PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Is there a thread on this already? I sometimes like to mix blends, others have suggested the Parfait packing, wondering what is a great combo with Balkan Supreme?

For example, I have found Bold Kentucky with Molto Dulce pretty good. I like to mix some extremes. Or, mixes of totally different types and see what works.

Reactions: rushx9

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I'm not much of a friend of both, Grousemoor and Black XX. Though I find a 50/50 mix of those two blends is quite enjoyable.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Balkan Supreme and Firedance flake is the finest crossover never made, imho. Supreme is also a nice foundation to add some red Va and stoved black VA for a nod towards the frogs. I have a recipe I call Barbarossa's Balkan Black that uses these ingredients along with a pinch of McClelland's Oriental Cavendish.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Barbarossa's Balkan Black:
60%Balkan Supreme
10% Sutliff 515-rc1
10%McClelland Stoved Black Lemon VA
10% McClelland Oriental Cavendish
10%Stokkebye Blending Latakia
This is kind of a simplified version. I've tweaked it with extra small pinches of the components till I felt it was just right for me. I would have used McC 5100 if I had any, and obviously the other McCs would need to be subbed if you dont already have them. The most difficult thing to find a good substitute for would be the Oriental Cavendish.

Reactions: cossackjack

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Way into left field here, not what you are asking, but...
I smoke whole leaf, almost 100% a burley smoker. I often get other tobacco varieties, and I sometimes don't enjoy them greatly. We're talking Hungarian, Black Mammoth... tobacco varieties.

I've found that the addition of a small amount of Perique can often make such a tobacco quite palatable.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Yep, I love tinkering. So far I have two Va/Bur/Per creations I think are worth sharing, as follows:

4 Parts Luxury Bullseye Flake to 1 Part MacBaren Old Dark Fired and

6 Parts Rimboche AP
3 Parts Stokkebye Turkish Export
1 Parts MacBaren Old Dark Fired

I suppose you could substitute any VaPer you prefer here as the main component, I don't see why it wouldn't work with something like Escudo or Elizabethan Mixture. If anyone gives this a try I'd love to know what you think.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the original post is two questions in one: A request for recipes for mixing tobaccos, and another for parfait combinations where the blends (or single leaf) are put in two or three layers. I've never gotten the layers to work so each blend arrived as a distinct taste. They seem to mix and meld anyway to some degree. For mixing, the basic beginners mix might be Virginia and burley in varied proportions so you can see what a difference proportions make. Then experiment with one condiment in various proportions, and don't just use Latakia then Perique. Also try unflavored black Cavendish, dark-fired, cigar leaf, Turkish, those sorts of things. I'd keep it to three tobaccos experimenting with various proportions, to get the hang of it. You'll find yourself "correcting" various blends that are too bland or a little harsh. Keep a record so you can reproduce your successes and avoid your failures. I've had some top notch smokes with home mixes, and not that many bad experiences.

Reactions: jttnk

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I'm going to start blending my own latakia mixtures since I'm struggling to find more that I like. For my first one, I'm going to start with a simple latakia, smyrna, Virginia. Does anybody have some suggestions on ratios? I would like it to be cool but sweet. I'm thinking something like 1 part latakia, 2 parts Virginia, and 5 parts smyrna.

Status
Not open for further replies.