PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
The residents of North and South America had never made their own booze. In its place they’d cultivated tobacco, and used it only for social, medicinal and religious fulfillment.

They’d even sought out and found and exploited pipestone deposits.

We all know the sad history of Europeans introducing their commercial alcohol to the Native Americans.

But Europeans also introduced a hybrid manufactured, and processed tobacco that when the natives got ahold of it, smoked it all up and became addicted and wanted more and almost abandoned their own tobacco for it.

White people are very good at making things that are bad for you taste good.:)
I think this a bit misleading. The tribes of North America (and much of south and central), generally loathed and despised the white man’s tobacco (N. Tabacum) that they brought in from the Caribbean, and much preferred N. Rustica, which they grew. There is also much documentation suggesting recreational smoking was prevalent when the Europeans first arrived, tho I suspect the everyday smoke then may have been a spiritual matter. Check out this excellent book for more info:

1705171975659.jpeg

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Several years ago I went to the White Mountain Apache Reservation (Fort Apache) in AZ for about a week as a guest at a young woman's Sunrise Ceremony. It was a HUGE honor. During that week I participated in a sweat. The leader rolled a cigarette using the sacred tobacco that grows naturally in that area and we passed it around inside the sweat lodge, using it in prayer and blessing. Apart from being a sacred moment, the tobacco was delicious. No processing, no casing, no topping, just pure tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.