PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Which is why Greg says jar it when you first buy it.
That fits if you somehow get a tin that was just tinned. I guess. But what if the tin is 6 months old? Or 1 year old? Or 2 year old? What about the theory that tobacco turns to shit dust shortly after it is opened? What is the cut off age for "to shitdust, or not to shitdust". Seems to be to make more sense to either trust the tin or seal the tin with another medium.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That fits if you somehow get a tin that was just tinned. I guess. But what if the tin is 6 months old? Or 1 year old? Or 2 year old? What about the theory that tobacco turns to shit dust shortly after it is opened? What is the cut off age for "to shitdust, or not to shitdust". Seems to be to make more sense to either trust the tin or seal the tin with another medium.
Well, my guess is that Greg's referring to freshly minted tins so you'll just have to make up your own mind on older stuff. BTW, the "shitdust theory" applies only to really old tins - 30 years and older. And the older they are, the faster they turn to crap when exposed to fresh oxygen. So when you open up that 50 year old cutter top be sure that you have some friends around to share it with, or that you're prepared to smoke 30 bowls of it over the next couple of days.
I'm just bagging my tins for now.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have too many jars and way too many tins. Nothing is going to entice me to change. I'll roll the bones.
The only thing getting jarred is bulk, but quite honestly, I'm not buying anymore bulk either.
Starting over is not the same as "retro fitting" though.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
With all the old-timers here, I'm surprised no one seals their tins with automotive bar lead heated with a kerosene blowtorch.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have hundreds of tins still in their original shipping boxes loaded up in my walk in closet. I wrote the dates on the boxes when I got them but the thought of taking them all out and marking every tin is too mind numbing. One day I will make my kids do it when they come over.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Each jar is $5.00-7.50 around here, so, even if it's best to jar them, I can't afford it... Unfortunately.
I store pouch/rope/bulk tobacco in Ziplock plastic containers.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
You guys are great! I'll watch the video tonight, many the thanks, seems like the is not just one right way after reading the replys. thanks for your thoughts. Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jars are the right answer. I guess many stay with the tins after opening if they are going to smoke it up. But jars are best.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Just watched that video that was recommended, kinda extreme, but I'm assuming this was done by one of the members here, maybe??

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We have chaps here who have a similar off beat humor, but if he is a poster here, he's kept mum.
I too have too many tins to contemplate repacking into jar. Bags and bulks, mostly in jars, but some are triple bagged in plastic.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I mylar bag all my tobacco which considering the price we pay in England is worth the peace of mind it gives me.

All the Germains blends now come in plastic pouches (in the UK anyway) as do a number of others I am cellaring and I believe these definitely need jarring or sealing in mylar bags.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.