Tien Len, Cribbage and Backgammon...What's Next?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My late wife and her parents often needed a fourth for Bridge, so I sat in and we occasionally won, my wife and I. No one ever played Bridge with less knowledge of the game than I did, and I astounded myself by actually bluffing through games. I thought they might be carrying me, but they were a game-crazy family, so I doubt they were. I think I was a sort of idiot savant at it though I never played again. My family had some word games -- Dictionary and Categories for example, and played some Parchessi, which seemed like a pretty subtle board game at the time.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm casting my vote for Chinese Checkers:

1200-96593149-chinese-checkers-board-game.jpg

It's a lot of fun for people of all ages and skill. I can remember growing up and going to my grandparents house for holidays and playing this (and cribbage). They had a homemade made board with some regular marbles. Later, while I was in college and living in their basement, my grandparents would drink my girlfriend and I under the table while we played this game for hours. (Don't mess with old people who have spent a lifetime drinking.)

After all these years my brother and I wished we new what happened to that homemade board. Either of us would love to have it instead of the store bought ones we have.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Scrabble has to be the best of all board games. It entertains & expands the mind at the same time. Trivial Pursuit is also up there for the same reasons.

I mentioned Scrabble as I really do enjoy that one - but one of the crew is not much for wordsmithing. And we love Trivial Pursuit - but haven't played with these guys yet - would be interesting as it is a knowledge game.

My grandparents played Bridge all of the time. I have a few of their old Bridge decks, so will need to learn the game and carry on their tradition! Appreciate all the suggestions!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My Dad’s whole side of the family were game players - cribbage, Parcheesi, bridge. Grew up playing games all the time. Started playing a lot of pitch in high school. Chess but strictly a novice. Bridge by far is my favorite card game, but as I lost grandparents and my mom can no longer play, and the game basically stopped with my folks’ generation just nobody to play with. Miss it.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Chess is my favorite, but I play it on internet so technically not a board game anymore.

I find that I can't play at all after work though. Need to be mentally fresh. (Not that I'm very good anyways).

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Damn...long time since I've heard that word, Cribbage...used to sit with my old man and play that all the time when i was a kid...what memories. No one to play it with now, younger generations have no interest in it...oh well, shit changes.

My wife and I just picked up a cribbage board just the other day and are gonna learn to play.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I really enjoy backgammon and cribbage. Had the chance to play some matches against a pro backgammon player. Learned a lot but it made it kind of boring when playing against average players now. The strategies are counterintuitive to what most people think but when he explained, made perfect sense.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I love cribbage. We had a collection of boards that we would pick up at yard sales and flea markets.

I love backgammon but haven’t played in years. Cards, various rummies, 31 which is a cool game to pick up. Plus some ones you have to buy like Phase 10, Uno Flip

Chinese checkers is another favorite from youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.