Tobaccopipes.com and the FL Tobacco Tax....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
I've been a regular customer of Tobaccopipes - they've always had great prices, and they're a local operation so the huge bonus has been shipping (they're only about 90 min away from where I live).....however.....

I had a couple of items in my cart to purchase (Sun Bear @ 11.34, some bulk @ 4.30, SPC MR for 15.99)....logged in to my account and suddenly the prices changed pretty significantly....13+ for Sun Bear, 5.24 for bulk and 24.95 for the SPC.

Apparently, they suddenly started charging the FL tobacco tax? It's been around for some time, so I'm not sure why it's something they've just started recently. It's such a shame, too - I hate to have to look elsewhere but I'm not paying $76 for a 16 oz box of Vanilla Flake....

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've been a regular customer of Tobaccopipes - they've always had great prices, and they're a local operation so the huge bonus has been shipping (they're only about 90 min away from where I live).....however.....

I had a couple of items in my cart to purchase (Sun Bear @ 11.34, some bulk @ 4.30, SPC MR for 15.99)....logged in to my account and suddenly the prices changed pretty significantly....13+ for Sun Bear, 5.24 for bulk and 24.95 for the SPC.

Apparently, they suddenly started charging the FL tobacco tax? It's been around for some time, so I'm not sure why it's something they've just started recently. It's such a shame, too - I hate to have to look elsewhere but I'm not paying $76 for a 16 oz box of Vanilla Flake....
They are supposed to charge it if you’re in state. Same for me.. if I go to the local cigar store online they have D&R LBs for cheap prices. When I try to buy they are $45 or so. Because of state tax. So I buy out of state.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet

I know what you mean. I live in NY so never shopped at P&C when they were here and still don’t buy from Cup of Joes unless it’s a tin or two in person.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
They are supposed to charge it if you’re in state. Same for me.. if I go to the local cigar store online they have D&R LBs for cheap prices. When I try to buy they are $45 or so. Because of state tax. So I buy out of state.

It's just strange since they never have before. They will tack on a county tax, which I assumed was tax in question.

Out of curiosity, I tried to check out as a guest and entered my address. I got all the way to the end of checkout and it didn't change the price at all. It's wierd.

Reactions: BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
It's just strange since they never have before. They will tack on a county tax, which I assumed was tax in question.

Out of curiosity, I tried to check out as a guest and entered my address. I got all the way to the end of checkout and it didn't change the price at all. It's wierd.
They should have been charging it all along, but weren’t. Hit somebody else I know just in the last few days.

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
The same thing happened to me with tobaccopipes.com a few days ago. I was in the process of ordering 5 tins (I’m a dedicated freeloader) of Vauen Auenland Shire blends as gifts in anticipation of an upcoming LOTR marathon with friends. After I loaded up my cart, I logged in during check-out. I got sticker shock when my total jumped from around $75 to around $100. I reordered as a “guest” and was able to order at the original price. All fine and good until the next day (after being charged the $75) asking if I wanted to be invoiced for the difference or cancel my order. I emailed customer service about the “error”. They replied that there is now a 25% tax on tobacco in FL! I apologized, canceled my order and told them I would keep them in mind for pipes. I subsequently ordered 6 tins from smokingpipes and 3 tins and a Nording pipe from Storyteller (free shipping all around). 2 days later my funds were released. I really wanted to patronize this outfit as they are about 90 mins or so north of me, but I refuse to pay that kind of vig for tobacco, so in lieu I ordered a Vauen Acorn and Rattray Morta pipe using my credited amount + +. I imagine they will be selling precious little leaf to locals. Sorry state of affairs when you are discouraged from “shopping locally”.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
The same thing happened to me with tobaccopipes.com a few days ago. I was in the process of ordering 5 tins (I’m a dedicated freeloader) of Vauen Auenland Shire blends as gifts in anticipation of an upcoming LOTR marathon with friends. After I loaded up my cart, I logged in during check-out. I got sticker shock when my total jumped from around $75 to around $100. I reordered as a “guest” and was able to order at the original price. All fine and good until the next day (after being charged the $75) asking if I wanted to be invoiced for the difference or cancel my order. I emailed customer service about the “error”. They replied that there is now a 25% tax on tobacco in FL! I apologized, canceled my order and told them I would keep them in mind for pipes. I subsequently ordered 6 tins from smokingpipes and 3 tins and a Nording pipe from Storyteller (free shipping all around). 2 days later my funds were released. I really wanted to patronize this outfit as they are about 90 mins or so north of me, but I refuse to pay that kind of vig for tobacco, so in lieu I ordered a Vauen Acorn and Rattray Morta pipe using my credited amount + +. I imagine they will be selling precious little leaf to locals. Sorry state of affairs when you are discouraged from “shopping locally”.
Totally agree, it's a real shame. Glad I didn't try to order as a guest and have to deal with the hassle you did.

