Not open for further replies.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
This is what came from P&C for the month of June:

2oz bulk Match Hickory

1.75oz tin Ole Shenandoah Barrel No. 76

They both smell quite delicious. This month was a good month though and I look forward to giving it a smoke. I just switched from P&C's deluxe option to their aromatic option as I have came to realize, I am not a non-aromatic fan. I have looked at the price I pay per month for essentially 3.75oz of tobacco with the monthly club as compared to buying bulk but decided I pay the little extra price for the variety. If it weren't for the monthly club, I might not have discovered the great other brands and flavors of tobacco out there!
Cheers,

Jared

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I'm always intrigued why some thread get heavily followed and replied to, and some not.
I enjoy variety too. Same dilemma here, buying the same think in bulk or paying extra to discover a world of scents and flavors ...

Aromatics in general doesn't trigger much response, especially if the word aromatic is in the title.

There's not a lot to talk about. "Yep, aromatics, can't taste it, but only the other people in the room can smell it."
I do have a few that I will smoke, but there's just not much to talk about concerning aromatics. Other than, "why won't you guys stop hating on us aromatic smokers?" "Let aromatic smokers join you guys on the forum."
OK, so, here ya go, talk about aromatics... que the crickets....

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
haha, I actually didn't really target my response on aromatics but more on the variety. Scents and flavours of all blends, not just aros.

I do have some aromatic blends at home that I enjoy, but I like the way you put it.

Yep, aromatics, can't taste it, but only the other people in the room can smell it

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
To me aromatics have been frustrating. Most of them smell amazingly, their tin scents are marvellous, baked goods, cake, nuts ... yummy, but then, for most, when smoked, it's just a regular smoke, and I wonder if that's what creates the lack of interest in aromatics.

Not because of how well they smoke or not, but only because of the frustration, the deceit, the knife in the back...

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Oh, I dunno, Cosmic, I smoked an aromatic last night and it had plenty of flavor. I stop short of smoking things like 1-Q, BCA, 5100 and the like as utterly tasteless, but I smoke the full range from very strong tobaccos to any aromatic I find enjoyable. And some are very enjoyable. I am a non-discriminatory smoker and do not judge a tobacco by what's in the name as much as what it puts on my tongue. I often notice that it is always the strongest tobacco smokers that are always railing against people who favor aros, not the other way around. It is as if they feel threatened. I wonder if smoking all that strong stuff deadens your taste buds to where you NEED the heavy strength and maybe high nic-hit to get any enjoyment-taste coming through at all? I don't smoke any brand or type so long as to get conditioned by it.
Lots more aromatics out there, aromatic smokers and aromatic sales than probably any other category, and folks ought to embrace that rather than shun it in these trying times. Months back I bought an ounce of Sutliff's Creme Brulee and decided to try it again last night. I was very pleasantly surprised--- I liked it a lot better this time. It was a nice quality tobacco with good tobacco flavor but has a very nice flavor and aroma as well, and it burned great right down to the bottom without any of the "goop" or whatever some often attack aros on. Think I'll buy a few more ounces. If McClelland bought it and repackaged it as Christmas Cheer or some other name, it would probably be getting rave reviews.

I have a whole slew of them that I like. I'm not afraid to admit it. There's just not a lot to talk about. Other than listing them, what more can be said. With Virginias and other non aro blends, we have lots of abstract and open ended things we can discuss. We relate these non-objective flavors to other things, which makes for conversation.

Aromatics, hell, no one can taste them, nor can the smoker smell them, so... do we discuss the way the other people in the room seem to think of the smell?

Aromatics just doesn't make for good conversation.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Aromatics just doesn't make for good conversation.
We seem to talk plenty about blends that are clearly aromatics but somehow don't get lumped into that category.
If you compare, for instance, Frog Morton on the Bayou with a non topped English, the aromatic qualities of the Frog are undeniable.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Like a lot of us, I have a lot of Aromatics that seldom get touched; but 90% of all P&C sales are Aromatics according to Russ O. // Not sure who's in the closet?? :nana:

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Aromatic smokers just chose to smoke in private, not talking to other smokers, maybe watching TV, or painting their nails. Forgive me, I couldn't help it. Ha ha.
:rofl:

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I have not tried all the Sutliffs but have found a few I like well enough to keep some on hand for when I want that kind of smoke. Lighter smokes for sure, and you smoke it mainly for the topping than the tobacco itself.
There are different kinds of aros, and to me, I tend to call aros aros that are ostensibly aimed towards that distinctive flavoring added. But things with names like Candy Cane, Peppermint and the like sound more like candy than tobacco and I just do not have any interest in candied tobacco. But I've enjoyed some of the Lakelands, some of the Sutliffs and even one of the Lanes.
But if you give your palette enough time to clean/clear itself or just keep it that way, some of these softer smokes can offer a very pleasing experience. Of them all, I seem to lean towards the ones with a fruit, berry or similar essence. Then when I switch back to s more serious tobacco, the contrast seems to enhance the experience of both. But I prefer an aro that has enough complexity to the tobacco itself rather than just merely being filler to hold a flavoring on--- that gets pretty 1-dimensional / boring.
But nothing to talk about? I think not. But whereas a more serious blend develops over time, evolves, changes as it ages and is smoked, most aros are more fixed, and do not see the same change over time or as you smoke down the bowl. They are what they are and you either like them or you don't. And as they age, they generally fade or deteriorate rather than mature.
But rather than diss them, I try to find what good I can in them that I can, for they are cheap, they are available, and who knows, in a few years, they may be all you can get. And so you'll say that you bought 100's of tins of this or that? Great! But in doing so, you denied others in sharing what you like as most people don't have thousands of dollars to spend on tobacco, and in time, you'll run out anyway, you'll run out, or will never smoke it all then it will be wasted never to be enjoyed by others, and will be right back facing whatever the FDA leaves us with. Me, I'm learning to cope with most anything short of the department store stuff, make my own, and stretch the best blends further by interspersing them with other things I like. If some of these aros don't work well enough on their own, some of them can make good blending agents! Food for thought. There are no bad tobaccos, even that Mixture No. 79 was a featured "staff pick" on P&C a few months back! So somebody must like and be smoking the stuff.
It amazes me that in a threatened industry with dwindling numbers and support that so many brands or types are dissed to the point that new smokers are either discouraged from talking about them / admitting they like them, to discouraged from even trying them! The greatest thing about smoking a pipe over even cigars is the vast VARIETY of blends and flavors!

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
man, that last reply is a lot to read in one go... sorry I call it a night, I said it earlier, I now execute what I meant. goodnight all. Midnight has rung, a crime is happening, the murder of a pillow

Status
Not open for further replies.