PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
While you are experimenting and enjoying this phase of your pipe smoking experience, I recommend getting yourself a variety of types of pipe tobaccos. Get some canning jars from the dollar store, and then you can work your way through a variety of blends at your own pace. Sometimes you might find a blend you dislike at first, stick it in the jar for a few months, and then come back and find you enjoy it much more.
As far as blends to try, give Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, a try. It's a fine, inexpensive way to learn how to smoke flakes, won't have a tendency to give you tongue bite like many of the aromatic blends will, and I find it to be a tasty, satisfying smoke.
Also, keep in mind as you get going that some blends have a tendency to ghost up your pipe and add that blends flavor to the next several blends you smoke, even if you clean the pipe well. You'll find a bunch of great advice and wisdom in the pinned posts, definitely check them out!
Best of luck to you!

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
If you can find a tobacco store, go in there and start with what smells good to you. If you don't have a tobacconist available, Captain Black, Amphora, Carter Hall, Prince Albert are good starters. If that tobacco that smells good doesn't smoke as you thought, try something else.

When I started with pipes I loved the smell of Latakia but I gagged when trying to smoke it. My palate gradually embraced it but the aroma was better than the actual smoke when I started. It's a matter of trying a lot of tobaccos and coming back to them after a while.

Online tobacco shops offer a lot of mellow and easy-to-smoke blends like Lane Limited Q1. Q1 has a slight aroma but it smokes a lot better than it's aroma. It's all mostly trial and error since everybody's palate is different.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Have you tried anything that you like yet? Did you try and English that was good or an OTC that caught your fancy like Half and Half? Aromatics can be a bit tough on the tongue bite wise, but a heavier English with mare Latakia may not, but...the flavor can be too much for some...The answer to your question has lots of possibilities. So as a suggestion:
Lanes 1-Q Get two oz and try it (Very popular all day blend)
Mac Baren 7 Seas Red (A gentle aromatic with some cherry in it)
Presbyterian (Nice English intro)
Peterson Mixture 965 (A bit stronger English)
C&D Bayou Nights (Heavy duty - I think- spicy perique blend)

Just a few thoughts. Good luck and enjoy the experiment. There are no right or wrong suggestions.
I bought three 2 oz. bags when I bought the first pipe from The Gatlinburlier Pipe, Pipe Tobacco, Cigar and Chewing Tobacco Store. - https://gatlinburlier.com/:
- Cades Cove Cavendish
Bright & Dark cavendish, lightly sweet, with a cookie - like aroma. Our best seller for more than thirty years.

- Mellow Moonshine
Cavendish cut Burley with a hint of peach brandy - a lot more mellow than moonshine.

- Newfound Blend
Rough cut Burley & Bright with a nut like flavor. Our coolest burning blend.

I'm slowing working through these, but of the three I've all but decided I don't care for the cavendish. The other two are great.

btw - Dudditz? Stephen King fan?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
While you are experimenting and enjoying this phase of your pipe smoking experience, I recommend getting yourself a variety of types of pipe tobaccos. Get some canning jars from the dollar store, and then you can work your way through a variety of blends at your own pace. Sometimes you might find a blend you dislike at first, stick it in the jar for a few months, and then come back and find you enjoy it much more.
As far as blends to try, give Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, a try. It's a fine, inexpensive way to learn how to smoke flakes, won't have a tendency to give you tongue bite like many of the aromatic blends will, and I find it to be a tasty, satisfying smoke.
Also, keep in mind as you get going that some blends have a tendency to ghost up your pipe and add that blends flavor to the next several blends you smoke, even if you clean the pipe well. You'll find a bunch of great advice and wisdom in the pinned posts, definitely check them out!
Best of luck to you!
Thanks - cheers!

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
I bought three 2 oz. bags when I bought the first pipe from The Gatlinburlier Pipe, Pipe Tobacco, Cigar and Chewing Tobacco Store. - https://gatlinburlier.com/:
- Cades Cove Cavendish
Bright & Dark cavendish, lightly sweet, with a cookie - like aroma. Our best seller for more than thirty years.

- Mellow Moonshine
Cavendish cut Burley with a hint of peach brandy - a lot more mellow than moonshine.

- Newfound Blend
Rough cut Burley & Bright with a nut like flavor. Our coolest burning blend.

