PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Is that you? ?

I just surfed Google and found Prince Albert online at some sites.
LOL! What? ? Are you wondering if it is my Stunt-Double, 2 movie rental dogs, and 5 mock-up unopened tubs of PA from the Prop Department? :LOL:

Check again. Some sites say Prince Albert tubs are in-stock up-front, but if you go to actually buy it, it then tells you out-of-stock. Check it out. If you have a good link for an online source, please post it; for as of this morning all the regular internet big boys were still O.O.S. - Sherm Natman

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
LOL! What? ? Are you wondering if it is my Stunt-Double, 2 movie rental dogs, and 5 mock-up unopened tubs of PA from the Prop Department? :LOL:

Check again. Some sites say Prince Albert tubs are in-stock up-front, but if you go to actually buy it, it then tells you out-of-stock. Check it out. If you have a good link for an online source, please post it; for as of this morning all the regular internet big boys were still O.O.S. - Sherm Natman
Cigarette stores around here often have tubs of many of the OTCs. All but SWRA are $29. For some reason SWRA is $35.

Reactions: FurCoat

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Cigarette stores around here often have tubs of many of the OTCs. All but SWRA are $29. For some reason SWRA is $35.
EMBERS - That's exactly right, Duane; and that's exactly where she found these 5 dusty tubs for me - at some funky little hard scrabble RYO/Lottery/News B&M. Those 5 tubs were not even found in my home state of Pennsylvania, but next door in New Jersey. - Sherm Natman

So this is what we have come to....stockpiling OTC blends. Not ESO, SG, G&H or Pease... SWR, EGR, PA and Granger. The buying frenzy is on and I for one am going to put my order in tonight. I'm with Nate, I don't want to be caught out without these great blends.
FURCOAT - Perhaps we have come to that point; I know I certainly have.

The big problem for me, regardless of all the other various superior tabaks in ball jars hiding in my stash, is that PA is my daily milk, butter, eggs, to my tabak diet.

It's a bummer every time a brand or blend goes away; but if authentic PA were to go away, I might have to think about giving up the pipe. There is just something about the taste of this one mixture which no other mixture does for me in terms of a very specific satisfaction, that gets me through my day.

All the others, I leave for "desert" purposes.

Thankfully, I do newly have EGR, and old Match-friends, Country Doctor, and, Flying Dutchman; which I like to rotate with very similar level of satisfaction; but it's still not quite the same - and, the idea of having to EVER go again without authentic PA is horrifying to me.

I can - and have - lived with things like Frog Morton disappearing from the horizon; which was a total bummer - but it wasn't going to ruin the whole daily pipe-smoking experience for me.

People can offer me Kupi Lowak coffee - think: The Bucket List, here - type tobaccos all day long, but Prince Albert is like Choc-Full-of-Nuts coffee to me; and I like to drink a lot of THAT specific and very basic coffee, all day and night long.

And, I like that basic and faithful coffee with a few bowls of basic and faithful Prince Albert.

So yeah, between over-buying the PA and next, the EGR, I've only just started. I will never subject myself to what we went through since this Thanksgiving-past again; I'd rather just quit. - Sherm Natman

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
EMBERS - That's exactly right, Duane; and that's exactly where she found these 5 dusty tubs for me - at some funky little hard scrabble RYO/Lottery/News B&M. Those 5 tubs were not even found in my home state of Pennsylvania, but next door in New Jersey. - Sherm Natman

FURCOAT - Perhaps we have come to that point; I know I certainly have.

The big problem for me, regardless of all the other various superior tabaks in ball jars hiding in my stash, is that PA is my daily milk, butter, eggs, to my tabak diet.

It's a bummer every time a brand or blend goes away; but if authentic PA were to go away, I might have to think about giving up the pipe. There is just something about the taste of this one mixture which no other mixture does for me in terms of a very specific satisfaction, that gets me through my day.

All the others, I leave for "desert" purposes.

Thankfully, I do newly have EGR, and old Match-friends, Country Doctor, and, Flying Dutchman; which I like to rotate with very similar level of satisfaction; but it's still not quite the same - and, the idea of having to EVER go again without authentic PA is horrifying to me.

I can - and have - lived with things like Frog Morton disappearing from the horizon; which was a total bummer - but it wasn't going to ruin the whole daily pipe-smoking experience for me.

People can offer me Kupi Lowak coffee - think: The Bucket List, here - type tobaccos all day long, but Prince Albert is like Choc-Full-of-Nuts coffee to me; and I like to drink a lot of THAT specific and very basic coffee, all day and night long.

