PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Its the moisture content that causes it to burn hot (as well as other additives in aros) it helps to set some out to dry 30 minutes before smoking. Aromatics all bite me regardless of precautions...I also recommend trying "shortcut to mushrooms" from Just For Him...it's a much different beast than aromatics and is a true joy to smoke.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I don't smoke it very often but I've never noticed a "buzz", are you trying to stay with aro's in this Tad order?

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
Could you recomend a good non aro? I don't enjoy the buzz and what do you mean by tad order?

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
Tobacco acquisition disorder
sorry no im a total noob so I was mainly trying what smelled good and what was popular. I def wanna try a non aro now though...

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
My next TAD order will contain the following:
The parenthisis show the Tobacco with a starring role in these blends. It would be advisable for you to google "pipe tobacco types" and read on on the different types of "baccy" and their properties
GL Pease: Barbary Coast (Burley)

Seattle Pipe Club: Plum Budding (Latakia)

New York Pipe Club: Hell's Kitchen (Latakia)

Hearth and Home: Black House (Virginia)

Hearth and Home: Cerberus (Latakia)
Please note that these are not aromatics and therefor will not have the same sweet aroma that you get with captain black and 1Q. However I have been told that they have wonderful flavor and burn cooler and with less bite than aro's do.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That being said,I will repeat my standard advice: Smoke the best tobacco you can afford. Looking at the price of the blend you mentioned, $21.95 for 8 ounces is a pretty good price. Pipes and Cigars has pretty good prices, too - maybe you wanna check them out.
Where is CB 21.95 for 8oz?
Not CB - the Sunset Rum you mentioned.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
If you puff to fast and to hard the Captain will burn you not bite. I have never got bit by the Captain but as someone mentioned if the tobacco is a bit wet and you try to keep it lit but puffing up a storm it will steam burn you.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Hearth & Home Sampler is a FANTASTIC DEAL.
You can call them up and ask them to reccommend some latakia, VA, VaPer, Burley, oriental blends or whatever and they'll hook you up.
Or you can just browse all the tobaccos online and see what description makes your mouth water.
Our sponsors have plenty to offer. I've never tried the Hearth & Home sampler but they do get a lot of praise for their blends, and I've crunched the numbers and the deal is great.
They give you a sample of 2oz of 6 different blends at the same price per ounce as if you were purchasing 8 ounces of each.
So you get a fair price without having a huge amount of tobacco leftover if you didn't like it, and not very much money invested. :puffy:

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
If you puff to fast and to hard the Captain will burn you not bite. I have never got bit by the Captain but as someone mentioned if the tobacco is a bit wet and you try to keep it lit but puffing up a storm it will steam burn you.
This is definitely what happened then... tomorrow if I get to try it I will let is sit out for awhile longer. I had my pipe cleaner cut off and bent in half in the stem and when I pulled it out after the smoke it was soaked.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
I'd avoid Captain Black if I were you. Low grade leaf mixed with sugar and PG. Anything from Cornell & Diehl or McClelland is going to be preferable (at least they are to me.)
Also I did notice how this (captain black) could be low grade as I pulled out 2 or 3 stem pieces just for my one bowl I was packing.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
I left the Captain Black out to dry last night and got busy so over 2 hours later I smoke it and its not so great at all...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Captain Black is what it is. It's not very flavorful. It tastes mildy sweet, and smells amazing to those around you. Personally, I like the Captain, but none of the blends are very flavorful.
Just your classic aromatic.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I generally don't like aromatic tobaccos at all, but I've got a soft spot for Capt. Black. I might put some in a bowl and set it out like potpourri. A friend of mine smoked it all the time and I used to love that smell.
matts, if you want to try a great tobacco store tobacco, Uhle's in Milwaukee has an English blend called Bishop's Move that is just phenomenal. I've been smoking about a year and it's one of my favorites. Everyone who smokes it comments on the tangy/savory taste it has that is just really satisfying.
BTW, matts, are you in Roanoke, or do you just pop in for giant sandwiches? ;-) I grew up not far from there, but didn't smoke at the time and never knew of Milan's.

Status
Not open for further replies.