I'm slowing working through these, but of the three I've all but decided I don't care for the cavendish. The other two are great.

btw - Dudditz? Stephen King fan? ...Yes. You are the 2nd person to notice.

Reactions: Sanzini
Before I suggested a first blend, I’d want to know a few things first.
Do/did you smoke cigarettes or cigars?
Do you plan to just smoke after dinner? Do you think of sweets or fruits when you think of pipes?
What brands did you grow up having older men smoke around you?
How do you feel about burning tires or dumpster fires?
Do you plan on smoking inside or outside? Are you married or have a sig other? How do they feel about your smoking?

Even then, it will take you a while to get your technique down. Tasting the tobacco also takes some practice.
Even then, it will take you a while to get your technique down. Tasting the tobacco also takes some practice.
Whatever you choose you will want to give some time.

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Before I suggested a first blend, I’d want to know a few things first.
Do/did you smoke cigarettes or cigars?
Do you plan to just smoke after dinner? Do you think of sweets or fruits when you think of pipes?
What brands did you grow up having older men smoke around you?
How do you feel about burning tires or dumpster fires?
Do you plan on smoking inside or outside? Are you married or have a sig other? How do they feel about your smoking?

Whatever you choose you will want to give some time.
Love the careful consideration in these questions. So since you took the time...
- cigs and cigars: yes to both. Still smoke cigars occasionally.
- after dinner: yes, but other times too.
- sweet: I suppose so; fruits - not so much
- no idea what brands I was exposed to early
- outside only for now. Wife doesn't mind, just not in the house.
- ummm...no to burning tires or dumpsters.

Love the careful consideration in these questions. So since you took the time...
- cigs and cigars: yes to both. Still smoke cigars occasionally.
- after dinner: yes, but other times too.
- sweet: I suppose so; fruits - not so much
- no idea what brands I was exposed to early
- outside only for now. Wife doesn't mind, just not in the house.
- ummm...no to burning tires or dumpsters.
You could start with a Virginia, since you’ve had cigar and cigarette experience, maybe Peter Stokkebye’s Luxury Twist Flake. It is a Virginia Cavendish, which will smoke easy and cool. It has a very pleasant aroma, sweet, but not cloying. And of the other straight Virginia would work as well.
You could also consider MacBaren’s Golden Extra or Stokkebye’s Cube cut also. Those will smoke cool, with a balance of burley and Virginias.
But, any Virginia might hit your needs.

You could start with a Virginia, since you’ve had cigar and cigarette experience, maybe Peter Stokkebye’s Luxury Twist Flake. It is a Virginia Cavendish, which will smoke easy and cool. It has a very pleasant aroma, sweet, but not cloying. And of the other straight Virginia would work as well.
You could also consider MacBaren’s Golden Extra or Stokkebye’s Cube cut also. Those will smoke cool, with a balance of burley and Virginias.
But, any Virginia might hit your needs.
Don’t look for big plumes of smoke. If you want a bigger smoke factor, maybe look to a light English.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
One thing that I've noticed on my pipe tobacco journey is that my tastes in tobacco somewhat mirror my tastes in drinks.

I really like bold whiskies, so I also like medium to heavy English Blends. But I also like a good Gin Martini from time to time as well as a good cup of tea, which remind me of straight Virginia blends to a degree because they are lighter in flavor. I like a good hoppy IPA sometimes which reminds me of a good Virginia-Perique blend for its complex and spicy/fruity notes.

One thing I don't really like to drink: overly sweet drinks. Maybe that's why I don't normally care for really sweet Aromatics.

There are, of course, exceptions to every rule. And as everyone here has mentioned, your tastes are going to change. What you adore right now might not tickle your fancy in 6 months. And what you think tastes like hot garbage today, you might fall in love with in about 12 months.

Also, my smoking preferences are heavily influenced by the weather. If its 8000* Kelvin outside, then I'm not too keen on smoking a heavy English Blend. The smell of my own hair burning is sufficient.

But on a cool night with a dram of good whiskey by the firepit, it's hard to beat a good English Blend. Just like a Straight Virginia goes great on a warm Summer day with a Gin and Tonic.

Get a few 1oz bulk samples and give each one its due. Happy Exploring!