We must be in the same neck of the woods if you're 90 min from them. Sarasota area here.

Reactions: Spavilla and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Both SP and P&C have been charging me sales tax for more than a year. Makes the discounts they offer not as attractive as they used to be, but they have to charge the tax by law, so we have no choice in the matter.
Exactly. It is what it is now with internet sales tax.

Reactions: JimInks

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
Both SP and P&C have been charging me sales tax for more than a year. Makes the discounts they offer not as attractive as they used to be, but they have to charge the tax by law, so we have no choice in the matter.
Hello and thank you for your wonderful and insightful reviews. They have helped guide me immensely. As far as my own online purchases, fortunately as of now, I do have a choice, to patronize those websites that don’t charge me internet sales tax. As of yet SP, P&C and Story Tellers do not. If and when that changes, I will comply with whatever regulations are applicable to me. Until then, I will seek the most economical options available to me. Aside from tobacco purchases, I will however continue to patronize in-state (Florida) B&M’s for pipes and accessories and gladly pay the sales tax. Everybody’s got to eat. ?

Reactions: JimInks and BROBS

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
Totally agree, it's a real shame. Glad I didn't try to order as a guest and have to deal with the hassle you did.

We must be in the same neck of the woods if you're 90 min from them. Sarasota area here.
Having them hold your loot is definitely a PIA. Not the retailers fault though, that is up to the credit card company. BTW, I am in the St Pete Beach Area, just a little north of you neighbor.

Reactions: BROBS

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I had the same experience this am when ordering two tins of Sun Bear. I checked out as I normally do and went to bed. Found an email in my inbox a few hours later saying they needed to charge the tobacco tax. I was given the choice of cancelling the order or paying the tax on a separate invoice. I chose to go ahead and pay. Unfortunately, will be my last tobacco order from them. So much for supporting a local business.

I love Florida but new Floridians bring their tired and worn out tax policies they claim to be escaping from with them when they head south on I-95. I supposed nothing has changed since everything is changing.

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
I love Florida but new Floridians bring their tired and worn out tax policies they claim to be escaping from with them when they head south on I-95.
I love Florida too, but the only people who rightly get to say "New Floridians" are the Seminoles, Tocobaga and other indigenous tribes that were supplanted by the Europeans. Believe me brother, nobody brought taxes with them from Route 95, 75, out West, Canada or anywhere else. Those taxes are the exclusive courtesy of Florida's dysfunctional governmental policies. Florida's strength comes from it's sheer size fueled by the migration of Americans escaping or seeking change from the deficits of their former States. This is a huge complement...that people are willing to come here despite the historically poor governance and legislature. This migration has been non-stop since the 1920's. So to those who were here before then, mea culpa. However without the influx of migration, the ebb and flow of fellow Americans, the Florida Cracker would still be living in a sweltering, mosquito-ridden swamp. I am often bewildered when I hear "Natives" complain about the millions of people visiting or those moving here. News Flash! Florida's economy is not fueled by Oranges, but primarily through tourism and migration. Yes, from Route 95, 75, our Western States and Canada too. For me, that's a pretty good definition of Freedom, the ability to move to wherever one chooses. So, fellow Americans, if you're thinking of moving here, worry not! I will not to shut the door behind me. In fact, I'll leave the porch light on for ya'

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I love Florida too, but the only people who rightly get to say "New Floridians" are the Seminoles, Tocobaga and other indigenous tribes that were supplanted by the Europeans. Believe me brother, nobody brought taxes with them from Route 95, 75, out West, Canada or anywhere else. Those taxes are the exclusive courtesy of Florida's dysfunctional governmental policies. Florida's strength comes from it's sheer size fueled by the migration of Americans escaping or seeking change from the deficits of their former States. This is a huge complement...that people are willing to come here despite the historically poor governance and legislature. This migration has been non-stop since the 1920's. So to those who were here before then, mea culpa. However without the influx of migration, the ebb and flow of fellow Americans, the Florida Cracker would still be living in a sweltering, mosquito-ridden swamp. I am often bewildered when I hear "Natives" complain about the millions of people visiting or those moving here. News Flash! Florida's economy is not fueled by Oranges, but primarily through tourism and migration. Yes, from Route 95, 75, our Western States and Canada too. For me, that's a pretty good definition of Freedom, the ability to move to wherever one chooses. So, fellow Americans, if you're thinking of moving here, worry not! I will not to shut the door behind me. In fact, I'll leave the porch light on for ya'
Among our affluent enough country men who are in their retirement it has always been popular idea to move permanently to FL ,thank to favourable taxation and gentle climat

Status
Not open for further replies.