PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I just generally fold a pipe cleaner in half after a smoke and wipe the bowl down. Keep the cake to a minimum.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
So there is no critical point of over-caking. I mean, they tell you to keep it down to a dime thickness but I don't see any evidence that it might stress a briar pipe to break until the cake has grown massive!

I've never really even heard of the briar breaking because of cake, till I heard you say something about it a few weeks ago. I connected the dots and thought of the pipes at the antique store, but really me not liking cake has nothing to do with the pipe breaking.

But, if you like cake, then... enjoy. Lots of guys like their cake.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I saw some cake in didi's pipe that I thought I could break off a chunk, roll into a ball, put back into the pipe and smoke itself! It looked like it had little bits of leaf all through it!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah apparently the amount of cake I have in my pipes AFTER I ream them, is the amount people have when they START to ream them. Mmmm cake....

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Let the peasants eat cake. Or a shoe. Take this hammer and beat the shoe!
Nehy, I have not the heart to beat an innocent shoe!
Thou art the Dumb-Cluck!
I do not lie.
And neither does the cake.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I'm one of those who keeps a thin layer of cake in the bowl; never more than the thickness of a dime, if the cake starts to build up--a rare occurrence--I take a reamer to it and trim it back to my desired thickness. I've been smoking for 58 years, and I've got some pipes that have been with me for over half a century. Never a problem with excess cake, as I clean the bowl with a folded up pipe cleaner after every smoke. If I perceive that more is needed, I do what Anthony does: corkscrew a paper towel in the bowl. All my pipes smoke sweet and clean.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
After each smoke, when I clean my bowl. I take a paper towel, wad it up, stuff it in the bowl and swab it out. Yes, it still builds a cake but a firmer one in my opinion. Do this on Briars and cobs. On merschaums and clays,try to keep them at none. My method, others know better, it works for me and no teeming ! Hurrah

eaglebleyes

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2017
Mars
Agreed with Jabo.I have been doing the exact same process with the paper towel for years and it does seem to build a harder cake but it takes a while.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
If you dampen the paper towel with a little water, I've found it provides most of the benefits of washing it out with running water and removes all the dirt that might have gone to form cake build-up; what it leaves behind is, like you say, good, firm hard cake that remains thin.

dragospiper

Lurker
Apr 27, 2017
Wow, as a beginner I have found so much great information on this forum! I just wanted to thank everyone!

Apr 12, 2017
Alabama
I tend to allow build-up of cake. I don't really have an explanation why except it gives off a certain flavor I enjoy. I dont enjoy breaking in a new pipe. It just doesnt taste right to me.To each his own though.

Jun 27, 2016
I starting to go with the aldecaker/MSO489 method on a new briar, and I cut back to a nearly non-existent cake layer on two others to begin treating them the same way. Except that I am using a dry pipe cleaner to brush off ash and remove any tobacco pieces, and then while the bowl is still warm, my finger to move the oils around instead of a paper towel. The towel would drag and lint was getting worked into the oils. With my finger the oils will roll up and fall away, and are also starting to build up a slick on the briar. So far it seems to be working pretty well. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.