Tobacco for Breaking in a New Pipe- Suggestions!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With the exception of a couple of the responses, all of your input was right in line with my thinking after watching a couple of YouTube vids. I appreciate the input!
You're pipe will break in just fine with whatever you choose to smoke in it. Youtube videos will tell you that you have to do this or that but there are no rules for smoking a pipe and the experience is subjective to the individual. Enjoy the experience and don't overthink it.?

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I tend to try to separate pipes into VA or Latakia smokers. That said, anything but a Lakeland will likely not leave a sturdy ghost.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I think, way back when, the whole "breaking in" process was meant to build an even cake layer, something which was once considered to be paramount to proper smoking. Also why burleys were recommended as they tend to build more cake.

These days, most of us avoid all but the thinnest layer of cake, and the whole "breaking in" process is pretty meaningless. Cobs need to get "burned out" a bit, but briars are just fine out of the gate.

Just smoke whatever you want to smoke.

Aug 1, 2012
I'm another one for "smoke what you like" to break in a pipe.

I do often use Carter Hall to break mine in but some pipes will tell you what tobacco they want. I have an artisan pipe that from the beginning only smokes well with lat blends while its twin only smokes well with va blends. No idea why.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
I tend to try to separate pipes into VA or Latakia smokers. That said, anything but a Lakeland will likely not leave a sturdy ghost.
I had read from all of you that both Latakia and Lakeland are infamous for ghosting. I had not read/ heard that about the VA though. Just straight Va or?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
I think, way back when, the whole "breaking in" process was meant to build an even cake layer, something which was once considered to be paramount to proper smoking. Also why burleys were recommended as they tend to build more cake.

These days, most of us avoid all but the thinnest layer of cake, and the whole "breaking in" process is pretty meaningless. Cobs need to get "burned out" a bit, but briars are just fine out of the gate.

Just smoke whatever you want to smoke.
Well like everything else I guess, time has a way of changing outlooks, approaches, and tobaccos! ? So as many above said, I will relax and just smoke whatever to break in a new pipe- except for those absolute “ will ghost” Tobaccos. Those will find a pipe of permanence for themselves.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Medieval Scottish highland tobacco cultivated between the years 550 and 575 and locked in an airtight time capsule buried hundreds of yards underground in a remote waterlogged bog is ideal. You will have to make the journey yourself, though, and outmaneuver the throngs of other pipe smokers who are in search of this elusive product. It will be expensive, exhausting, and you may wind up with a variety of infections, parasites, battle wounds etc. when all is said and done. I would meticulously read the fine print of your life insurance policy before embarking on such a mission, and refrain from blabbing about it on social media as much as possible.

Or, something mellow from Mac Baren, whatever. ?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I like to use a fairly neutral blend that I am quite familiar with. Usually that means Lane RR, Sutliff Virginia Slices, or PS Natural Dutch Cavendish.

Reactions: UncleRasta
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
You guys make this too complicated…lol! The men I saw growing up smoked PA. If you’d ask them it would be PA. I’m sure their pipes came from what the closest drug store were lured into carrying.

Reactions: Hovannes

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The old saw about breaking in a pipe had less to do with the tobacco and more about how to smoke it. It was simply for the first 6 or so bowls, you'd fill it half way and smoke to the bottom. Then 3/4 full, then fully loaded. Not many folks today say that method is superior to just smoking the damn thing.

Reactions: hilbertastronaut

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
This smoke what you want narrative is like a first solo flight without getting relieved of your shirt tail, or earning a commission in the Army without handing a dollar to the first soldier who salutes you. Or giving your canoe a name.

Ignoring tradition is a poverty which denies your participation in a common History.

Yeah such things may be regarded as silly and needless, but maybe a little more silliness is what is needed.
It doesn't take much to amuse me. LOL!

My go to cake builder tobacco used to be Prince Albert (1/4, 1/2, 2/3rds full) after an initial thin schmear of honey inside the bowl. These days I've found PS 41 Cube cut is easier to find

JohnnyBeach

Lurker
May 21, 2024
This smoke what you want narrative is like a first solo flight without getting relieved of your shirt tail, or earning a commission in the Army without handing a dollar to the first soldier who salutes you. Or giving your canoe a name.

Ignoring tradition is a poverty which denies your participation in a common History.

Yeah such things may be regarded as silly and needless, but maybe a little more silliness is what is needed.
It doesn't take much to amuse me. LOL!

My go to cake builder tobacco used to be Prince Albert (1/4, 1/2, 2/3rds full) after an initial thin schmear of honey inside the bowl. These days I've found PS 41 Cube cut is easier to find
I have tried the honey smear and found that not only did it not encourage building a carbon layer, it gave me a tongue burn that continues several days, now. I am pretty sure I am not doing the honey trick again any time soon.