PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
So, like if GM's CEO insulted their customers, since no one buys cars directly from GM, then he hasn't insulted any of his customers? Makes no sense to me. We are still their (or potential) customers.

It stresses the analogy, but my point is that IF GM were a tiny company with probably less than a dozen employees at the corporate offices _none_ of their jobs are to deal directly with their end user/customers. There might be someone who in addition to doing other things, is supposed to take calls from the dealerships, who might be passing along customer complaints.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Point of fact: we end users are not actually G&H's customers. None of us buy from them directly.

If they have a "customer service department" the only people with the number would be contracted distributors and retailers.

Not to excuse their slights, real or perceived, just to point out that their business model is not set up to incentivise anyone within the company to deal with individual consumers in any way at all. Let alone patiently or delicately.
Except that they choose to engage with retail customers, on a regular basis.

I read everything you wrote, but responded only to your reply to my post.

I have no international business experience either, but I ran the fulfillment and shipping department for a high end men's fashion shirt designer and manufacturer that covered the US market, and boy, was THAT an eye opener. It's war out there.

G&H lost their tin supplier, and got stuck with 500,000 tins that I'm sure they would rather not have had, but needed, and no mid sized business is in a position to dump that expense with no replacement. It's those tins or no shipments.

Of course, if someone here wants to buy them a half a million replacement tins that seal tightly, I'm sure they would use them.

The tops on the tins I bought a couple of years ago, with the shrink wrap around the join, will come right off. People can either whine about it and let the contents dry out, or deal with it by transferring the contents to a container better suited for long term storage. This is one of those "it is what it is" situations. One may not like the tins, but at least you got the tobacco.

In another thread on this matter I suggested, half facetiously, that they should drop the tins altogether and just go bulk to save money and problems. Went over like a lead balloon.
If people remember, the first reason GH gave us for the shrink wrap was that customers (us) were opening the tins in stores. This was before they ever admitted said that they had a problem with tins sealing. She kept telling me that the seal was normal. It was another thread where she said that the tins were bad.
The company rep here is about the same as us all just making up reason for ourselves.

Aug 1, 2012
Customers want to feel good about giving their hard-earned money to someone. For some merchants, being kind and considerate doesn’t take much effort, it’s just who they are, all the time. Others need to work a bit harder on it.
Welcome to UK customer service. We're used to CSRs kissing our asses whereas in the UK, Germany, France, etc. the CSRs are a bit more blunt and honest.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Gentlemen, I think we have meandered away from the point the OP was originally making.
For the record, I buy Samuel Gawith and G&H tobacco then I smoke their blends that I buy.
I was operating under the misperception that K&K was blending some of their tobacco because it was listed with other brands that the blend.

Nothing posted on here by GH has been offensive to me.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Your opening sentence is all-telling. You are not here to have a polite debate, but to convince everyone of your version of truth.

1. True
2. Bob Gregory is a true class act with years and years of experience in the tobacco business. As opposed to your biochemist/high street solicitor/property sales/dog rescue history. Any tobacco company would be sorry to see Bob go.
3. Samuel Gawith "just" had their export? So the whole of the USA and a large part of Europe is "just" export?
4. At least in Bob's years the tins were airtight. You have been looking for quite some time (since 2015) for decent tins and still haven't found good ones.
5. That is an outright lie. A combined stand of Samuel Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth was present in the past at the Inter Tabac. Run by Bob. See this excerpt from my Dutch Pipe Smoker blog.View attachment 252593
Just stop. You’re a pipe smoking blogger enamored of everyone who talks to you, and you don’t have a nickel in the business.
Bob Gregory’s tenure did fuck all to promote or find a good distributor in the US - a couple years after he’s gone and I’ve got more GH/SH available than I can shake a stick at.
How’d that happen?

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
Gentlemen, I think we have meandered away from the point the OP was originally making.
For the record, I buy Samuel Gawith and G&H tobacco then I smoke their blends that I buy.
I was operating under the misperception that K&K was blending some of their tobacco because it was listed with other brands that the blend.

Nothing posted on here by GH has been offensive to me.
Even more BS from the pappymac!!

You know darn well it's  GH and not G&H!!!

And for the record, it's now just Kopp Tobaccos

;)puffy

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
As the OP of this thread, I respectfully request that you abstain from ad hominems.

We’re having a heated discussion, but that doesn’t mean that you are free to hurl invectives at fellow forum members. If you can’t make your point without personal insults, please refrain from posting here.
I’m so sorry this is happening to you

Status
Not open for further replies.