Tobacco for Breaking in a New Pipe- Suggestions!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This question gets asked (and answered in varying ways) quite often. A quick Google search would have shown you the results.
But if he started the thread, without asking the question, it would just be an empty thread.... With no question.

😂 THEN WHAT WOULD WE TALK ABOUT IN HERE????

Back to the OP:

I think burley blends break pipes in fast. I also only smoke burleys blends. This pipe had no coating in the chamber, and it was completely caked in about 20 pipes.

This is at about 40 bowls.

1000003990.jpg
Mmmmmmmm cake.......

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
But if he started the thread, without asking the question, it would just be an empty thread.... With no question.

😂 THEN WHAT WOULD WE TALK ABOUT IN HERE????

Back to the OP:

I think burley blends break pipes in fast. I also only smoke burleys blends. This pipe had no coating in the chamber, and it was completely caked in about 20 pipes.

This is at about 40 bowls.

View attachment 321037
Mmmmmmmm cake.......

Let them eat cake.

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I'm also in the "smoke what you like" camp, though I will say that Carter Hall burns quick, cool, and leaves a particularly thick and neutral tasting cake so I think it makes a great blend for breaking in new pipes or de-ghosting an estate pipe.

For green tasting cobs or any pipe that has an unpleasant tasting coating in the bowl I like using strongly flavored but not overly wet aromatics like Cult Blood Red Moon to break them in. Something heavily flavored enough to mostly cover up the acrid unpleasant green wood taste from the stem on the cob or coating in the bowl so I don't spend the first 3 to 5 smokes out of the pipe going, "Yuck!"

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm also in the "smoke what you like" camp, though I will say that Carter Hall burns quick, cool, and leaves a particularly thick and neutral tasting cake so I think it makes a great blend for breaking in new pipes or de-ghosting an estate pipe.

For green tasting cobs or any pipe that has an unpleasant tasting coating in the bowl I like using strongly flavored but not overly wet aromatics like Cult Blood Red Moon to break them in. Something heavily flavored enough to mostly cover up the acrid unpleasant green wood taste from the stem on the cob or coating in the bowl so I don't spend the first 3 to 5 smokes out of the pipe going, "Yuck!"
Well, you could hire a chap or chapette who's down on his luck to break them in for you....

I'm reminded of the "pipe smoking machine" once used to break in Dr. Grabow pipes with Edgeworth. (Please see linked article below.) One might suggest using a similar burley blend -- something easy to keep lit and unlikely to ghost. I am partial to Mac Baren's HH Burley Flake or one of C&D's burleys that doesn't have perique or latakia in it. (C&D's perique can ghost a pipe a bit with stinky cheese odor.)

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123