leading us out from the darkness of our ignorance, and into the light of knowledge. ;) - Sherm Natman
It’s got the new white, rectangular Nicotine warning as does yours so it can’t be 2009. In policework, that’s called, “a clue”. Elementary, Watson.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I spoke to someone at a shop today that said PA is still around, that they discontinued the tins is all, and will only be pouches.

Hmm

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I spoke to someone at a shop today that said PA is still around, that they discontinued the tins is all, and will only be pouches.

Hmm
That sounds crazy! If that person’s informal is correct my question is why?

Now I’m worried about Granger..... but STG owns that one.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019

Hmm
Interesting, as just last week over the phone, the Middleton rep confirmed to me - for the third time in two weeks - that the only thing being discontinued was 14oz tubs shipping to California.

So, something strange is going on, but no one seems to know for sure, too many guesses, and what Middleton is saying is not lining up with what is happening out in the world. Strange; indeed. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: PipeIT

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
It’s got the new white, rectangular Nicotine warning as does yours so it can’t be 2009. In policework, that’s called, “a clue”. Elementary, Watson.
That's good reasoning; however, we still don't know how to read the code properly.

One thing though: Is the white warning label your tub has on it, a secondary sticker affixed to, and on top of, the regular label; or, is it part of the regular printing of the label itself? - Sherm Natman

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
I finished a tub of granger I purchased in the fall that did not have it. I ordered four cans in December and all four now have it.
My friend said the Philip Morris rep is coming into their store this week; and they will ask how to read the code. So, we should finally get the skinny on how to read the A123 CODE directly from the Rep. - Sherm Natman

Last edited:

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
PA was my first smoke, and I’d be happy to have it be my last. I’ve more delicious, well-respected blends in my cellar than most people have teeth, but I don’t think any other blend could come close to what PA does for me. My favorite all-day pipe tobacco is Rattray’s Brown Clunee, but I’d never smoke a bowl again in exchange for a lifetime supply of PA
I even went 30 minutes out of my way to pick up a pouch from some mall headshop just today. Totally worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.