Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Somebody brought up this subject in another thread and it sparked my interest.
As a pipe smoker I am almost constantly retrohaling, and I couldn't imagine smoking a pipe without doing that as that is where the flavor is at. The majority of our taste comes from our olfactory system (sense of smell). I don't inhale the smoke into my lungs but when sipping the pipe, instead of blowing the smoke back through my mouth, I breathe the smoke out through my nose (retrohale/snorking).
How many people here retrohale almost always?
How many retrohale from time to time?
How many of you never retrohale? For those of you that don't is it because of health concerns?
I wouldn't imagine that retrohaling would be any more dangerous than simply puffing unless you suffer from sinusitis or other sinus problems.
Anyway, this subject interests me so I thought I would see if we could get a consensus on the subject.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=2266&bih=1200&ei=Y0H-Wa7LGqjQjwTX5oewCg&q=snork&oq=snork&gs_l=img.3..0l10.2013.3884.0.4388.7.7.0.0.0.0.63.254.5.5.0....0...1.1.64.img..2.5.253.0...0.8mVJULtC5AA

Jan 8, 2013
I don't retrohale. I never could quite get get it down and it takes me a dozen tries before I can actually do it. I will however waft some of the smoke from the bowl of my pipe toward my nose and gently breathe it in. It seems to serve the same purpose.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I will do the deed a few times on every bowl. I find it enjoyable. It is amazing what different 'tastes' can be had.
To quote George...
71ug7IiC1sL._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

Dec 28, 2015
Yes when it strikes my fancy. And then I wonder why I don’t always do it because as you said you get so much more of the flavor.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I snork constantly. When I was switching from cigs to pipe, I quickly found snorking assisted in nicotine delivery as well as flavor enhancement. I also found Latakia blends helped clear my nasal passages, a constant problem for me. Snorking is now about 90% of my smoking experience. Snork is a great word and I am giddy with delight that it is something I can say I do daily. I am a snorker. :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I don't find myself doing it naturally, and I get good flavor not doing it, and my senses of flavor and smell are good (by my reckoning), and I thoroughly enjoy the flavors as they are without retro-haling, I don't. I agree with warren on this, keep it simple.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I always snork when I smoke my pipes, but never when I smoke cigars. While I love cigars, I find the smoke to be too heavy and peppery to snork.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Almost always. I get little to no flavor otherwise.
As a kid, I would see my grandfather exhale his menthol cigarettes through his nose almost exclusively. When I was old enough to emulate him, I did so as well, and realized why he was doing it: Flavor.
Kinda makes me miss those Salem’s.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I quickly found snorking assisted in nicotine delivery as well as flavor enhancement

Another great point that I didn't even think about. You're right, with all the tiny capillaries in the sinus passage ways you have much more surface area for the nicotine to get absorbed.
Snork is a great word and I am giddy with delight that it is something I can say I do daily. I am a snorker. :rofl:

Haha... me too! I'm a devout snorker!
Since I don't find myself doing it naturally, and I get good flavor not doing it, and my senses of flavor and smell are good (by my reckoning), and I thoroughly enjoy the flavors as they are without retro-haling, I don't. I agree with warren on this, keep it simple.

Whatever works, right? I was just taken aback by your comment in the other thread cause I just assumed all of us were hardcore snorkers. I guess I came by it naturally when I smoked cigarettes I don't know but I really did think it was just a natural part of smoking a pipe. In fact, the only time I don't snork is during the initial charring light, after that it's snorkville, baby! It's not even really a conscience decision.
Nothing not simple about a retrohale. Exhale, and let the smoke follow your outward breath.

Exactly!
I snork therefore I am...a snorker... :puffy:

Haha! Rock on! or should I say, snork on?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
From my limited beginners palate I get a flavour from just holding it in my mouth. Although I have been wrong on occasion

Have you tried it? If you're happy with the flavors you're getting now, by all means keep it up but I would most definitely recommend trying it not just once but several times to see how you like it. It might tingle a little at first but you'll quickly acclimate to it and I don't think it poses any more health risks than smoking strictly from your mouth but what do I know. I even find that, like Mayfair the smoke opens up my sinuses.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
I am a constant snorker. And I posit that those who don't snork actually do snork and don't realize they are doing it. This is a presumptuous and potentially annoying theory but I stand by it. :nana:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I am a constant snorker. And I posit that those who don't snork actually do snork and don't realize they are doing it. This is a presumptuous and potentially annoying theory but I stand by it. :nana:

That was my original assumption, which is why I was so surprised to hear that some people don't do it.

Dec 28, 2015
Ah you constant snorkers think you are so special. You’re just like the star bellied sneetches. I personally think us occasional snorkers are the best because we are obviously unique!

Status
Not open for further replies.