PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Woodsroad, yes, exactly. Interested in your take on California Dream. For me, the Cali is missing some "bottom". I have been trying to think of what I can add to it? Or maybe I should press it into a cake... Dunno. I will have to try the PH Cru.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Duane very generously sent me a sample of the Rattrays Exotic Orange as well. The taste has a darker/deeper essence of orange flavor, closer to the oil in the orange peel or a candied orange peel than it is to orange juice or fresh orange to me, which I greatly prefer, as the sickly sweet taste of orange juice in a pipe would be off putting to me. This isn't by any means a goopy type aromatic, its much closer to the Lakeland treatment of tobacco, not to imply there is any Lakeland essence, its just that the Gawiths treat flavoring of tobacco much differently than most and this lovely blend is in that vein. Highly recommended to all.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I got to try the Rattray's Exotic Orange yesterday. First off, as for concerns that it is in an unsealed bag: not a problem. The baccy was moist (too moist), and had to be dried off a bit. Maybe because it's 75% rh here. Flavor and aroma were wonderful, very light yet rich orange, and lasted all the way through the bowl. Well balanced, could still taste the tobacco. All in all an exceptional smoke. Quite different from the Peter Heinrichs Reserve Cru, this is a true aromatic, but with natural flavorings.
Very similar to my thoughts when I tried and reviewed it a few months ago. Very well done aromatic.
This isn't by any means a goopy type aromatic, its much closer to the Lakeland treatment of tobacco, not to imply there is any Lakeland essence
It has a floral note in the background that nears Lakeland territory, but never quite crosses that line. The orange compliments the tobacco taste, and my wife still gets "thank you's" from me for the tins she bought me a few months ago. Still my favorite out of the three.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That floral note is much closer to orange blossom than anything remotely Lakeland.
I'm impressed with how the orange is both a scent and a flavor, and how consistent it is throughout the bowl, without overpowering or even displacing the tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That floral note is much closer to orange blossom than anything remotely Lakeland.
I'm impressed with how the orange is both a scent and a flavor, and how consistent it is throughout the bowl, without overpowering or even displacing the tobacco.
Yes. The Lakeland comparison is just to say that it is a very natural floral, but not quite Gawith floral.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes. The Lakeland comparison is just to say that it is a very natural floral, but not quite Gawith floral.
I just want to be clear that Exotic Orange is not a Lakeland.

No soap, no old ladies hankerchiefs, no carpet deodorizers, none of that.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I know, it just made the reference in my original review because of the floral background note. But I still like traditional lakelands.

Status
Not open for further replies.