PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Eric,
I can only say what worked for me. I used to keep a minimum of char in a pipe while all the older smokers said I'd be happier with the cake. One day, I took a Peterson Rosslare and decided to just let it go.
I found the pipe with a thick cake needed a lot less rest and could be smoked back to back to back with just internal cleaning. I liked it, so now I do it with all of my pipes.
So the benefits for me are a sweeter smoke and less maintenance. But the cake can and will sour--when it doesn't taste good, I now know to just ream it for instant results.
Paolo

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Cake free here. One burn out in 30 years of pipe smoking.
I am pretty sure it was because the pipe was a cheap ass basket pipe.
I will say that I really did burn the shit out of that pipe though.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I run a bristly pipe cleaner or a regular pipe cleaner after smoking, so I am forming a cake, but very slowly ...

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I do the corkscrew paper towel in the bowl method/thingy.....Very scientific. Not always after every smoke but at least every 2-3 bowls. I find that it still allows some cake to build but in a very thin yet hard layer. Admittedly I've never just let one go to find out if I liked it or not.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Mmm cake, tasty tasty cake.

Most of my briar pipes have cake except one which seems to keep that smokey ashtray taste if there's cake in it. So it's really up to you whether or not you prefer cake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You need a carbon layer, but a no-cake thin layer will do. When you don't have to ream, the bowl doesn't take that damage, peeling off a little briar with the cooked on ash, and also the stress of reaming on the bowl. Also, this maintains the full capacity of the bowl, which is useful with any blend, to give it full room to unfold. I'm making my case for the way I do it, and if I liked a good thick layer of cake, I'd argue for that. Do what pleases, first. This is what pleases me.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I believe I have a good answer here... -sorry I haven't read all replies, but the general consensus is no cake and I agree! I clean my bowls with paper towel, and stems with pipe cleaners, and old antique purchases with the same but add rubbing alcohol.
Even if you clean regularly you're still building a cake, but only with the strongest resin that remains, not loose bad tasting stuff. This really tough small carbon layer will protect your pipe and builds up tough over the years! It's thin, but will enhance the taste and longevity of your pipe... Technically it's a cake, but a very thin one.

Status
Not open for further replies.