PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Yes... laugh all you like, BUT, I quite clearly recall the time when we were kids, and you - unfortunately - convinced me and all the other kids in our Junior Pipers Club, that you could - with just a tub of Granger and a whole can of black pepper - not only reproduce C&D's Pirate Kake in my mom's kitchen, but knew how to "one up" them, by adding your own secret vanilla topping to it. The result of your experiment was, as predicted, less than satisfactory to me and the gang. :oops: - Sherm Natman

It's quite "Grangerous" to attempt creating flavored tobacco kake on your own...
as you found out! :ROFLMAO:

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I for one would love to know what they add, largely stemming from my love of chemistry and the desire to know what's in everything, especially anything I'm consuming. I understand fully, however, why these are protected as trade secrets.
This raises a very good point: What are these "flavorings and topping" in the first place?

Do they "simply" just add drops of McCormick's Extracts to the mix before blending? The same things used in you kitchen for baking like: McCormick's Vanilla Extract, Maple Extract, and the like? - Sherm Natman

Reactions: jvnshr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Last time I was at a steak house, I didn't ask the waiter to bring out the cow, so I could stick my arm up its ass, before I chose my cut of meat.
I can't shake the feeling that "last time" carries a lot of weight in this statement. As in yes the five or six times before I did, but last time my wife said she'd stab me with a steak knife if I asked about the cow.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
that sound really awesome. Black Pepper essential oil makes an incredibly awesome snuff. Though people are afraid to try it. Seriously black pepper and tobacco creates something wonderful and unexpected. So is this stuff still available? And if so where cause I need to try it if it is.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I’ve done this with recipes when friends ask. Why? Because. It’s MY chili, dammit, not EVERYONES.
My wife is a pastry chef and bakes amazing cakes. Once she told me that a cousin of her was asking for the recipe of one of her cakes that she liked a lot. My wife spends sleepless nights, invests her time and money in that, attends trainings and then out of nowhere someone wants to know the recipe that she had perfected. I told her to leave one or two ingredients out and problem solved.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
This raises a very good point: What are these "flavorings and topping" in the first place?

Do they "simply" just add drops of McCormick's Extracts to the mix before blending? The same things used in you kitchen for baking like: McCormick's Vanilla Extract, Maple Extract, and the like? - Sherm Natman
The use of sugar water and similar natural casings (molasses, for example) appears to be well-documented. I would assume that the toppings used for tobacco are similarly benign, similar to the scenting compounds used for snuff. I don't know that harmful ingredients would bode well for long-term use of a tobacco product.

I keep thinking of a review I read of Germain's Exotique in which a reviewer claims he contacted Germain's after having an allergic reaction to find out that one of the primary toppings they use is seaweed. Since reading that, I swear I can taste seaweed in several of their blends, though I admit the power of suggestion is a strong force. This instance right there, though, is a solid reason for manufacturers to at least put a "WARNING: Contains X" on the label. Proprietary secrets are kept intact as there is no description of the overall process.

I would assume that the more one learns about to accommodate processing based on what is known would provide hints as to what all manufacturers are doing, at least with respect to casings and toppings.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I understand that sugars/molasses are added to tobacco in order to balance the final products acidity and ph levels. This is absolutely necessary. The flavor does not necessarily translate to the taste when smoked. These are needed to make the tobacco smokable. I do not consider these blends “flavored”. Hence the confusion. Granger is a non-aromatic by my definition. It’s tobacco. I like tobacco. I like black coffee.

I dislike flavored coffee, whether added to the grounds producing a “flavored” black coffee or after brewing by adding any disgusting syrupy artificial pumpkin spice vanilla hazelnut etc. etc. etc.

What I steer far clear from are the sauced blends. The aromatics of any kind or degree. Even light aromatics like EGR kill the tobacco flavor.

Don’t put anything in my coffee except ground beans and water.

Don’t adulterate my tobacco except what is necessary to balance acidity and ph.

Burley is delicious naturally.

Have to watch to the end, but you made me think of this scene from an amazing film:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Why would it be nice to know? I think it's much nicer to know whether or not I like the blend. If I like the blend, I don't care if they spray Ostrich Urine on it. Overall, I could care less what's in it. Last time I was at a steak house, I didn't ask the waiter to bring out the cow, so I could stick my arm up its ass, before I chose my cut of meat.

And you made me think of this movie... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.