PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
For cigarettes. Huge trade in smuggled cigarettes
In my neck of the woods, loose tobacco called chop-chop is huge business. [What did the grubby politicians expect?]
For a few years it was rather decent - locals usually mixed chop-chop 50/50 with Drum or White Ox but the chop-chop was so good they smoked it straight - but lately it's rather crappy again apparently.

Still, it's huge business run by Middle Eastern migrants.

Counterfeit cigarettes come from China [a local guy got scammed; Benson & Hedges in the traditional gold pack. The carton and packets looked legit. The cigs looked like cigs but rather than using actual tobacco, the scammers used crap that looked like lawn clippings and shredded straw]

Cheap Asian cigarettes are found in places like China Town or Vietnamatta.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
It's probably because I switched from 30-40 cigs a day to a pipe that pipes have tasted way better from the get go and only got better as I gained experienced with packing and technique.
That was smoking two blends [both moist so I'd mix in BR whiskey to balance moisture. Bugger drying the stuff at our prices]

Then when I discovered online tobacconists; a whole new world opened up to me, where I got to explore and learn about all the different types of tobacco. [From Virginia to Burley and the different types of Cavendish, Perique to Latakia and Orientals and everything in-between]
Learning what our preferences are, from leaf type to the different combinations, improves ones enjoyment exponentially.

Being an ex-cigarette smoker, the ritual itself is the point of the exercise. Which is probably why I didn't really focus on flavour. Over time the flavours just got better and better. Even to this day, I still see flavour as a bonus.

My advise is not to overthink it. Puff on a pipe while reading a book or watching a movie.
Then one day, before you know it, the flavour will come to you [rather than you chasing it]

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
As cosmicfolklore pointed out, it takes time, and it’s an acquired taste.

There could also be sensitivity, allergies diet, etc., affecting this too.

Whatever you do, as I mentioned, dry the tabac out so it’s easy to light, so you don’t generate a lot of heat. Don’t burn the tabac so that the entire thing is one big glowing ember.

Also look for light blends to smoke for now, in case you are sensitive, so that you don’t overwhelm your mouth/tongue, with strong tabac.

Also, if it continues to persist buy a pipe with a filter, to make the smoking process as mellow as possible, as you get acclimated to smoking.

Last, good dental hygiene makes for a better smoke, and watch what you eat/drink while smoking too.

Enjoy! :)

Graham

Lurker
Jun 12, 2021
If you can, try out some Amphoras or St Brunos
Trying Amphora full flavour now From a fresh tin and same deal, Also tastes sour. smoking it real slow, can only just feel some temperature on the outside of the pipe, again this has some topping, I have ordered some straight English which should arrive next week so see how that goes.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Many years ago, an experienced scotch drinker said that all scotch tastes like scotch. I balked at that because I was relishing the peaty varietals of the north as well as the lighter scotches from the south and everything in between. — Today I realize he spoke from experience. I love all scotch, it tastes like scotch.

I drink them neat and I’m no snob. I haven’t met a scotch I haven’t enjoyed. Some are harsher examples but you get the idea.

I’m like that with most all tobacco forward blends. Tobacco tastes like tobacco. — so long as you don’t mask it with cherry gummy bears. I equate that to pouring Coca Cola into my scotch.

Granger is a mild, tasty easy smoking blend that consistently satisfies. I’m off the TAD hamster wheel. I can enjoy most any tobacco where tobacco is the star of the show. HH Acadian Perique is one example of a flavorful natural tobacco blend. Nothing but leaf and oh so tasty.

OzPiper is 100% correct. Granger is a familiar, lifelong friend.
“Experienced scotch drinker says all scotch tastes the same….”
FFS? experienced in what?!?! He’s talking pish!
I’m struggling to put a coherent reply together!!!!
And smoky whiskies don’t come from the “north” and neither do light ones from the south!
Apologies for the rant but jeez?

• Wow
Reactions: Duck

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
“Experienced scotch drinker says all scotch tastes the same….”
FFS? experienced in what?!?! He’s talking pish!
I’m struggling to put a coherent reply together!!!!
And smoky whiskies don’t come from the “north” and neither do light ones from the south!
Apologies for the rant but jeez?
Lowland, Highhland, Speyside, Islay— referring to the regions and types of scotch produced. The lighter floral scotches vs the Islay peat monsters to make a point. Islay lay in the Southernmost part, not to the Notth. Take it easy. —- your reaction is exactly as mine was when I’d read that article.

What the author opined was that all scotch tastes like scotch. I made an analogy to tobacco. In other words tobacco is tobacco is tobacco.

