Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Humm....Black Licorice contains glycyrrhizin which can lower libido in turn suppresses testosterone.
Taken orally yes, but I wonder what of this effect remains when smoked? I think it hasn't been studied much unfortunately.

Cigarettes seem to contain licorice quite often. (Marlboro Red for example lists licorice extract among its ingredients).

Reactions: BROBS

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I would love to know what is in the famous "Lakeland essence". It's a secret though. Very intriguing.

How I look at this flavoring thing is that if there is no flavoring mentioned then it is not likely to dominate. I accept that some form of casing is in place most of the time, but it complements the natural flavors of the leaf instead of dominating it. Isn't a fraud in my opinion, just part of processing tobacco to make it smokable.

Talk about fraud: many whisky manufacturers add caramel coloring to their whisky to make it look like it's more "aged" than it really is (makes it more brownish/amber). And they usually won't mention it unless required by law, and it usually isn't. Now that's fradulent in my opinion as it doesn't improve the product but just creates a faulty image to the customer.

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
Lot of folks are confused regarding moisture content and RH.
I can't afford a moisture meter, but have plenty of RH gauges. (little ones, about five bucks each.)

Pipe tobacco is better somewhere between 55% RH and 75% RH, depending on the blend, local humidity and so forth.
Many days the RH where I live does not get above 10% (Arizona desert). I can take moist tobacco out of a tin and dry it to any level I wish in a few minutes. Rope tobaccos take a little longer - lol.

Reactions: BROBS and JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.