PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Damn Pappy, GH is getting all slappy because you read a company's website and asked a question. Seems like a normal company would have just answered the question without all the...
Pappy made an assumption and did not ask a question, the assumption being that Kopp makes Sam Gawith blends. Keep it straight.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Again more BS!

1) Kopp distribute for Gawith Hoggarth & Co in Germany, including the Samuel Gawith brand. They do not own or produce any tobacco for us and never have.
2) Bob Gregory left Gawith Hoggarth for reasons I am not going to go into here, along with the former managing director and a couple of others. We were not sorry to see them go and it was more a case they had to leave.
3) Samuel Gawith's was basically going bankrupt and could not continue to operate. It had no UK market and just its export. Gawith Hoggarth & Co stepped in to take over the brand and took some of the machinery and some of the staff. I believe some machinery ended up going to Holland, some was scrapped.....not our choice.
4) Changes have had to be made to operations due to track and trace, new packaging regulations and numerous other regulations. All of which the former management were not capable of dealing with. These changes are ongoing. The production has not changed. But companies have to modernise to survive.
5) Gawith Hoggarth/Samuel Gawith have never had a proper stand at Intertabac before 2022. However, we have now attended two years in a row, with a much larger stand this year. And have already booked for next year.
Did you come here just to sh*t on my thread? You seriously need some quality customer relations training. It's going sideways for you and you don't even see it happening.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wow! The overwhelming sense of entitlement and the surety of the amateur has really stunk up this thread. Yes the tins are not good for long term storage, and square and rectangular metal tins have been a coin flip for decades. Compared to the tins made 30 years ago these are like tin foil. And it's not just tins but a general lowering of quality across a lot of industries and services.

When you get your tins, smoke them, jar them, pack them in Mylar. You're good to go. You're not entitled to multi-generational packing. If it's smokeable when you buy it off the shelf, you have no legit complaint, just unrequited self entitlement.

There's no sound reason to keep it in the tin. You'll "interrupt" the aging process? Precisely how will the results be changed? Don't know? Not surprised.

On the other hand, if you're intending to keep it in the tin for future screwing over, gouging, profiting in the "vintage" tobacco market, it's not the manufacturer's job to underwrite your enterprise.

As far as the various and occasionally heated and passionate expressions made here, they are made by people NOT IN THE ROOM WHEN EVENTS ARE HAPPENING, and are, however passionate, nothing more than opinions, not facts. Moreover, pulling a relatively low percentage of complaints from the total amount and generalizing it is a popular tactic in media and in politics. It's easy to do, takes little effort, and is widely accepted at face value by people lacking the "pause and examine" mental button. It's also misleading. People who are satisfied rarely post to say how much they like the packaging.

It's popular to imagine oneself as all knowing and all seeing, Master Of The Universe, without having done the work. It's also BS. But if you disagree, prove it by having your tree surgeon operate on your child, or on you if you value yourself more.

Wow! The overwhelming sense of entitlement and the surety of the amateur has really stunk up this thread. Yes the tins are not good for long term storage, and square and rectangular metal tins have been a coin flip for decades. Compared to the tins made 30 years ago these are like tin foil. And it's not just tins but a general lowering of quality across a lot of industries and services.

When you get your tins, smoke them, jar them, pack them in Mylar. You're good to go. You're not entitled to multi-generational packing. If it's smokeable when you buy it off the shelf, you have no legit complaint, just unrequited self entitlement.

There's no sound reason to keep it in the tin. You'll "interrupt" the aging process? Precisely how will the results be changed? Don't know? Not surprised.

On the other hand, if you're intending to keep it in the tin for future screwing over, gouging, profiting in the "vintage" tobacco market, it's not the manufacturer's job to underwrite your enterprise.

As far as the various and occasionally heated and passionate expressions made here, they are made by people NOT IN THE ROOM WHEN EVENTS ARE HAPPENING, and are, however passionate, nothing more than opinions, not facts. Moreover, pulling a relatively low percentage of complaints from the total amount and generalizing it is a popular tactic in media and in politics. It's easy to do, takes little effort, and is widely accepted at face value by people lacking the "pause and examine" mental button. It's also misleading. People who are satisfied rarely post to say how much they like the packaging.

It's popular to imagine oneself as all knowing and all seeing, Master Of The Universe, without having done the work. It's also BS. But if you disagree, prove it by having your tree surgeon operate on your child, or on you if you value yourself more.
Do just like Sable says. God forbid that someone spend the extra premium to get a tin to store the tobacco in, and want to keep it in there, just like Every single other tobacco company... but theirs you can't, so your just throwing the money into the gutter.

I used to love this tobacco company. Now, I wouldn't give them a dime. Time after time, just insults to us. And, I don't see how anyone believes a thing they say. I am starting to believe that the acct is just someone else out there posting to make us hate this company so hat there will be more tobacco on the shelf for them to buy. And, I certainly don't understand you people who stand up for this acct. They are insulting... and not even funny with it. Just insulting.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I, too, am a great fan of GH tobaccos. And, having some experience in the pipe tobacco business, I don’t envy you any of the pitfalls, be they regulatory, supply chain, customer relations or any of the myriad problems that face you every day (and the public never sees and doesn’t really care about, much).

But I can tell you, from my own experience and mistakes, keeping a positive and respectful face forward is just as important as producing an outstanding and unique product.

Customers want to feel good about giving their hard-earned money to someone. For some merchants, being kind and considerate doesn’t take much effort, it’s just who they are, all the time. Others need to work a bit harder on it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Do just like Sable says. God forbid that someone spend the extra premium to get a tin to store the tobacco in, and want to keep it in there, just like Every single other tobacco company... but theirs you can't, so your just throwing the money into the gutter.

I used to love this tobacco company. Now, I wouldn't give them a dime. Time after time, just insults to us. And, I don't see how anyone believes a thing they say. I am starting to believe that the acct is just someone else out there posting to make us hate this company so hat there will be more tobacco on the shelf for them to buy. And, I certainly don't understand you people who stand up for this acct. They are insulting... and not even funny with it. Just insulting.
She's direct, which I like. Evidently that's OK for you to do, but heaven forfend if someone else does it, especially if you think it's directed at you. Nothing you just wrote has any bearing on the substance of what I wrote.

Just out of curiosity? What is your experience running a large manufacturing concern that has to deal with myriad, and often just plain stupid, international regulations?

Funny, I have not said anything to suggest that I know more than anyone on here. Nor, have I asserted any expertise. nor have I even disagreed on any facts.

She's direct, which I like. Evidently that's OK for you to do, but heaven forfend if someone else does it, especially if you think it's directed at you. Nothing you just wrote has any bearing on the substance of what I wrote.

Just out of curiosity? What is your experience running a large manufacturing concern that has to deal with myriad, and often just plain stupid, international regulations?
Direct? BS... I am trying out this "being direct," but it kind of seems like "being an asshole."

I have never run a tobacco company nor have I asserted anything about there business, except what I like from a consumers point of view.

Obviously, Sable, we have different ways of looking at this, and you are throwing assumptions all over me without having read what I have posted.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That there are people and companies in this day and age who are willing to fight the endless bureaucratic and legal restrictions that society has put on tobacco usage as a categorical thing---outfits like GH&Co, and Smokingpipes---is hard for me to believe. It is nothing short of a gift. It gives me hope that humanity is NOT on its way out.

Then, to see those same companies be taken to task by people WITHIN the PipeWorld for the choices they made while fighting that battle, Monday Morning Quarterback-style, is disappointing beyond description.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That there are people and companies in this day and age who are willing to fight the endless bureaucratic and legal restrictions that society has put on tobacco usage as a categorical thing---outfits like GH&Co, and Smokingpipes---is hard for me to believe. It is nothing short of a gift. It gives me hope that humanity is NOT on its way out.

Then, to see those same companies be taken to task by people WITHIN the PipeWorld for the choices they made while fighting that battle, Monday Morning Quarterback-style, is disappointing beyond description.
You simply need to compare the customer-facing approach (and policies) of Smokingpipes and Gawith Hoggarth to see the right way to deal with customers and the wrong way.

Just because GH deals with the same issues as every other tobacco manufacturer in the world, doesn’t give them carte blanche to treat customers like dog poo, and it doesn’t make them altruistic. They, like every other successful business, is in it for the money. Nothing wrong with that, and everything right about it.

Where GH goes off the rails is the abrasive and dismissive nature of their customer-facing presence. When customers speak, a responsible company listens and then explains their response in a respectful manner. @swilford is poster child for customer relations in the tobacco trade. Gawith Hoggarth would be wise to study how he interacts with his customers, and then emulate him.

Substance is what matters, not style.
Maybe to you. Maybe to some others. But, Sykes is just as much substantive... without making people feel insulted or gaslit.

If I have two gas stations, same prices, but one is insulting and the other is helpful and courteous... you know which one I will go to... and which one I will recommend people visit... Heck, we have a grocery store in town that smells funny and the people at the register are all disgruntled, and even though they would save me money, I refuse to go in there. Don't underestimate the power of courtesy.

But, then again, I am Southern. Courtesy is expected. I notice people further North seem to lack courtesy, so maybe not everyone values this, as I do. Just seems weird as hell to me.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
Since I lack Sables’s diplomacy and tact, I’ll be direct: GH isn’t being abrasive some of you are just morons and don’t deserve the respect you feel you so rightly deserve. It’s always the same handful that show up anytime GH gets mentioned that try to browbeat her into admitting they’re correct and have a fit like a petulant teenager when she doesn't agree.

Ya’ll are the ones coming off as abrasive and you lack the self awareness to see it. You’ve said your peace dozens of times at this point - be an adult and move on. The world owes you nothing so vote with your dollars.

It’s nice to hear directly from GH and I wouldn’t be surprised to see her give up communicating here thanks to a tiny minority that won’t quit whining and constantly piling on. And most of you are too self centered to care that those of us that appreciate their presence might lose it thanks to you

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Since I lack Sables’s diplomacy and tact, I’ll be direct: GH isn’t being abrasive some of you are just morons and don’t deserve the respect you feel you so rightly deserve. It’s always the same handful that show up anytime GH gets mentioned that try to browbeat her into admitting they’re correct and have a fit like a petulant teenager when she doesn't agree.

Ya’ll are the ones coming off as abrasive and you lack the self awareness to see it. You’ve said your peace dozens of times at this point - be an adult and move on. The world owes you nothing so vote with your dollars.

It’s nice to hear directly from GH and I wouldn’t be surprised to see her give up communicating here thanks to a tiny minority that won’t quit whining and constantly piling on. And most of you are too self centered to care that those of us that appreciate their presence might lose it thanks to you
As the OP of this thread, I respectfully request that you abstain from ad hominems.

We’re having a heated discussion, but that doesn’t mean that you are free to hurl invectives at fellow forum members. If you can’t make your point without personal insults, please refrain from posting here.

You totally missed the point. But, since it doesn't bother you, if I said that your post was "BS" that wouldn't bother you.
Jeff-lebowski GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Reactions: Friendly Piper

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Point of fact: we end users are not actually G&H's customers. None of us buy from them directly.

If they have a "customer service department" the only people with the number would be contracted distributors and retailers.

Not to excuse their slights, real or perceived, just to point out that their business model is not set up to incentivise anyone within the company to deal with individual consumers in any way at all. Let alone patiently or delicately.

Point of fact: we end users are not actually G&H's customers. None of us buy from them directly.

If they have a "customer service department" the only people with the number would be contracted distributors and retailers.

Not to excuse their slights, real or perceived, just to point out that their business model is not set up to incentivise anyone within the company to deal with individual consumers in any way at all. Let alone patiently or delicately.
So, like if GM's CEO insulted their customers, since no one buys cars directly from GM, then he hasn't insulted any of his customers? Makes no sense to me. We are still their (or potential) customers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

I read everything you wrote, but responded only to your reply to my post.

I have no international business experience either, but I ran the fulfillment and shipping department for a high end men's fashion shirt designer and manufacturer that covered the US market, and boy, was THAT an eye opener. It's war out there.

G&H lost their tin supplier, and got stuck with 500,000 tins that I'm sure they would rather not have had, but needed, and no mid sized business is in a position to dump that expense with no replacement. It's those tins or no shipments.

Of course, if someone here wants to buy them a half a million replacement tins that seal tightly, I'm sure they would use them.

The tops on the tins I bought a couple of years ago, with the shrink wrap around the join, will come right off. People can either whine about it and let the contents dry out, or deal with it by transferring the contents to a container better suited for long term storage. This is one of those "it is what it is" situations. One may not like the tins, but at least you got the tobacco.

In another thread on this matter I suggested, half facetiously, that they should drop the tins altogether and just go bulk to save money and problems. Went over like a lead balloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.