Tobacco Recommendations for Cigarette Smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Hi all,

A friend of mine has been a cigarette smoker for many, many years. I wanted to see if she might like pipe smoking instead (she had tried it in her youth).

I ordered a couple of corn cob pipes (one for her, one for me) and I wanted to provide her with some tobacco samples.

She smokes American Spirit roll your own cigarettes. Any suggestions on pipe tobacco that she might like? Nothing too fussy or something that's going to give her tongue bite (goopy aros are probably a no go). She works in light construction so it would be good if they were tobaccos that she could puff on for 5 minutes, put out, relight, all day long.

Thanks!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I smoked American Spirit RYO cigs for years. That stuff is actually not bad in a pipe (especially the black pouch with perique), so you could actually just try that. The main thing is to get something that's easy to smoke and won't bite, and then take care to light and smoke it very gently. Lots of good suggestions above. I definitely second C&D Haunted Bookshop, Five Brothers and Irish Flake. D&R tobaccos will burn the shit out of a new smoker, so I'd avoid them initially at least. I also totally agree with Hoosier - there's no one "blend for cigarette smokers." It's more about finding what she enjoys smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The key question as I see it is, would she like a change or does she want continuity with her cigarettes? If a change would be good, she might try a light Lat English blend or a milder Balkan, or a tobacco forward aromatic. If she wants something reminiscent of cigarettes, I'd still move her more in the pipe direction with a nice Virginia or Va/Per, but not bag tobacco, something distinctly blended and cut for pipes. Coach her gently on not inhaling, on sipping, and slowing her cadence. It seems cigarette smokers start by wanting to soak down the smoke, and that misses the pipe smoking experience completely. Then I'd step back and let her find her own way, answering questions when asked. It should be an enjoyment not a tutorial. Teach by example.

Reactions: Blembob and BROBS