Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I recently acquired this very small meerschaum cutty, the pipe if it can even be called that is fairly unremarkable. I suspect it's actually a cigarette holder or small cheroot holder. It's what's stamped on the case that makes it remarkable. Now I know that @condorlover1 and @sablebrush52 both have some very cool pipes, even cutty's with famous provenance but this one actually has it stamped right on the case. The case reads as follows:

W.E.H.S.
CLONSILLA HOUSE.
IRELAND

With my own research and a lot of help from @jguss I was able to put together a short profile of this W.E.H.S. fellow. His name is Captain William Edward Hollwey (Holloway) Steeds (1849-1913) born to Stephen Steeds Esq. (1818-1889) & Ann Marie Hollwey (1824-1880) of Norton Down House, Somerset England. He served first as lieutenant being promoted to the rank of Captain on July 8, 1871 in the 22nd Somersetshire Volunteer Rifles. On June 6, 1872 in Werneth, Cheshire he married Agnes Andrews Steeds (1850-1925) third daughter of George Andrew Esq.of Ernecroft Hall, Compstall. His occupation at the time of the census was "Gentlemen".

Sometime between 1870-1880 he moved to Clonsilla Ireland near Dublin, taking up residence in Clonsilla House where he employed 12 servants. Captain Steeds was avid hunter and horse rider, he provided several horses for a coach route and local hunts as well as hosting many hunts himself on the grounds of Clonsilla House. In 1887 36 of his horses were poisoned with lead acetate laced feed, several died. This was attributed the ongoing "land war" in Ireland at the time. Captain Steeds succumbed to injuries sustained from being thrown from his horse during a hunt in 1913.

I think the pipe was likely one of many that were made to be given to guests at Clonsilla House or given away at hunts. It has had a shank repair at some point in its life done with silver but is in otherwise pretty good shape. The amber bit is nearly flawless.

The pipe.pipe.jpgcase.jpgstamp.jpg

Captain Steeds.

steeds1.png

The Captains place of birth, Norton Down House.
Norton Down House.PNG

Clonsilla House
Clonsilla House.jpg

The Palm Room at Clonsilla House.
Clonsilla Lodge Palm Room 2.PNGClonsilla Lodge Palm room.PNG

Clonsilla Lodge at Clonsilla House.

CLonsilla Lodge before demo.PNG

Map showing the estate of Captain Steeds at Clonsilla.
Clonsilla House Snip.PNG

The announcement of the death of Captain Steeds.
Steeds killed.png

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Can't you just imagine, retiring to the palm room for cigars/pipes and brandy. 🧐
Or just reading the Sunday morning papers, along with tea & buttered crumpets!👍
Rubber plants etc were very fashionable in Victorian times. I remember hearing they were quite unhealthy though, starving the rooms of oxygen & playing havoc with people’s chests.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 3.46.39 PM.jpg

Exactly what happened to Christopher Reeve.

Riding horses is like driving cars that process information and feel emotion in addition to providing movement. And the things which affect those thought processes we think we know, but can actually only guess at.

(That the guy's name is "Steeds" is almost too much. Lottery odds stuff.)

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
View attachment 278195

Exactly what happened to Christopher Reeve.

Riding horses is like driving cars that process information and feel emotion in addition to providing movement. And the things which affect those thought processes we think we know, but can actually only guess at.

(That the guy's name is "Steeds" is almost too much. Lottery odds stuff.)

Seems the guy spent an inordinate amount of time on horseback, it was probably an inevitability that he would meet his end that way.

I don’t know much about horses, but I know enough not to fool with em. Then again, I generally feel that way about all 1/2 ton plus animals.