Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxpipesmoker

Lurker
Apr 6, 2011
Here is the email I received this morning from my Senator....
Thank you for contacting me regarding excise taxes on tobacco products.
In 2009, Congress passed the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (P.L. 111-3), which expanded health coverage to 4 million more children by raising taxes on cigarettes and other tobacco products. As a strong supporter of the children’s health insurance program, I believe all children should have access to basic health care coverage.
While I understand that placing a tax burden on one product may seem unfair, I believe we must act for the greater good���in this case, improving health care for America’s children. Furthermore, I am hopeful that the tax might discourage some from starting or continuing an unhealthy habit that is the number one cause of preventable death in the U.S.
I appreciate hearing your views on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.
Sincerely,

Senator Bill Nelson

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I swear that is the exact same response I received. These political moron clones can’t even write their own original responses to something they obviously don’t care to know or understand the truth about.
I can only imagine if we all gave up tobacco what they would tax next in an effort to replace the lost revenue.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
After reading that garbage I felt a little research was in order. Contrary to what many morons would have you believe, most studies conclude Hypertension as the number one preventable cause of death in the United States.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
I got an email from my congressman. It was the same generic BS that I have gotten from in the past. I emailed back asking for his views on the issue and/or for a hand written letter. Have not heard back from him since.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I swear that is the exact same response I received.

My job has me contacting several politicians in different countries regularly; it is extremely rare that the politician you have contacted will actually read your letter (as a general rule of thumb, the "more important" the person is, the less actual work they will do), more likely, a Junior staffer will read, and choose from a list of "Government Approved" form letters.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'd follow-up with an email stating that his response is unacceptible. And if he persists in his stance that you'll campaign for his opponent in the next election. Then do so.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
My job has me contacting several politicians in different countries regularly; it is extremely rare that the politician you have contacted will actually read your letter (as a general rule of thumb, the "more important" the person is, the less actual work they will do), more likely, a Junior staffer will read, and choose from a list of "Government Approved" form letters.
I agree and disagree to this. I can see this happening with many controversial topics, however, if you hit a personal note with the politician, then you'll likely get a more personal response. For example, I'm an adoptive parent. We had some issues with our foster care portion of our time with our children where no one would listen and help us, making several things slip through the cracks of the system. To combat this, we (and I mean my wife) wrote a letter and it to our state governor. Our governor was a foster parent before and knows how the system can be. We got a personal letter in return, along with a follow-up from one of his top aides.
If we can find a way to strike a personal cord with these politicians, then we might get a better response. This of course, is my opinion on the subject.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
The vast majority of them are attorneys,..the only chord I'd like to strike with them is their spinal cord.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I could swear that eating habits and general laziness account for more premature death than tobacco use alone.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
My wife works for a State Senator. Thankfully he never votes to lose personal freedoms, even if he doesn't personally back an issue. Once freedoms are lost, they are rarely regained. She reads/responds to 98% of his letters. Well, he signs the responses. I think at the Federal level, there is probably an even greater distance to the politician.

I can add that volume on a topic certainly can sway his opinion and voting, so speak your mind. I was pretty upset about a few things here in Maryland this past legislative session, but on a few, she only rec'd 4-5 other letters. That won't change his opinion or encourage him to take up a cause.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I have the same useless Senator Bill Nelson.
I received the EXACT same form letter last year when we did the petition against HR4439.
He obviously never saw any of the letters personally and doesn't give a crap.
The above response doesn't even address this specific issue.
What a useless waste of space Bill Nelson is. I didn't receive my form letter yet, but I'm further South of you, so maybe I'll get it today.
On the other hand, Congressman Bill Young IS on our side. At least from when he responded to the petition lat year. I haven't heard from him on this one yet.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If they want to tax something to fund children's healthcare then why don't they tax something that causes numerous health problems in America's youth and tax the hell out of fast food and junk food? Kind of difficult for a child to get type two diabetes if they can't scarf down three or four one thousand calorie burgers from McDonald's in one day isn't it? It amazes me how much the health insurance nuts overlook the problem with healthy foods being so expensive and then wonder why America has an obesity problem. Haven't heard of too many people getting type two diabets or clogged arteries from pipe smoking. Well that's all of my two cents, so I'll end my rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.