And, I like that basic and faithful coffee with a few bowls of basic and faithful Prince Albert.

So yeah, between over-buying the PA and next, the EGR, I've only just started. I will never subject myself to what we went through since this Thanksgiving-past again; I'd rather just quit. - Sherm Natman
One day I hope to find a woman who loves me like you love Prince Albert. ?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
dusty tubs
That's the same here. One older gentleman shows up once per month to pick up a tub of Half and Half but for the most part they just sit there. When Middleton's Apple got discontinued a while back, I went there and bought their remaining two boxes, six pouches to a box, and picked up tubs of Velvet and Carter Hall.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
That's the same here. One older gentleman shows up once per month to pick up a tub of Half and Half but for the most part they just sit there. When Middleton's Apple got discontinued a while back, I went there and bought their remaining two boxes, six pouches to a box, and picked up tubs of Velvet and Carter Hall.
Exactly.

Since all the big boys had been out-of-stock so for long, I had to start hopelessly scouring the RYO's and Lottery/News Agency's for PA. The last score I had in Pennsylvania was for a mere 2 sleeves of 6 PA pouches; and they had one single pouch left in the point-of-purchase display - rather than take it all, I left that lone single pouch, just in case some other unknown desperate brother came in there searching for some PA. - Sherm Natman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Jim said, “
It's a bummer every time a brand or blend goes away; but if authentic PAwere to go away, I might have to think about giving up the pipe. There is just something about the taste of this one mixture which no other mixture does for me in terms of a very specific satisfaction, that gets me through my day.

All the others, I leave for "desert" purposes.”

YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT! Whereas I have over 50 blends to choose from, when I decide to have my daily smoke, which I really look forward too each day, I want to know that I will enjoy it. And it’s very very very hard for me not to reach for my faithful blue can which I know tastes great and smokes beautifully every time!

So much dissatisfaction and disappointment to load something and not enjoy it or even enjoy it “as much” especially if I’ve driven somewhere scenic to enjoy it. I have dumped and returned home for Granger. Most times I’ll have a second bowl and lament that I would’ve enjoyed it more if I’d just stuck with my favorite in the first place.

I would quit too. Absolutely.

Reactions: shermnatman

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Being in NC you would think that is the case here in tobacco country, but I have found that even OTC's are hard to find in any box store. I found some at a grocery store. Pouches of PA, CB, H&H and CH were between 8 &10 bucks and a tub of SWR was 55. The few local B&M's are averaging 16 to 25 a tin. My fear is that the FDA bans all online sales which will take me out of the market. I am close to my cellaring goal so this may not be an issue for me before too long.

Reactions: shermnatman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Being in NC you would think that is the case here in tobacco country, but I have found that even OTC's are hard to find in any box store. I found some at a grocery store. Pouches of PA, CB, H&H and CH were between 8 &10 bucks and a tub of SWR was 55. The few local B&M's are averaging 16 to 25 a tin. My fear is that the FDA bans all online sales which will take me out of the market. I am close to my cellaring goal so this may not be an issue for me before too long.
Furcoat
Wouldn’t banning online sales create business opportunities for Brick and Morter small businesses?

They would become necessary but regional and under tight local control.

As they tax the life out of us

Reactions: mingc

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Wouldn’t banning online sales create business opportunities for Brick and Morter small businesses?
The ban is implying face to face transactions only. Not many live near B&Ms and the ban would do away with phone orders.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Correct. Wouldn’t that create the opening of BM outlets ?
Location would be the problem there. Not many pipe smokers compared to cost of a physical location. B&M pricing also exceeded my personal spending limit years ago as well. Had I not spent the past few decades putting away tobacco due to rising costs, the end of online buying would be the end of my pipe smoking.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Just snagged at a gas station/smoke shop. Strangely inspired for some reason.
View attachment 59371
TIMT - On the back label of your the tub you scored is a one-letter and three number production code stamped into the rear label; located above the rear warning label and near the UPC code box; reading such as: A123.

I'm very curious, would you mind telling me what code your tub has showing? - Sherm Natman

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
TIMT - On the back label of your the tub you scored is a one-letter and three number production code stamped into the rear label; located above the rear warning label and near the UPC code box; reading such as: A123.

I'm very curious, would you mind telling me what code your tub has showing? - Sherm Natman
W209

Status
Not open for further replies.