PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Hi everyone. Looking for some guidance on how to cellar/store some bulk tobacco. I was given a wonderful gift on father's day of a pound of Pirate Kake in a vacuumed sealed plastic bag I guess you would call it. It is like a brick actually. I have some already in a mason jar that will last me a while that I opened from a tin. Is it ok to keep this in the packaging it came in until I open it, or should it go in mason jars now for long term storage?

Any guidance or thoughts on this is much appreciated. Thank you!

Reactions: JOHN72

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve had 1lb of GH&C American Cherry Vanilla in a bag from SP for 4 years and it was still goopy. Just keep in stored in a cabinet, or somewhere out of direct sunlight, and you should be good… but if you have good sealable jars, that’ll work too.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I remember reading somewhere a while back that the heavy plastic used to seal the bricks and 5 Lb bags would keep the tobacco for 5 years... In the long run however, plastic is air permeable.

I seal all my tobacco in Mylar nowadays... but Mason jars work well too.

Reactions: Dudditz and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
For longer term storage you have two good options, mason jars or metallized mylar bags. The heavy duty plastic that your bulk came in is permeable, so over time the contents dry out. It's good for a couple of years, tops.
and additionally can be damaged in a way that is totally invisible to our eyes. So jar that baby up and enjoy the hell out of it

Reactions: Dudditz

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Room temperature ?. Kidding aside, I’ve read somewhere that it best between 15°C (59°F) to 21°C (70°F)…
Damn, my apartment has been 29 celsius during this heat. Hopefully the tins are still good. Oh well, such is poor man's life.

• Haha
Reactions: STP

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey

Dudditz

Dreamcatcher reference?

The C&D brick packaging isn't airtight. I score them with a box cutter,break them into eight squares, and store them in Mason jars.
Dreamcatcher reference is correct! Not many people get that! That's what I did with the first batch. But wasn't sure if I could forgo it with the vacuum pack. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
I remember reading somewhere a while back that the heavy plastic used to seal the bricks and 5 Lb bags would keep the tobacco for 5 years... In the long run however, plastic is air permeable.

I seal all my tobacco in Mylar nowadays... but Mason jars work well too.
Never even thought about mylar. Thanks for the advice.

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
As you can see…there is no consensus yet :sher:

Also, welcome to the forum!
Thank you for the welcome! It seems like the mason jars are going to be the way to go for me. I have some, so I might as well use them. Thanks for the follow up!

Reactions: 3rdguy

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
I’ve had 1lb of GH&C American Cherry Vanilla in a bag from SP for 4 years and it was still goopy. Just keep in stored in a cabinet, or somewhere out of direct sunlight, and you should be good… but if you have good sealable jars, that’ll work too.
Thank you. I definitely appreciate the advice!

Reactions: STP and pantsBoots
Status
Not open for further replies.