PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swampfox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
North Central Florida
Good stuff! Like most of you I smoke what I’m in the mood for. Like several of you have stated that seems to come in waves. Last week for example was all Briar Fox. This week I haven’t touched it as I’m trying new blends. I would have guessed more people had a core rotation of go to blends. In my mind a rotation doesn’t necessarily mean I have a Monday, Tuesday tobacco (for example), just that there are a handful of blends that will always be on hand? It’s good to see from y’all that TAD is real and probably won’t stop…

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Mine is just like last night -- down to the basement, take lid off tub where "short term" tobaccos are kept, pick up tins or jars and "no" "no" "yes" "no" "no" "no" "yes" and so on until I have a few options for the weekend/week.

Then the same with pipes!

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I normally have 2-3 tins/jars/mylar bags open at a time, finish one and open another. Of the open containers one is always some sort of VA or VA/Per.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have maybe 3 dozen jars of tobacco and I just grab whatever looks good at the moment, not much thought to it. Same with pipes. I no longer plan ahead of time what pipe and what blend I'm going to smoke. I may smoke a bowl once a week or may not smoke for two weeks or more. I'm healing right now after knee surgery so I probably won't smoke for a month.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
I keep 8-10 tins/jars/pouches out at one time, which include pure virginias, vapers, burleys, English/Balkan and an aromatic or two. This gives me all the choices I need for about 1-2 weeks. After that, I stow most of the currents, and replace with others from my "cellar" (an old cedar chest).

Reactions: Swampfox

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’ve got quite a few jars on the go at the moment, I tend to smoke whatever is new to me for a while and forget about some of the older blends I have.
As an example, I’ve not touched Revor plug for a while because I’ve been hanging out with Solani’s Aged Burley Flake for a while but there’ll come a point where I chop up some Revor and go “Why haven’t I been smoking you?!?!”.
It’s a bit like when you are forced into having Corn Flakes or something in a hotel. The 8 year old me never buys Corn Flakes because they are what I had to eat as a kid. The 40 odd year old me goes “Woh, where have you been for the last 20 years?!?!?!” Then I eat Corn Flakes for a month before the cycle repeats. ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have an easy rotation schedule. I keep on hand my own blend, Telescope - I have a 12 year supply, as well as many ponds of Dengler’s Black Maria, and my dad‘s old blend, Lazy Bones. Each month I focus on on of the three blends. I rotate these three every three month. To supplement them for the rest of the month, I have about 40 different blends, another 12 year supply, and each month I pick one blend by random and use it to supplement the standbys. This way I am always having something new and enjoying the old at the same time.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I will tell you the “rotation” I’m enjoying now is smoking a fresh little monte 5, the 2020-21 are little nicotine bombs and right after a nice VA on the sweet side like orlik golden sliced. Perfect.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I have maybe 3 dozen jars of tobacco and I just grab whatever looks good at the moment, not much thought to it. Same with pipes. I no longer plan ahead of time what pipe and what blend I'm going to smoke. I may smoke a bowl once a week or may not smoke for two weeks or more. I'm healing right now after knee surgery so I probably won't smoke for a month.
^^ This. Sometimes I smoke 4-5 bowls in a day. Lately its been the other end of the spectrum. I think I've smoked maybe half a dozen bowls in as many months. I usually smoke something I have open, unless of course some unopened tin or jar piques my interest...

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Besides EMP with my morning coffee it’s a random mess though I do devote 2 pipes to each general family English, Burley, Virginia, that way each pipe can get at least one day off. This week it’s just been a Burley cloud around here going between. Old dark Fired, Bold Dark Fired, Irish Flake, 5 Brothers, and Old Joe Krantz…

Reactions: Michigan_Bill