PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I too am a fan of tiki, and I don’t like bringing up unpleasant facts here . But someone above asks: what is tiki? I read the explanations given, click the links, and I see nothing about the tests. This is a little like trying to appreciate 50s sci fi while knowing nothing of the Cold War, or 30s musicals without knowing a depression is going on. Sure, it’s possible to enjoy— but one misses a helluva lot of the point.
The point of tiki is escapism. It is an opportunity to ignore, forget, and separate from all of the “reality” of what is happening in the world. It is the total expression of ignoring PC. Why would anyone who loves tiki want to discuss reality?

Let me be clear. One can not be PC and love Tiki at the same time.
what both these things can't coexist? is escapism that fragile? And I don't know if I really appreciate something one part of that can be looking into things like the context that thing came about in. Warts included or perspectives that shift because we're looking at it from another point in time. I could also argue that many of the bands that are heavily influenced by tiki stuff especially the excotica (which isn't really exclusively tiki but is at least considered part of it these days) are often some of the same bands that do things like discuss reality or at least their take on it. I don't know but to me it doesn't seem like you can't rock out or lounge out because uncomfortable facts aren't being ignored.
Though the greatest irony here which just tickles me cause I love humanity the goofy lot of us, is that complaining about what the original point of Tiki is and what it supposed to be about is fundamentally a cultural appropriation argument (I am a big fan of the past is a foreign country sentiment). Even if it's not one people would think to add to a greatest hits list.
That said the shut up you're harshing my vibe argument totally works for me, the difference being that it's a personal preference not a commandment.
That all said the point I am really trying to make is that anyone who has been on this site for a long enough point, should be old hat at the concept of we all appreciate our things in our own ways.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
You have touched on an old argument among tikiphiles. I definitely fall into the older non PC group. My politics stop at the entrance door and by the time I get to my seat I expect my waitress to excel in the spirit of exotica that brought me into the joint. The modern tiki enthusiasts are there for the party and stiff drinks. The OG are there for that as well but they also appreciate what it is and is not. When Sven Kirsten, the modern Godfather of Tiki, was kicked off the Facebook group Tiki for Everyone, I knew there was a crowd who didn’t get it.

Tiki is a made up culture and a satire of something that never existed. It isn‘t just sexist, boorish, and insulting in so many ways, it is gloriously so. It is a middle finger to everything we hold sacred EXCEPT, itself. And even then it might be casting the middle finger at itself. Anyone who has a piece of Witco furniture in their living room gets that point. Tiki invites, no demands people be critical and harsh in their assessment of tiki because tiki doesn’t give a FU&K. Put simply, tiki has no shame or guilt. That belongs outside the temple.

Reactions: WhiteDevilPress

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You have touched on an old argument among tikiphiles. I definitely fall into the older non PC group. My politics stop at the entrance door and by the time I get to my seat I expect my waitress to excel in the spirit of exotica that brought me into the joint. The modern tiki enthusiasts are there for the party and stiff drinks. The OG are there for that as well but they also appreciate what it is and is not. When Sven Kirsten, the modern Godfather of Tiki, was kicked off the Facebook group Tiki for Everyone, I knew there was a crowd who didn’t get it.

Tiki is a made up culture and a satire of something that never existed. It isn‘t just sexist, boorish, and insulting in so many ways, it is gloriously so. It is a middle finger to everything we hold sacred EXCEPT, itself. And even then it might be casting the middle finger at itself. Anyone who has a piece of Witco furniture in their living room gets that point. Tiki invites, no demands people be critical and harsh in their assessment of tiki because tiki doesn’t give a FU&K. Put simply, tiki has no shame or guilt. That belongs outside the temple.
I think this fits into the nothing stays the same. The funny part is from the start it was people doing something based on their needs while borrowing really vaguely from other people. Like you said it's based on something that existed more in peoples imaginations. The old school version was this fantasy about getting out of modern life and going somewhere more exotic and savage (as in wild and not fettered by civilized concerns) and the modern version is the same thing but the fantasy is cool daddios and hep cats. It also seems like one of those weird things that just appeals or just doesn't and people just like it or don't like Durian fruit. I think though one of the saving graces has always been that it's unabashedly fantasy oriented. Unabashedly so.

• Love
Reactions: telescopes

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
What he said.
I am currently exploring a bottle of Koloa Kaua'i Dark Hawaiian Rum. It a very nice dark sipping rum.

One of my favorite thinks to watch on the computer was Tiki Bar TV until the stopped making them. Tiki Bar TV - https://www.tikibartv.com/
Koloa. That’s some good stuff. Always go to the distillery when in Kauai. Fortunately it’s available in Texas.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Koloa. That’s some good stuff. Always go to the distillery when in Kauai. Fortunately it’s available in Texas.
That's where I bought it. I was born in Port Arthur, graduated HS in Beaumont and my family still lives in the Golden Triangle area.

I make a stop at Spec's everytime I go over there whether I need to or not.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Very Cool rotary phone dialer! I’ve repurposed a few over the year myself. If the orb is solid you could grind it in half to get a better tamp. I have matches from in the collection from our visit years ago.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
There is a place and time to discuss the "sins" of America. Tiki is not and never will be the time and place for that conversation. It is a fantasy place cut out to be especially designed to NOT to have that conversation. Have at it all you want, just not in the temple of the tiki bar. I can't imagine why anyone would want to pollute this sacred space with bullshit. Of course, outside of the bar, it might be important shit to discuss and I am not saying it doesn't have value or isn't important. But I am absolutely emphatic that inside the restaurant, it is nothing but bullshit. Must everything that is enjoyable and fun be wrecked by someone's misplaced guilt and "social" values?