PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
New member here
When I find tobacco I like, and wish to buy more to cellar, will tin tobacco age better, or differently than the same tobacco done

correctly in a mason jar? It tends to cheaper to buy 8ozs is Escoterica bags to jar, or Gawith and hoggrath blends in bulk.
Thanks

Bob

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I always jar. I just don't trust tins. I've had tins go bad over time and I hate to lose good blends because I was lazy. I am lazy but not with my smokes!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never had issues with round tins but I've had square tins loose their seal.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Depends on how long you intend to cellar it. It we're talking about a few years, tins will generally be just fine. If we're talking about a decade or decades, jar it. Greg Pease used to recommend leaving tobacco in the tin to age. He's changed his mind about this due to losses in his own cellar, and now recommends jarring immediately and letting it age in the jar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Most of my favorite blends came in tins only and I am thankful for that. I have round, rectangle and square and so far not a one has been compromised. Granted the oldest I have opened is only 18 years so I have no experience with decades old tins.
I couldn't be bothered taping or jarring any of my tins. I keep my home at a constant temp and humidity and I think that has more to do with tins failing than anything else.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Not sure if it's the perfect solution, but I was noticing a strong smell of tobacco from the drawers where I keep my tinned tobacco, some of which were square.
Figuring it was worth a shot I very lightly vacuum sealed the tins in food saver bags - roughly four tins to a large bag or two tins in a small bag. Haven't smelled any tobacco since then, and there's still a bit of play in the bags so I know there's some air inside - hopefully enough to allow a similar aging to a sealed tin but should protect the contents if the seals should fail.
Mostly it keeps She Who Must Be Obeyed from becoming irritated with the cellar.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Most of my favorite blends came in tins only and I am thankful for that. I have round, rectangle and square and so far not a one has been compromised. Granted the oldest I have opened is only 18 years so I have no experience with decades old tins.
Sure, Harris, but most of us have more than 5 tins.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I prefer tins for aging purely for convenience of storage. Mason jars are wonderful, but very heavy. Lately I’ve been using Mylar bags as well. They have the advantage of no weight.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I bought 5 gallon mylar bags and have put tins, bags, etc in the 5 gallon bags for stuff I plan to agree for a long period. Those bags won't be touched for ten years or longer. Unless you try to stuff too much in, the 5 gallon bags lay quite flat. You can fit 3 or 4 in a large plastic container. May sound like overkill but one thing you cannot purchase is time.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Every time one of these threads comes up I question everything I am doing and think about jarring all of my sealed tins. I am on the fence about this 24/7. I only have maybe 50 sealed tins so it won't be a massive undertaking, but I am just not sure if I should do it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hell to the no am I going to go through every single tin and jar it up. I agree with Harris in that if you keep your tins in a steady climate year round you’ll be okay. I have taken some precautions on some of my older Gawith tins and put them in Mylar bags but that’s as far as I’m going to take it. I have several of their tins with over 10 years on them and they are holding up just fine. If I lose a tin or two to a seal failing than so be it. I already have at least 300 jars for my bulk blends, I’m not about to buy 600 more jars to put my tinned tobacco in and that’s not even to mention that you are interrupting the aging process when you make the transfer. I think extreme changes in your climate will pop the seals, like for those people who turn the ac off when they go to work in the summer, their house temp gets up into the 90’s then they get home and cool it down to the low 70’s, that extreme change in temperature has got to reek havok on your tins. But then I even get to thinking about my jars, the manufacturer has recently put out new seals that are supposed to last for up to a year and a half, does that mean we should be replacing are jar lids every year and a half? I don’t and I’ve yet to have a tobacco dry out on me. Point is, yes, you want to protect your investment but overthinking it will drive you mad. I did just transfer some Esoterica’s that I’ve kept in their original bags for 2 years into jars after reading a post from Chuck Stanion regarding Esoterica’s Mylar bags. I’m glad I read that post when I did as there were very small pinholes that I could only see when investigating the bags from the inside as I could see the light shining through. Truth is, most of us will either be dead or have to quit smoking pipes due to health issues before our tobacco’s go bad on us. So, smoke what you like today because you just never know if you’ll get the chance tomorrow.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I pour melted wax around the tin lid, wait to dry, wrap in duct tape, then put into mylar bag. And then put in mason jars. And then- tighten mason jar lid to 42 inch pounds with Snap-On inch pound torque wrench. Then mylar bagged again. Say 3 Hail Marys then bury in ground 36" (below freeze level) It's that simple.
JK. For me, everything goes directly into mason jars. You'll lose re-sell value though.

Status
Not open for further replies.