Unless you create a cocktail with the whisky or a Raspberry Aro from the tobacco it shares the same underlying character.

To my point, People can delve into coffee the same way — but if you give me black coffee, I’ll recognize it as coffee. Because coffee tastes like coffee. Unless you add….

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Trying Amphora full flavour now From a fresh tin and same deal, Also tastes sour. smoking it real slow, can only just feel some temperature on the outside of the pipe, again this has some topping, I have ordered some straight English which should arrive next week so see how that goes.

Aromatics would not be the way to start out, of course everyone is different, but with what’s been going on with you, you might want to stick to more straight simpler blends, like smoking just straight Virginia or Burley.

But if you’re wanting to go with sweeter styles and even Aromatics, I highly recommend The Country Squire’s Parson’s Blend.

This is a very mellow Aromatic, and you should not be getting ash tray out of Cavendish and Burely.

I just bought some Parson’s Blend for the first time, a really nice Aromatic.

There are so many blends and choices out there.

Have you tired Sir Walter Raleigh or Granger? One last Blend that comes to mind is Edward G. Robinson, @jiminks brought this Blend back, maybe he might share a word to help. This is a favorite of his, he’s always puffing on. :sher:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Edward_G_Robinson/Edward-G.-Robinson's-Pipe-Blend-1.5oz/product_id/136900

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Many years ago, an experienced scotch drinker said that all scotch tastes like scotch. I balked at that because I was relishing the peaty varietals of the north as well as the lighter scotches from the south and everything in between. — Today I realize he spoke from experience. I love all scotch, it tastes like scotch.
For some reason or other I turned off scotch around 21yo. Not sure why but I get what the "experienced scotch drinker" means by saying that "all scotch tastes like scotch".
He's not saying that all scotch is the same as the other but that all scotch has that familiar taste that one immediately identifies as scotch whiskey.

Just like all bourbon has that familiar bourbon taste [I've argued with so many ignoramuses over the years who insist that Jack Daniels is bourbon and I've won quite a few bets proving them wrong. JD does not have that familiar bourbon taste]

It reminds me of the time when a friend of a friend had arranged an . . . err, . . . a business deal. Yes, let's call it a business deal [nothing to see here constable] As we waited in the pub for this guys business acquaintance to arrive, I offered to buy a round of drinks.

This idiot asked for a top shelf scotch [forget the brand but 3 times the price of a Johnnie Walker]
To prove that his taste buds must be located up his arse, he asked for it to be adulterated with cola. Wtf?
[He ignored my suggestion that to fully appreciate top shelf scotch it would be better served with soda water. "Nuh. I'm a scotch and coke drinker!" Moron more like it]

So I asked the barmaid for their cheapest scotch. Bond-7. What the old fellas order with a beer.
Should have seen this moron drinking what he thought was top shelf scotch.
After gulping down half the glass in one slug he declares "Now that's a real proper scotch" as he smacked his lips with satisfaction.
Talk about nearly pissing myself I laughed so hard.

Graham

Lurker
Jun 12, 2021
Ok this is to all of you that have contributed to my post, Thank you for your respons, you have given great advice and I can now let you know having smoked English type tobacco there is no “ Ash tray taste” so it might be the topping / casing/ preservative in the aromatic blends that don’t suit my pallet.
I believe the blends I chose do not have any additive, they are SG Best Brown Flake and Peterson’s My Mixture 965. I can taste both which is great and the latter goes well with a glass of 16 year old Lagavulin ( actually anything does) so thanks again to all, I hope this is a general post so all can see.
Graham

Jan 27, 2020
Have you tried re-smoking the ash to see if the taste in fact matches with what it tasted like before the first combustion?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Aromatics would not be the way to start out, of course everyone is different, but with what’s been going on with you, you might want to stick to more straight simpler blends, like smoking just straight Virginia or Burley.

But if you’re wanting to go with sweeter styles and even Aromatics, I highly recommend The Country Squire’s Parson’s Blend.

This is a very mellow Aromatic, and you should not be getting ash tray out of Cavendish and Burely.

I just bought some Parson’s Blend for the first time, a really nice Aromatic.

There are so many blends and choices out there.

Have you tired Sir Walter Raleigh or Granger? One last Blend that comes to mind is Edward G. Robinson, @jiminks brought this Blend back, maybe he might share a word to help. This is a favorite of his, he’s always puffing on. :sher:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Edward_G_Robinson/Edward-G.-Robinson's-Pipe-Blend-1.5oz/product_id/136900
egr is a fav of mine too

Reactions: PipeIT