PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
Someone on another thread said if you can't breathe the smoke through your nose without inhaling, you lose alot of flavor. Not sure if he meant breathe in or out.
How does one do this?

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
instead of exhaling through your mouth keep your mouth closed and just exhale through your nose

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
my old man does this a lot and it clears out his sinus's to help him sleep haha.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That's called a retrohale and it's not hard to learn. I the video I posted last week, you can see me do it when I first light the pipe.
Another technique is called French inhaling. You let the smoke drift out of your mouth and take it in through your nose. You will get a little in your lungs that way. When you get a tobacco with a great room note, French inhaling and retrohaling are good ways to bite a chunk off that room note for your brain to enjoy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I exhale through my nose a lot, I get more flavor that way. I do french inhale on occasion mostly by accident, a left over from cigarette and cigar days.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I french inhale my pipe smoking. Straight inhaling is kind of tough with pipe smoke, I often end up gagging.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If you do it right, no smoke need enter your lungs. It just passes through your nasal cavities.
1. Get smoke into mouth.

2. Close mouth.

3. Do NOT inhale, keep it in mouth.

4. Push air out through nose.

5. Push smoke out of mouth with tongue, with mouth closed, while still pushing air out with nose.

6. Savor the Flavor.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
Sounds pretty easy, trying it here at work and probably looking dumb lol

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You get smoke in your lungs just by having a lit pipe around.
This is not a french inhale.
When you drink milk and someone makes you laugh and it comes out your nose.... did you get any in your lungs?
No.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
good work jsiddle! it's KEY to do this, IMO. you get more and different flavors out of the smoke this way. not an optional behavior IMO.
doody.

Status
Not open for further replies.