PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In that case, when I say "the old site", I'm referring to what it most recently was before the change. I never saw what it was like when first made or how many versions it has been through.
Once upon a time, just a few years ago, there was this simple little site called Tobacco Reviews.
It didn’t have any fancy pages, extra features, interviews with brain donors, forums, or badly written barely literate extraneous content.
All it had was a database of reviews, a decent set search options, the occasional ad stuffed into corners of the page, and a couple of pages of stats about the members.
It was a simple purposeful site and therefore needed to be tarted out to become a profit center.
Tarting out a site successfully requires intelligence, taste, and careful judgment. The original site was pretty close, just a bit spare. The last two versions have added bulk, glitzy mediocrity, and lobotomized it.
Perhaps the twice former site should be resurrected with some small additional content, like tobacco blending for the home enthusiast, a well crafted article about a carver, etc.
Just restore the search functions.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Everything from the 90s was better. What's scary is, eventually we'll be looking back on the 2023 as "the good old days" when stuff was still good! :eek:
I dunno, I kind of like the high speed WIFI and browsing the net from the toilet with a pocket computer rather than being sat before a giant box chained to one location with a noisy 56K modem that took 5 minutes to connect.

I remember it taking 8-12 hours to download a single mp3 album at 192kbs VBR, now I can download like 3-5 albums of lossless audio files in an hour while streaming Hulu at 1080p resolution with no buffering on a mid-tier net package.

I don't miss the 90's at all. Then again, at the time I was a poor, red-haired kid in middle school that got picked on a lot. The one thing I do miss is power searching on Google, they need to bring back the ability to exclude terms.

Reactions: AroEnglish