PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
So I have been smoking Sunset Rum from Milan Tobacconists and I'm thinking of seeing If my local tobacco store has any captain black heard it was good for a "cheaper" mix.  Does anyone have any other recommendations like that?  :?:

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Lane 1Q...you can get it by the house from pipesandcigars.com it's very similar to captain black, but (for me) didn't bite quite as badly.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'd avoid Captain Black if I were you. Low grade leaf mixed with sugar and PG. Anything from Cornell & Diehl or McClelland is going to be preferable (at least they are to me.)

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I too thoroughly enjoy (Altadis) Sunset Rum and buy it in bulk from SmokingPipes.
Really enjoyable after dinner.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Captain black isn't actually inexpensive if that's what you meant by "cheap"..1Q is less than half the price of CB, at least in Texas. CB here is $8 for a 50g pouch, 1Q is about $3 for that amount online.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you are going to smoke drug store blends,I would highly recommend a burley over an aromatic.
That being said,I will repeat my standard advice: Smoke the best tobacco you can afford. Looking at the price of the blend you mentioned, $21.95 for 8 ounces is a pretty good price. Pipes and Cigars has pretty good prices, too - maybe you wanna check them out.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I love Captain Black white....It is my favourite aromatic and must be many others to as its the best selling pipe tobacco in North America... :puffpipe:

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
It actually wasnt cheap I picked some up at lunch for $7 for 1.5 oz I notice I can find it online for $32 for a 12oz can which makes it about $3 an oz.
Captain black isn't actually inexpensive if that's what you meant by "cheap"..1Q is less than half the price of CB, at least in Texas. CB here is $8 for a 50g pouch, 1Q is about $3 for that amount online.
Where at online for the 1q? Link?
If you are going to smoke drug store blends,I would highly recommend a burley over an aromatic.
That being said,I will repeat my standard advice: Smoke the best tobacco you can afford. Looking at the price of the blend you mentioned, $21.95 for 8 ounces is a pretty good price. Pipes and Cigars has pretty good prices, too - maybe you wanna check them out.
Where is CB 21.95 for 8oz?

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I like Altadis Tobacco Galleria Blue Note. It's similar to Captain Black. I buy it 2 pounds at a time from Smokingpipes.com.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
crpntr1 would you be willing to send me a sample? I don't have anything to trade as I have just started smoking the pipe...
Has anyone tried the Lane RPL6?

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I've got a mason jar full of 1q and would be happy to send you some. Just pm me a mailing address.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I started with CBW, too and I also went to Lane 1-Q. It's a smooth, tasty, good-smelling aro for the price. My pouch of Captain Black was the last tobacco I bought from a store here in Texas. Sadly, it's cheaper for me to order from pipesandcigars.com all the way in New York State than to drive 3 miles down the street to a tobacco shop!

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
Pm's sent I'm smOking the captain now I must have lit it to hot or something because I feel like I bit my whole mouth... Does the captain have a high nicotine amount because I feel a bit buzzed from it...

Status
Not open for further replies.