PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Snorker ... It is part of the breath technique where one just breathes through the nose.
http://www.glpease.com/Articles/BreathSmoking.html

Jan 8, 2013
Snorker ... It is part of the breath technique where one just breathes through the nose.
http://www.glpease.com/Articles/BreathSmoking.html
The article doesn't mention retrohaling, Thomas. But I can certainly see how it can be added to someone's variation of the technique. I breath smoke, but in my variation I don't simply blow my smoke back into the bowl. Some I blow back through the bowl and some out the corner of my mouth, and I tend to take slow longer draws on the pipe rather than tiny sips, but will draw smaller sips if the bowl gets hot. And I don't retrohale. We may need another thread just on breath smoking as I'm sure there are quite a few different techniques between our members. I think Duane (chasingembers) has a great video on how most apply the technique.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I really hate that word. So I'll try not to use it. But I indulge in it approximately 12.666% of the time.
Snorking sounds like some type of wanking. YMMV.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Snorking sounds like some type of wanking.
Look up pipe smoking bear, John. Snorking will not even register anymore, but remember, some things cannot he unseen. 8O

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I do it all the time without really thinking about it. That's how I smoked cigarettes too, so it was just sort of natural for me.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Ah you constant snorkers think you are so special. You’re just like the star bellied sneetches. I personally think us occasional snorkers are the best because we are obviously unique!

Hehe! You all are a special bunch!

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
A few times a bowl for me but a lot more when getting to know a new blend. Frankly, I believe that if you don't you miss a lot of the flavour.
Put me down as someone who dislikes the work "snorking" too. Even typing that sent a shiver down my body.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm a 1/4 snorker, by our definition.
Having a life of annual respiratory infections that ceased when I quit cigarettes, snorking puts undue stress on my sinuses.
After the coal has settled into a nice smoke, I send "microsnorks" through occasionally.
Here's the top urban dictionary definition:
snork, verb: to drink something and have it come out your nose because you're laughing so hard.
Further down the UD list is our definition:
the process of removing recreational pipe or cigar smoke from the mouth through the sinuses and out the nostrils, bypassing the lungs, thereby saturating smell receptors and maximizing taste value while preserving total lung capacity (TLC).
jay-roger.jpg

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
A regular retrohaler here too. I probably do it 50% of the time, both cigars and pipes. By now I do it without thinking about it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay-
Don't have a better word at this time, though retrohaling is fine. Be nice for a shorter word that wasn't so gross.
Contest?

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
snorking puts undue stress on my sinuses.

I am in that boat or (pirate ship as it were) also Jay, I have to be careful, because I am prone to sinus problems.

That being said, I will still snork quite a few times while smoking, for me it's the only real way to get all the flavor out of a blend.

It has been since the mid 80's or so since I thought about the snorks cartoon, this whole thread is hilarious.. :rofl:

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Took my pipe and some English with me on a 2-1/2 hour drive today to an out of town office. Didn't get to smoke the pipe at work but on the return journey I stopped an hour from home and loaded up a bowl. So began the first pipe 'n' drive experience. Sun had just dropped over the mountain range, window was cracked. Everything was awesome.
So it's all going well, just had to pull over for one re-light halfway down the bowl. So while I'm sipping away as a newbie, I'm thinking this has been the best bowl yet. Anyway the English blend was Ashton Consumate Gentleman and I was finding that I wasn't getting much taste but getting plenty on the retrohale (which is what a few reviewers of this blend have said). Anyway that got me thinking about how much retrohaling is too much of a good thing?
Anyway that led me to this post. Thanks forum and all the Snorkers out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.