PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whvaughn

Lurker
Sep 21, 2011
Great post, thanks! Being an ex-cigarette smoker and long time swedish snus and dry snuff user, I tend to prefer high nicotene content in my pipe tobacco (I regularly smoke GH's Dark Unscented Flake out of my McAuthor (sp?) MM (perfect size for the long GH dark flake). Most would recommend against smokig that amout of Dark Flake, but I find it a wonderful experience. Of course, I've never bee particularly nicotene sensitive and have enjoyed tobacco in practically all forms for many years/decades now (though I currently limit my tobacco to pipe smoking and occassional nasal snuff- perhaps snus when I'm visiting family in Sweden).
I have recently discovered Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd and am quite happy with it. I absolutely love Va's; however, they are typically lackig (to my taste, that is) in terms of nicotene content (a great example of the inverse relationship between nicotene and sugars). While I enjoy many Va's for their taste profile, I often feel they just miss the mark with vitamin N. Hal O' the Wynd is a notable exception- I really enjoy this blend and feel that it has sufficient vitamin N for my taste. Samuel Gawith's FVF was my "go to" Va for some time; however, it is nearly impossible to find these days (for me at least- I do most of my tobacco shopping online and visit various B&M's while traveling for business).
So, if you are one who likes a lovely Va with the typical Va sugar profile but also want/need a healthy dose of Vitamin N Hal O' the Wynd may be just what you're looking for. I'm definetly looking forward to trying Jack Knife Plug and am open to any other suggestions. Thanks for the great post!

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Thanks very much for this thread Kevin. You have answered several of my newbie questions. I'm another ex cig smoker who needs the vitamin N component. But wouldn't you know it? I have a taste preference for Va/Lat. blends.
Your post gives me a better idea of which of my tobacconists house blends to try next.
Tins? Well, SG's St. James Flake is on the list for the perique. I will have to give the Jackknife Plug a chance, if I can find it here. I think I will try mixing a bit of Brown Rope #4 into some of my favourite low nic. blends.
You've given me ideas, thanks

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
Thanks for the thumbnail sketch of the hobby I have so long enjoyed. I'll copy it and e-mail to myself for future reference.

pjm03fatboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2011
Very interesting Kevin, I would like a few more blends if anyone knows, (sweeter low nicotine tobaccos) thanks :)

Reactions: newportpipe

tre123

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks for the post, being new to this I enjoy learning all I can about it. Very informative, as always. Maybe I will soon find out exactly what type I'm smoking now

davidg

Lurker
May 27, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for the article. I'm a novice at pipe smoking and look forward to learning. This kind of material is a big plus. I have a question in a similar vein.

In many tobacco reviews pipers refer to individual tobaccos and their flavors, ex. latlakia, Virginia, barley, oriental, etc. How is it that one recognizes a tobacco flavor or taste, unless they've tasted such beforehand, in isolation from other tobaccos? If I were eating a mouthful of rice and corn together I'd not know which was which unless I'd tasted both beforehand separately. I'm experimenting with non-aromatics and frankly, while I enjoy the smells, feel of the pipe, tobacco burning, etc. I have no idea what it is I'm tasting. Any assitance and help with this is appreciated. Thank you.

David

Aug 14, 2012
Thanks, this is an enormously informative post. Why is Cavendish so named? Is there a connection with Lord Cavendish?

briarbrother

Lurker
Dec 13, 2011
I would also like to know what are some great High Sugar/Low Nicotine blends??? Is Mc Clelland's Christmas cheer a High or Nicotine blend? (It is a pure Virginia blend..?) I'm not too fond of high Nicotine blends..I usually stay away from Burley blends ;)

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
Here's another good blog on the subject.
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/12/19/running-from-the-nicotine-monster.html
I like the part about using chocolate as a remedy for tobacco head. A reason to eat chocolate AND smoke a pipe? And dark chocolate might work better? I think I can force myself.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Great information. Thanks Kevin and for the informative link bluesmoke. I didn't have this information when I got hit hard by Haddo's Delight a few months ago but accidentally discovered that drinking sweet iced tea made it ease off quite a bit. Maybe the sugar and caffeine were the ingredients that helped? Eating something (anything) has also seemed to help in a few other milder experiences of nicotine overload. I will remember the chocolate thing though for the next time. Sounds like a much better plan!

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Hey all, love visiting this post, been trying to use Kevin's origional post, I have been able to choose wisely when picking tobacco. Just wondering about Carter Hall though, because it has a smooth and sweetish taste then I would take it that its a Virginian blend tobacco. It says nothing on the 14oz container about the blend so I guess I will go search the Internet.

kennethdevine

Lurker
Nov 12, 2014
Mostly tobacco is used in cigar.So,smoking causes a lot of problem like mental disorder, cancer etc. Tobacco is not good for health. Various counsellor are available which give correct information about your addiction.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Kennethdevine - we choose to smoke and know the risks... Why come preaching to a forum of pipe smokers ... Seriously are you for real

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.