PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It says it. There are handful of vices that men can enjoy. But the tobacco has to be the least expensive if we keep it to pipe. Cigs are US$7+ a pack, even here. Cigars are rather further up north. Spirits are about as expensive as cigs and up where gods reside. Coffee, now the coffee is funny thing. Never thought about how much 2 lbs coffee beans cost. It seems to last forever. I'm finding out coffee are rather expensive. Who knew? Sex? Hell, I'm too tired most of the time and if I move wrong, my kidneys will kill me. What else is there? I think that covers it all. Long live tobacco!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you put your quality of life into perspective, you're probably smoking a pipe. I have far less compulsion to smoke now, and far more enjoyment when I do, thanks to a pipe and some decent tobacco. I didn't say expensive, I said decent. Expensive is relative, but not one of mine.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I just ordered 50g Peterson Balkan and 50g G&H Balkan with postage this comes to Just over £40 over here in Little Old England, I buy in bulk my main tobacco and that cuts the cost down a bit, good job I have a good Company Pension and the Old age Pension we get isn't to bad, but when I sit back and relax with my pipe I never ever think of the cost, I just love a good pipe and a good tobacco. puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What else is there?

Most enjoyable addiction I've found in life.
gan-12-m-leap-3x3-stickerless.jpg

I am thankful that pipe smoking has a steep learning curve otherwise this form of tobacco smoking would have gone the way of all the others!
After several years, you realize it's one of the easiest ways to consume tobacco. Very little thought or attention have to go into it.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
As soon as the government started giving out those "stimulus" checks I suspected we were in for a good dose of inflation. Sadly, I was right. Being retired and living on a fixed income I try to watch my pennies. I've made a deal with my wife to forgo any "unnecessary" luxsuries... except my pipe tobacco and I've tried to live up to the deal. Unfortunately, she made no such promise. Next week she leaves for Mexico on a vacation with some of her friends. I wonder if it's too late to up her life insurance? puffy

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
As soon as the government started giving out those "stimulus" checks I suspected we were in for a good dose of inflation. Sadly, I was right. Being retired and living on a fixed income I try to watch my pennies. I've made a deal with my wife to forgo any "unnecessary" luxsuries... except my pipe tobacco and I've tried to live up to the deal. Unfortunately, she made no such promise. Next week she leaves for Mexico on a vacation with some of her friends. I wonder if it's too late to up her life insurance? puffy
I built my cellar with those stimulus checks 😂

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
About 1973, instead of getting a raise my mother received health insurance from the Fair Play school district.

My mother paid a little extra to have me covered as a dependent.

Alas I got married in 1982, but my new bride was a school teacher, and we paid extra for my health insurance.

This continued until about 1988, when my premiums became higher than I could buy my own health insurance.

From 1988, when I was 30, until the month of April 2023 when I turned 65 I’ve been hoping and praying I’d live until now, so I could get on Medicare.

I just got a bill for my Medicare and it’s $162. They can’t cancel me and I can smoke all I want.

I can buy my choice excellent tobacco for $40 a pound and even I can’t smoke a pound a week.

Pipe smoking is cheap.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
It wasn’t entirely the checks. It was, and still is, corporate price gouging as well. Cal-Maine foods profit is up 718% from Q1. That has nothing at all to do with stimulus checks or bird flu and everything to do with simply charging the public more money for a food staple.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Yeah I do feel a little guilty taking the money and then spending it on tobacco but it isn’t a bad investment in my future happiness I suppose… nothing intended against your post, just an opportunity to air out my sins. 😂
When we got our first check the wife asked me what we should spend it on. I suggested a weekend in Vegas blowing it on cheap hookers and smoking meth. She didn't think much of that... can't imagine why... so a new patio roof it was. I'll never understand women. puffy