PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
As a newcomer I'm trying various tobaccos. Here's what I know so far:

1. I don't care for cherry aromatics

2. I enjoy Dunhill London Mixture, though 965 is a bit spicier than I prefer at present

3. The blandness of Prince Albert is a tad boring, though I find it easy to smoke
If you recommend an aromatic, please let me know if it's likely to ghost my briars. I'd pick my least favorite Dr. Grabow for that one.
Also, I'd like to try a flake.
All suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
-Andy

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Welcome since I haven't yet greeted you to our wonderful forum.
I'm not too keen on aros but I do enjoy one here and there. But I do love me some flakes!! I would suggest Peter Stokkebeys flakes. My favorite is LBF but LNF and LTF are great as well. You might like LTF first because it is very slightly flavored.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
You may like a smoother English if 965 is a bit much. I personally find GLP Westminster to be rich, but not incredibly spicy. I'd also recommend Ashton Consumate Gentleman. It's a very mellow English blend that's heavier in VA and the Maryland leaf thrown in than the Latakia or Orientals.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I would like to recommend an aromatic, Peterson Special Reserve 2014. I only had a sampler of it when I bought my Meerschaum pipe but it was absolutely heavenly. As for ghosting, I cannot say because I smoked it only in my Meerschaum which seem to be a bit more forgiving.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Cherry aromatics are what licking the doorknob to Hell must be like. Every time I've smoked one it takes a week for my tongue to get feeling back.
Mild English/Oriental

Lane LEO

McClelland Samovar or Scottish Woods

Gawith Squadron Leader

Rattray Highland Targe or 3 Noggins
Flake

Astley's 109

McClelland No. 24

Rattray Marlin Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Blended Plug

Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Aromatic

Samuel Gawith Grousemoor- This is the only aromatic I occasionally smoke, but I do love it. It will ghost like a cross between Pazuzu and the Indians buried under the subdivision in Poltergeist.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Aromatic

Samuel Gawith Grousemoor- This is the only aromatic I occasionally smoke, but I do love it. It will ghost like a cross between Pazuzu and the Indians buried under the subdivision in Poltergeist.
I think I may steer clear of this one...

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Do any of you blend different tobaccos together? Say you have something heavy on the burley - maybe mix it with a Virginia?

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I'm going to have to second Rattrays Marlin Flake. I wouldn't really call it heavy, but it is darker and a bit fuller than other flakes. I love the stuff. In fact, after only a few bowls from the tin I ordered a pound more of it. Delicious! It's got a sweet undertone (for me anyways) that is constantly there along with moments of subtle spiciness. Not overwhelming spiciness - just enough to let you know it's there. My favorite tobacco to date.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
As a newcomer I'm trying various tobaccos. Here's what I know so far:

1. I don't care for cherry aromatics

That makes most of us :)

For a good aromatic that still tastes like tobacco, try Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake.

Some other good aromatics:

Savinelli Cavendish

Pipeworks & Wilke No.191

C&D Autumn Evening
2. I enjoy Dunhill London Mixture, though 965 is a bit spicier than I prefer at present

A few suggestions:

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

Balkan Sasieni

Pipeworks & Wilke Bestmake or Pipemaker's Choice (a bit sweeter)
3. The blandness of Prince Albert is a tad boring, though I find it easy to smoke

I'm not a big fan of PA either, preferring Carter Hall. But for something more interesting in the Burley dept, try Angler's Dream or Mac Baren Golden Extra.
Also, I'd like to try a flake.
My favorite flakes include Rattray's Marlin Flake, Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, and Dunhill Flake.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a half pound of cherry aging in my cellar right now and I'm hoping in a few years it might be palatable. I have a fondness for 1Q but also for burley so my daily mix is 2/5 1Q, 2/5 D40 sutliff vanilla (burley based) and 1/5 cubed burley for that wholesome Vitamin N addition. One good one that you might want to try is 4noggin's Bald Headed Teacher. Its my go to latakia blend.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I agree luxury bullseye flake and Dunhill flake are two of my favorites. There was also a 4 noggin blend that I just remembered Nutty Professor. Always enjoyed it too

duqgrad

Lurker
Jun 23, 2014
My favorite so far is Peter Stokkebye 51 Black Truffle. I love it. Sutliff Private Stock Moulin Rouge and Black Swan are also very enjoyable to me. I posted the description for Black Truffle from CI below.
"Peter Stokkebye Black Truffle Pipe Tobacco is a gorgeous blend of loose cut Golden Virginias, Danish Dark Cavendish, Oriental, and Tennessee Burley which are hand blended with sun-cured Mexican Vanilla extract. Mild in body, big on aroma, and layered with rich tobacco notes, cream, sweetness, vanilla, and wood."

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Many thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to try three new tobaccos this month:

1. Ashton Consummate Gentleman

1. Astleys No.109 Medium Flake

3. Frog Morton's Cellar
Two are non-aromatics. The Frog Morton Cellar mildly aromatic. And the Stokkebye aromatic. My local Tobacco shop carries the Stokkebye line, so that one is easy to purchase.
The suggestions are much appreciated.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you like a bit of berry-like flavor but want to stay on the more natural-tasting side, try Peterson University Flake.

I can't believe this thread went for over 24hrs. without UF being suggested; it makes many top 10 lists of flakes.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
Frog Morton, Frog Morton on the bayou, Highland Whiskey (a mild scotch whiskey aromatic), and capstan blue

Status
Not open for further replies.