PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As I like to mix my own and prefer not be chasing elusive and costly concoctions or preparations I just try to keep a few bulks in several varietals and mix as the mood strikes.

Blending tobaccos and straight burley and VA 'blends' I keep in their bags in portable coolers and mix in a large sterlite mixing bowl with cover as required. I usually mix up about 3-4 ozs. a week.
My mixes usually consist of a burley base (often more than one burley) with a couple different presentations of VA, some Izmir and some Perique.

I do like lots of the ready blended stuff and keep some on hand. Mostly the burleys...not so much in VA flake of late. I found Sutliff's aged red VA and Stoved Dark Va to be just great as my go to Va adds. I keep others too, but these are stalwart in combination with the others mentioned.
I've got some stuff sort of reserved, or more valued than perhaps should be either due to its discontinuation or for its dramatic diversion from my normal smokes. ( latakia, menthol VA, and a couple of bulk aros and PICAYUNE!)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wow factor? Dan tobacco's Holly Non Plus Ultra definitely has wow factor. Just not in a good way.

As for blends that will not leave you longing for death, I can think of a few.

MacBaren - St Bruno - Even though it's a Danish clone and inferior to the Ogden's original it's still pretty good.

Gawith - Full Virginia Flake and Full Virginia Plug - getting a bit more variable in quality, but still not too bad

Gawith - St James Flake and Plug - really get some WOW after 7 years in a jar

Gawith - Best Brown Flake - If it isn't moldy on arrival it's a great smoke, especially with some years on it.

A&C Petersen - Escudo - no, not the crap that STG produces, the old stuff, 2006 and before. The new stuff isn't Escudo

McClelland - 40th Anniversary - If you love matured Red Virginia, and who doesn't except for slobbering morons, this is one of the best Reds McClelland produced before they went tits up

McClelland 2015 - Their bulk Va/Per that's better than almost every onter Va/Per on the market today - also out of production, so good luck!

Esoterica - Dunbar, Dorchester, Tilbury - These feature fine quality Virginias with an Apricot topping, really they're aromatics, but apo;gosts claim they're only "semi" aromatics, whatever that's supposed to mean. Naturally, they're hard to find for some and not so ard to find for some.

HU - Director's Cut, 5th Anniversary Blend, Edward G, Makhuwa - Look for 2017 or earlier, before K&K started adulterating the blends to save a few pennies. However, Director's Cut may be back to its formal self.

Rattray's - HOTW, Marlin Flake - again, look for 2016 or earlier because K&K...well, you know...

RO Perique Series GP-11 - a spectacular Va/Per long out of production

GL Pease - Ravens Wing, Bohemian Scandal, Renaissance - all long out of production but extraordinary blends.

Ardath - State Express London Mixture - best of the best for a Oriental/Latakia blend - hasn't been made since the 1980's (?)

MacBaren - Capstan Blue - still pretty good, even if it's a Danish clone

Savinelli - Doblone d'Oro - want to smoke something that actually tastes like real Three Nuns? This is it.

C&D - Yorktown - A great all day smoke

GL Pease - Haddo's Delight, Telegraph Hill, Union Square, Fillmore, Stratford

In my humble opinion, if you can find 2016 or earlier on pretty much anything, you stand a better chance of getting a better version from when hand picking leaf was much more common and before dark fired started being subbed for Perique in order to save a few bucks.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
My staples:

Marlin Flake
HOTW
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake
Mac Baren Navy Flake
Mac Baren Club Blend
Mac Baren HH Burley Flake
Stokkebye Cube Cut
Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake
Stokkebye 702 Burley
WCC Watch City Slices
WCC Rhythm & Blues
C&D Bijou
C&D Sun Bear
C&D Carolina Red Flake
Hearth & Home Anniversary Cake
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake
OGS

Deeply cellared but actively rationed, so I don’t think I can call them staples:

McClelland Christmas Cheer
McClelland Navy Cavendish
McClelland Classic Samsun

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Ashton Old London Pebblecut
Ashton Brindle Flake
McClelland St. James Woods
G.L. Pease Ashbury
G.L. Pease Piccadilly
Mac Baren Dark Twist
C&D Star of the East Gold
C&D Stratfordshire
C&D Good Morning
Two Friends English Chocolate
Presbyterian
Dunhill MM965
Newminster Superior Navy Flake

Like @krizzose, those first three are deep but now rationed ?

Wow factor? Dan tobacco's Holly Non Plus Ultra definitely has wow factor. Just not in a good way.

As for blends that will not leave you longing for death, I can think of a few.

MacBaren - St Bruno - Even though it's a Danish clone and inferior to the Ogden's original it's still pretty good.

Gawith - Full Virginia Flake and Full Virginia Plug - getting a bit more variable in quality, but still not too bad

Gawith - St James Flake and Plug - really get some WOW after 7 years in a jar

Gawith - Best Brown Flake - If it isn't moldy on arrival it's a great smoke, especially with some years on it.

