PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This is my Vauen Olaf bent egg #4873 (20mmx46mm chamber) which I bought from Smokingpipes.Eu as an unsmoked estate pipe at less than 1/2 price on sale. After a few smokes it developed a petroleum taste and smell. I sanded out the bowl coating which was oil based and made my own pipe mud to replace it. It is now a favorite daily pipe. It is as enjoyable and comfortable as my Savinelli 2614KS which is almost 40 yrs old. Always tastes sweet now.

I would recommend a Vauen especially the higher end ones many of which are made by italian carvers for Vauen. Can't go wrong for a good working pipe.

That's a briar ring and acrylic matte finish stem which has some texture to it:

1663708888874.jpeg

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
This is my Vauen Olaf bent egg #4873 (20mmx46mm chamber) which I bought from Smokingpipes.Eu as an unsmoked estate pipe at less than 1/2 price on sale. After a few smokes it developed a petroleum taste and smell. I sanded out the bowl coating which was oil based and made my own pipe mud to replace it. It is now a favorite daily pipe. It is as enjoyable and comfortable as my Savinelli 2614KS which is almost 40 yrs old. Always tastes sweet now.

I would recommend a Vauen especially the higher end ones many of which are made by italian carvers for Vauen. Can't go wrong for a good working pipe.

View attachment 170312
Those Olafs punch well above their pricetag, that sandblast is beautiful.

I picked up this model of Pearl during TP's IPSD sale.
002-177-0153.3548.jpg

It's become one of my favorites and got me interested in bent pipes where as before I was pretty strictly straights only. Haven't had any issues with the bowl coatings Vauen uses. Compared to the Peterson Tarpits they're a dream.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

View attachment 170312
" I would recommend a Vauen especially the higher end ones many of which are made by italian carvers for Vauen ".
That is why I purchased the Solitaire.
Lovely pipe this one !

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Those Olafs punch well above their pricetag, that sandblast is beautiful.

I picked up this model of Pearl during TP's IPSD sale.
View attachment 170378

It's become one of my favorites and got me interested in bent pipes where as before I was pretty strictly straights only. Haven't had any issues with the bowl coatings Vauen uses. Compared to the Peterson Tarpits they're a dream.

I like the shape of yours ...well executed !

The Olaf was my first 'black' pipe ... I preferred natural briar previously but the rustication advantage and price overcomes my instinct. I'm not good at pictures but maybe you can blow this one up ... check out the ring blast on the bottom of the pipe. --- A spiral circle upwards from center of bottom !!!

1663763534602.png

• Love
Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I like the shape of yours ...well executed !

The Olaf was my first 'black' pipe ... I preferred natural briar previously but the rustication advantage and price overcomes my instinct. I'm not good at pictures but maybe you can blow this one up ... check out the ring blast on the bottom of the pipe. --- A spiral circle upwards from center of bottom !!!

View attachment 170389
Wow that's seriously some beautiful grain. The kind I'd expect on high end artisan pipes.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Wow that's seriously some beautiful grain. The kind I'd expect on high end artisan pipes.
I agree, thats what I thought for a "stock" pipe ... that bullseye on the bottom about 1/8th inch off center then radiates up the pipe to the rim in concentric circles all the way up. I don't think I could find another quite like it which makes it unusual or different from all others (to my mind). It also radiates along shank but not as concentric. In the end ... well worth the small price. (It does have a few pits which is why first buyer rejected it but they are at thickest part of pipe and don't go all the way through so no danger of burn out from them, I don't think.)

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
I have 3 or 4.. all good pipes and the company has a long history of pipe production. German myself, but in all fairness I will say that for me they often make pipes with unfortunate design choices. Sometimes the colours are strange, sometimes over-engineered, sometimes weird shapes...

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I wanted that POY dammit! ^^ Had to settle for a fully sandblasted one. The sandblasting is a bit odd. Good to see a picture of one out in the wild. A bit rare. Well, here in the US that is.

Reactions: goldenmole

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I get the feeling that in their minds they're a Germany company for the German markets. They don't mind selling to the rest of us at all but I get the impression their main focus is their home territory. I think that's part of why they fly under the radar. And while most of us have heard of our favorite pipes by word of mouth, the most well known brands at one point advertised heavily.

dingdong

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I think Vauen one of the few independent brands out there apart from Italian artisan, whilst most are consolidated under Cadogan (English brands) and Cutty Fort (French St Claudes)..
Got one Vauen, designed by Barontini. tiny pipe, and filter ready. Not sure of the vintage, probably 80s-90s.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 2.41.17 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 2.41.17 PM.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
They do make some nice pipes but I dont own one yet. They are easy to get in the EU (from Germany). I may have to pick one up as I like 9mm pipes and its their specialty. They have some somewhat odd and what I think are regional designs. Some a bit far out but they also have some really nice classic designs as well.

Does anyone know about the quality of their briar? They are machine pipes but that isnt always a bad thing when its done right. Its hard to beat their prices. My only complaint is that they could step up their game a bit on the metal stem treatments.

Last edited: