SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014
What kind of tobacco--category, brand, or specific flavor--would you recommend to new smokers?
Happy to have your thoughts--cheers!
The best blends for beginners are any blends that burn quickly, just so you don't have to burn your tongue from re-lights.
Shag Cut, or Oriental forward, or Burley Forward blends.

You should get a tin of Virginia Flake just to see what it's about, if it works for you then great, but Flakes can be highly temperamental.

Reactions: Sanzini

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
What kind of tobacco--category, brand, or specific flavor--would you recommend to new smokers?
I would grab a blend from each genre (straight virginia, Va/Per, Burley, English, etc). Perusing reviews and this website can clue you in to what is well-regarded. When you find a genre you like, start branching out from there to find your favorites.

Last edited:

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I've tried pipes over the years, but never got past the tongue bite, so gave up before I really started.

I've taken it back up, about 6 or 7 week ago. I've read a plethora of articles, reviews, and forum posts. I've asked a fair amount of questions, and even watched quite a few YouTube vids.

Overall, I like aros, but they do tend to be tongue biters. The key to avoid tongue bite is to go slow. Since I've started pipes again, I can honestly say I haven't had a single case of tongue bite, knock on wood.

I live in the California desert and temps have been 100+ since mid May, so I only smoke early in the morning and dusk into night when its cooler.

My first picks were a very flavorful aro, two english blends, a VaPer and PS Highland Whiskey. Next I bought PS Luxury Navy Flake, followed those with two black Cavendish blends, followed by Peterson Irish Dew and C&D Black Frigate.

The aro I mentioned was like smoking fruit punch that had been reduced to a syrup. Very "flavorful".

The Black Frigate, I've only had one bowl, was like smoking potpourri. Spicy, and very floral. I'll have to acquire a taste for it, in small doses, much like I've come to love a good single malt, single barrel, and a good stout ?.

Today, I ordered four Virginia blends, to expand my variety. In a week or two, it'll be burleys.

I jar everything in 8oz mason jars, so anything I don't take an immediate liking to, I can revisit down the road.

You've said it yourself, there's so many choices, and it's hard to get a feel on where to even start, so like so many others have said, try a little of everything and you're bound to hit on some that just say "order more" ?.

Happy piping, and Cheers!

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
My recommendations, in no particular order, would be a pouch of OTC (or OTC Match) like Carter Hall or SWR or Prince Albert or something like that. Sutliff's Match Field and Stream is my hands down favorite in that genre, with Carter Hall a very close second.

Peterson Irish Flake or St. Bruno are good options for if you want a pipe in those times/ situations you'd reach for a cigarette. After dinner, for example, with stronger nicotine, bolder flavors.

English blends you might appreciate. Those nice stout robust blends with Latakia you'll definitely taste.

And finally, there are a few different blends with cigar leaf in them. If you like the flavor of cigars (I'm assuming you do), a few ribbons of that leaf might add something pleasantly familiar in your pipe. C&D Haunted Bookshop for me does the same with cigarettes.

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
My recommendations, in no particular order, would be a pouch of OTC (or OTC Match) like Carter Hall or SWR or Prince Albert or something like that. Sutliff's Match Field and Stream is my hands down favorite in that genre, with Carter Hall a very close second.

Peterson Irish Flake or St. Bruno are good options for if you want a pipe in those times/ situations you'd reach for a cigarette. After dinner, for example, with stronger nicotine, bolder flavors.

English blends you might appreciate. Those nice stout robust blends with Latakia you'll definitely taste.

And finally, there are a few different blends with cigar leaf in them. If you like the flavor of cigars (I'm assuming you do), a few ribbons of that leaf might add something pleasantly familiar in your pipe. C&D Haunted Bookshop for me does the same with cigarettes.
Thanks for this. Just picked up a pouch of Captain Black Gold as I found out that’s mostly what my dad used to smoke. Had one bowl - good stuff. Will make a fine inexpensive OTC go-to among my modest collection.

Haunted Bookshop is on my wish list. ??

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I recommend D&R Rimboche AP as an introductory smoke. It is a very forgiving tobacco. It comes ready to smoke (not too wet not too dry). It is springy, easy to pack and stays lit better than most even if it’s a little loose or tight. It’s very forgiving of cadence, you can push it a little without getting bit and it stays lit better when you slow down. It’s inexpensive, readily available, good quality and enjoyable. The only drawback I know of is the size of the bag. If you want to try it PM me your address.

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
I recommend D&R Rimboche AP as an introductory smoke. It is a very forgiving tobacco. It comes ready to smoke (not too wet not too dry). It is springy, easy to pack and stays lit better than most even if it’s a little loose or tight. It’s very forgiving of cadence, you can push it a little without getting bit and it stays lit better when you slow down. It’s inexpensive, readily available, good quality and enjoyable. The only drawback I know of is the size of the bag. If you want to try it PM me your address.
Thank you sir - PM sent!

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
Carter Hall, Chatham Manor for the OTC blends. Then maybe a good English/Balkan blend like C&D Byzantium.
I would avoid the aromatics for until you are comfortable smoking those tobaccos. Aromatics can be overly moist and problematic for newer smokers. But, YMMV. Everyone is different.

The OTC burley blends are easy to smoke and are forgiving if your technique id not spot on. The English blends will give you a lot of flavor (which is what a lot of new smokers are chasing).

Just smoke slow and make sure your tobacco is dried out, but not crispy.

Pretty much this in my opinion. Though I've never tried Chatham Manor (never seen it down where I am) I can recommend Carter Hall. It was my go to smoke for many years. Though I like to dry it just a bit--Florida is humid and when I was in high school and in my 20s Mother relegated my smoking to the garage and outside. She's a non-smoker and didn't really want smoke in the house, not so much she found it offensive.

An other I would recommend is Prince Albert which has been my "at work" blend for years as I've found that English/Balkan bends can be offensive to some but Albert is accepted--or at least it is in the South. I suspect that is because many people have a father or grandfather that smoked it so the nostalgia factor is working in my favor there.

Over all I'd tell someone who is trying to discover their own tobacco tastes to try a little of everything, smoke it slowly and discover what you like. Pipe smoking is "customizable" (for lack of a better term) in a way that smoking cigars or cigarettes never will be.

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
I would recommend a nice blend of each big category of baccy.
Latakia: peterson 965
Virginia: Capstan blue
Virginia-perique: peterson deluxe navy rolls
Virginia-kentucky: mac baren old dark fired and Solani silverflake
Thank you. Of the ones you mention, I have some Mac Baren Old Dark Fired and really enjoy it. Will add these others to my wish list. Cheers!

Reactions: Kal

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Mike - Thanks so much for the sample. Very kind of you and much appreciated. I’ll report back after I try it. Maybe I can return the favor sometime. Cheers!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
An aromatic, an English, a VA flake, a burley blend.

Try one of each. Whatever sounds good. Whichever blends capture your attention, explore those genres.

Then a couple years from now, you'll have it all figured out and realize you have way too many blends and start to zero in on your favorites. Most of your favorites will probably be stuff you never even liked in the beginning. It'll probably be Virginia flakes. Lots of Virginia flakes.

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Completely up to you. I would try to get a basic understanding of the different tobaccos and different blends, and stay away from flavored tobaccos. Then you can focus in on what you really like.

I have tried many blends, and I stick with Balkan and Orientals, but that is just my preference. Enjoy the journey!

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Trying a variety as others have suggested is great to figure out things you like...and don't like. Something really straight forward like D&R three sails might be a good choice. Basic VA, not much prep or drying, very forgiving of packing mistakes, and has a mild but enjoyable flavor. Kind of a good starter everyday smoke, and then keep the variety pack of flakes, ropes, cakes, coins, and others around for when you have some time to spend learning the various techniques needed to get a good smoke from them. Too much fancy stuff early can get frustrating for some. Enjoy!