PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Indeed! Completely missed the thrust of the o.p., numbers, and classical music. Now how bout something with Peter and The Wolf??

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I just took a closer look at the Rattray's tin, and the bag O' baccy inside isn't even sealed.
If you ever bought any of those Peterson seasonal blends they come the same way.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Umm ... the Rattray's is the only one I've tried. I was hoping to read more about the others. :lol:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Doesn't matter the brand, if it comes in a tin shaped like the Exotic Orange than it is in an unsealed cellophane bag.

It's best to jar immediately.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Interesting. I am looking for a high quality aro for Christmas time, and a very good orange aromatic might hit the mark.
Dan, I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I am definitely not interested in a fake orange, pg laden shit show. But if there is anything which is remotely close to some of Glynn's high quality aromatics from the old GQ portfolio I'd like to know about them.
Interestingly, back in the heyday of flavoured coffees one of the most popular Christmas offerings was an Orange Brandy coffee in which the dried peel of Clementines was added to a brandy flavoured medium roasted Colombian coffee. The resulting brew was a surprisingly balanced and nuanced cup of coffee in which the aromatics didn't overwhelm the flavour of the coffee.
-- Pat

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have had Exotic Orange and California Dream. Exotic Orange, IMHO, is light years better. They are not in the same class. But will do a side by side with cobs this weekend. My palate may have changed. Exotic Orange lives up to its name.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I wonder if pressing orange peel and tobacco into a cake for a few weeks would work?
Anyone have an educated (or other) guess?
I know a little bit about orange essential oil from making soap (another hobby of mine).
So I'll say "Yes" with a few caveats. First, you'll need to find the right fruit. Not all oranges are created equal when it comes to the flavor and aroma of the oils in the skin. Second, you'd have to play around with the amount of tobacco surface area exposed to the peel, and the pressure applied.
That would be a fun project.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I would give it a try. I imagine it will take a bit of time. Other options might be essential oil of orange or orange liqueur. And as mentioned above, a food grade sweet orange oil. Some are industrial in smell and taste.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You' want to use an Orange Essential Oil like this, or maybe even a Tangerine Essential Oil. Bergamot wouldn't be a bad choice, either. I've used them all in making soap, as well as deserts!
bergamot.png

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I only have two of the above mentioned orange tobaccos. Rattray's Exotic Orange, and Peter Heinrich's Reserve Crue No. 2. I find I like the both almost equally, almost. The Rattray's has more of the orange essence and is a little more complex and rich tasting. Whereas the Heinrich's you can notice the orange essence, but it's much more Virginia forward so you notice the grassy flavor of that almost as much as the orange. I switch between the two and smoke the Rattray's a little more frequently than the Heinrich's. Both are high quality tobaccos though.

So I guess it's for the love of two oranges for me... :roll:

dreamsofsmoke

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
New guy here, but had to comment. I love the Rattray's Exotic Orange. As a general rule, I'm not much of a fan of aros. I find them one dimensional and uninteresting, but the REO is a fascinating smoke. I thoroughly enjoy this stuff.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Orley, I now tried the Peter Heinrichs Reserve Cru and I agree with you. The orange essence seemed a bit sweet in the tin (ok, in the bag), but it smoked very nicely. It's a top grade Virginia flake, and even though the orange is quite subtle in the smoke, it makes for a highly enjoyable pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With aromatics, so much depends on the quality of the base tobacco(s) and how well the flavoring backgrounds them. It's good to see aromatics getting a serious measured consideration on Forums, since aros are 95% of the market ... if not among Forums members. I've added a few to my rotation and find that they set off the non-aromatic blends nicely and really make them pop by contrast.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I got to try the Rattray's Exotic Orange yesterday. First off, as for concerns that it is in an unsealed bag: not a problem. The baccy was moist (too moist), and had to be dried off a bit. Maybe because it's 75% rh here. Flavor and aroma were wonderful, very light yet rich orange, and lasted all the way through the bowl. Well balanced, could still taste the tobacco. All in all an exceptional smoke. Quite different from the Peter Heinrichs Reserve Cru, this is a true aromatic, but with natural flavorings.

Status
Not open for further replies.