PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
So I promised myself I would not Purchase anymore tobacco as I have A butt load, more than I can consume in my forseeable life. Smoking Pipes sends me an alert Rattrey's Old Gowrie is available..... 5 tins on the way.☹️😍🤨🥰😮🤣😆
Yeah I'm a sickO
Well, I am afraid of contracting this disorder as well! I did the same thing with Bourbon a couple of years ago, and my wife finally put her foot down when I had spent about $1k in a 6 week period (which she rarely does!). She said I was not allowed to buy more bourbon until I drank what I had... there was A LOT of drinking for the next couple of months! Plus a trip to my brother-in-law's cabin in Zion for a bourbon tasting weekend. (See photo attached, and yeah, I was trying cigars at that point too).

But this brings about an interesting question for me... as a newbie, I have no idea what I like yet. I don't want to buy something only to find that I don't like it and will never use (ehem, smoke) it again. I would like to buy enough that I can try several bowls to see if I like it (at least that is what I have read I should do... not try one bowl and make a decision), then order more if I do. So, here is my newbie question of the day (or least of this quarter hour) ... what is typically a good amount of tobacco to buy and try? My first batch of tobacco I bought was about 3 ounces and cost me a whopping $24. Another shop near me (with a limited selection of 3 or 4 types at any given time, it's a cigar shop that happens to have a little pipe tobacco) has a 3-ounce minimum, although they will let you mix and match. I really have no idea how much quantity to buy on a trial run.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210924_173918.jpg
    20210924_173918.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 27

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Well, I am afraid of contracting this disorder as well! I did the same thing with Bourbon a couple of years ago, and my wife finally put her foot down when I had spent about $1k in a 6 week period (which she rarely does!). She said I was not allowed to buy more bourbon until I drank what I had... there was A LOT of drinking for the next couple of months! Plus a trip to my brother-in-law's cabin in Zion for a bourbon tasting weekend. (See photo attached, and yeah, I was trying cigars at that point too).

But this brings about an interesting question for me... as a newbie, I have no idea what I like yet. I don't want to buy something only to find that I don't like it and will never use (ehem, smoke) it again. I would like to buy enough that I can try several bowls to see if I like it (at least that is what I have read I should do... not try one bowl and make a decision), then order more if I do. So, here is my newbie question of the day (or least of this quarter hour) ... what is typically a good amount of tobacco to buy and try? My first batch of tobacco I bought was about 3 ounces and cost me a whopping $24. Another shop near me (with a limited selection of 3 or 4 types at any given time, it's a cigar shop that happens to have a little pipe tobacco) has a 3-ounce minimum, although they will let you mix and match. I really have no idea how much quantity to buy on a trial run.

I find generally an Oz or so is good enough to ascertain a blend for me. Gives approx 8 to 10 bowls

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado

Well one tin at a time, or the minimum OZ. Of bulk. Also you could reach out to the forum and buy samples of what might interest you. What are you interested in?

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well one tin at a time, or the minimum OZ. Of bulk. Also you could reach out to the forum and buy samples of what might interest you. What are you interested in?
ROFLOL... I am so new, I don't know the answer to that question! I just smoked my first two bowls yesterday, and shooting for my 3rd or 4th tonight! I don't even know the right questions to ask yet.

But I like your idea of reaching out to the forum and maybe some folks will share smaller amounts for a nominal fee! Thanks for the idea!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a moderate smoker, about four bowls a week, though it is variable, sometimes three bowls a day, sometimes none for a day or a few. And my tobacco orders are modest -- two or three tins or baggies every few months, and still, I order much more tobacco than I smoke, so it accumulates.

I do have some tubs and some large tins of 7 or 8 ounces, and I've bought the occasional 16 oz. bag. So even with moderate smoking and small orders, the leaf still accumulates. I'm glad I'm not storing hundreds of pounds, anyway. Blends are beguiling. I tell myself a tin of anything is plenty, and two tins is my limit. Usually. Five tins--you went overboard there.

Reactions: B.Fee

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
I
ROFLOL... I am so new, I don't know the answer to that question! I just smoked my first two bowls yesterday, and shooting for my 3rd or 4th tonight! I don't even know the right questions to ask yet.

But I like your idea of reaching out to the forum and maybe some folks will share smaller amounts for a nominal fee! Thanks for the

Just getting online to buy more.... and thinking of excuses for the wife.
I have found that 50% of my purchase gifted to something romantic to my wife turns a blind eye. 😘

Reactions: Cyxelsid

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
So I promised myself I would not Purchase anymore tobacco as I have A butt load, more than I can consume in my forseeable life. Smoking Pipes sends me an alert Rattrey's Old Gowrie is available..... 5 tins on the way.☹️😍🤨🥰😮🤣😆
Yeah I'm a sickO
Yeah, and after reading your post, I went online and ordered some too...Go figure!!?? rotf

I think it's contagious ! cray (I didn't get Gowerie...they were out) now I'm gonna go and look around...

Last edited:

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Perhaps try a sample of each of the main types of blends (I know I know the list is long so I'll try stick to some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head ) but try a straight Virginia (careful not to smoke it hot or it will bite ) a Virginia perique (vaper ) a Virginia burley (vaber ) ,a English blend , a Cavendish blend , and perhaps aromatics if that takes your fancy (remember they seldomly taste like what they smell like in the tin ) a balkan and perhaps a Lakeland blend (careful with these as some ghost pipes badly so use a cob ) and see which ones you prefer and try some different ones in those categories. Your tastes WILL change over time so if you don't like a blend, don't toss it. Jar it up and keep it for a while and come back to it and see how you like it in 6 months etc. I have Intentionally not listed any specific tobaccos as taste is subjective. But if you do a search on here or tobaccoreviews.com or most online tobacconists they will have categories (usually)

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Perhaps try a sample of each of the main types of blends (I know I know the list is long so I'll try stick to some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head ) but try a straight Virginia (careful not to smoke it hot or it will bite ) a Virginia perique (vaper ) a Virginia burley (vaber ) ,a English blend , a Cavendish blend , and perhaps aromatics if that takes your fancy (remember they seldomly taste like what they smell like in the tin ) a balkan and perhaps a Lakeland blend (careful with these as some ghost pipes badly so use a cob ) and see which ones you prefer and try some different ones in those categories. Your tastes WILL change over time so if you don't like a blend, don't toss it. Jar it up and keep it for a while and come back to it and see how you like it in 6 months etc. I have Intentionally not listed any specific tobaccos as taste is subjective. But if you do a search on here or tobaccoreviews.com or most online tobacconists they will have categories (usually)
I basically asked that same question in the forums and got some very good responses.