A&C Petersen - Escudo - no, not the crap that STG produces, the old stuff, 2006 and before. The new stuff isn't Escudo

McClelland - 40th Anniversary - If you love matured Red Virginia, and who doesn't except for slobbering morons, this is one of the best Reds McClelland produced before they went tits up

McClelland 2015 - Their bulk Va/Per that's better than almost every onter Va/Per on the market today - also out of production, so good luck!

Esoterica - Dunbar, Dorchester, Tilbury - These feature fine quality Virginias with an Apricot topping, really they're aromatics, but apo;gosts claim they're only "semi" aromatics, whatever that's supposed to mean. Naturally, they're hard to find for some and not so ard to find for some.

HU - Director's Cut, 5th Anniversary Blend, Edward G, Makhuwa - Look for 2017 or earlier, before K&K started adulterating the blends to save a few pennies. However, Director's Cut may be back to its formal self.

Rattray's - HOTW, Marlin Flake - again, look for 2016 or earlier because K&K...well, you know...

RO Perique Series GP-11 - a spectacular Va/Per long out of production

GL Pease - Ravens Wing, Bohemian Scandal, Renaissance - all long out of production but extraordinary blends.

Ardath - State Express London Mixture - best of the best for a Oriental/Latakia blend - hasn't been made since the 1980's (?)

MacBaren - Capstan Blue - still pretty good, even if it's a Danish clone

Savinelli - Doblone d'Oro - want to smoke something that actually tastes like real Three Nuns? This is it.

C&D - Yorktown - A great all day smoke

GL Pease - Haddo's Delight, Telegraph Hill, Union Square, Fillmore, Stratford

In my humble opinion, if you can find 2016 or earlier on pretty much anything, you stand a better chance of getting a better version from when hand picking leaf was much more common and before dark fired started being subbed for Perique in order to save a few bucks.
I agree with 100% of what you’ve said. And, my biggest regret is only setting back three pounds of 2015.

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
If going by blend type:

Aromatic = Wilke Vermont Maple Cavendish

Seasonal Aro = Peretti Thanksgiving Day and C&D Golden Days of Yore

Crossover (Aro/English) = nowadays its Lane HGL since the Frogs left town.

Burley = many of the codger / OTC blends do just fine in this regard (for me) if you can get past the PG factor

English / Balkan = Arango Balkan Supreme (surprised that this hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet)

VA = G.L. Pease Union Square

VAPER = Navy Rolls or PS LBF with the proviso that it has 5 years of age on it

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hmmmm...

Condor Plug, Flake, RR
St. Bruno
Escudo

S. Gawith Bracken Flake (Almost all gone now :()
S. Gawith 1792 Flake
S. Gawith St. James Flake
S. Gawith Full Virginia Flake
S. Gawith Kendal Cream
S. Gawith Skiff Mixture

Gawith, Hoggarth Brown Bogie
Gawith, Hoggarth Best Brown #2
Gawith, Hoggarth Dark Flake Scented
Gawith, Hoggarth Dark Birdseye
Gawith, Hoggarth Revor Plug

HU 5th Anniversary
HU Hadde's Best Irish
HU Sissinghurst
Hu Daddy Gefftl

Smokers Haven Exotique Mixture
Smokers Haven Cognac Mixture

Esoterica Tillbury
Esoterica Dunbar
Esoterica Margate

McConnell Latakia Flake
McConnell Folded Flake

Dunhill Flake
Dunhill Dark Flake

McClelland (Ashton Revival) Brindle Flake
McClelland 40th Anniversary
McClelland St. James Woods
McClelland Blackwoods Flake

Mac Baren Mixture Flake
Mac Baren Navy Flake
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

GL Pease Samarra
GL Pease Haddo's Delight
GL Pease Temple Bar
GL Pease Jack Knife Plug
GL Pease Triple Play

Cornell & Diehl Dreams of Kadath
Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning Flake
Cornell & Diehl Engine 99
Cornell & Diehl Star of the East Flake
Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd
Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz

Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs
Dan Tobacco Blue Note

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake

I was just going to put one or two but this is more realistic.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I’ll be grabbing another 8 cans of Granger next order.

From one codger burley appreciator to another, how long does it take you to smoke a 14 oz. tub?

There were a couple summers before I got into cigars where I smoked almost only Carter Hall, and each of those summers, it took me the better part of the entire season to get through a tub. I still smoke burley regularly, but these days, I've been on the same tubs of Carter Hall, Chatham Manor, Angler's Dream, Chestnut, and Ready Rubbed for a few years now.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Staples for me are the > 5 lbs in the cellar brands. I have gone out of my way to ensure I would never run out.

Dunbar
Ratray's MF, OG, HOTW
Xmass Cheer
F&T Va Flakes
Escudo
Union Square
HU Directors cut and Heymaker
Quiet Nights
Sir Johns/ASHLEY NO 44/Richmond Navy Cut
Davidoff Flake Medallions
PS BEF
PS NF