PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
foggymountain, the late great Forums member, was my Dunhill guru on here, though I am a non-Dunhill owner by choice. He was buying new Dunhills nearly until his passing, and he'd sold them as a teenager in pipe shops on Manhattan, though there were some series he dismissed summarily a junk. So from his highly analytical and critical perspective, some White Spots remained acceptable, and he was not a forgiving or patient man on pipes. I think in latter days, Al Pascia was his sole source on new White Spots, and he focused on the prince shape.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
So this is the year, October is just 2 months away, the big 50. I thought one (I’m hoping for multiple?) of the gifts to myself might be a special pipe. I have a modest collection of 30ish pipes. Some cobs, Nordings, Alpha’s, Pete’s, Moretti’s, and various English estates, etc... most expensive, still just under $200 (Peterson Silver Spigot XL 315 you guys and ladies helped with a birthday or so ago).

I would most likely not ever spend over $300 for a pipe. My style is either a bit flashy, unconventional, but still traditional shape. I also love history and tradition. Classics are classics for a reason. My top two thoughts are:

An estate Dunhill (1970 would probably be too good to be true) or similar nostalgic top end marquee, Foursquare super traditional. Part of me feels you’re just paying for the name, but that’s part of the allure I guess. It would have to be a gorgeous pipe and well made. A pinto with a Ferrari badge is still an old crappy car. Or as my dad would say “50% off of shit is still shit”​
Artisan commission. Someone who could help me choose their signature style with my preferences. Is this even possible in this price point? I’ve seen some really cool Dragon Briars, Josh Ronish, that I love. Great colors and textures, but many with traditional shapes.​
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.​
Not advice, but I had a mid sixties Dunhill that I sold on ebay recently. I'd had it for about twenty years. It was just an ok pipe to smoke. With the money, I bought two old estate Grabows and an old Medico, then used the rest on tobacco. A lot of tobacco (haha). The old Medico pipe has turned out to be a very pleasant pipe to smoke. I really like that pipe. Much more enjoyable than the Dunhill I had. I guess all I'm saying is, that some pipes just suit a person well. Brand or name doesn't mean so much when a pipe and tobacco click for a person. I guess I might be a little off topic, sorry. However, I think I'd lean more towards having a pipe commissioned. A special pipe made for you, exactly to your specifications. I can't think of a better gift to yourself for your 50th.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Right, so I guess JimInks is also just another dim witted sucker? You tricked him good. Good on you for pulling a fast one there and unloading your overpriced junk into the hands of an idiot without common sense.

But you still don't know how it smokes.

Listen, clean the sand out of your vagina and let people talk pipes in peace.

There's no need to always bang on about how superior your taste is. Some people like things you don't.
I bought it unsmoked and did smoke it. It’s a fine pipe but no better than a $25 pipe.

I paid $200 for the pipe.

My taste isn’t superior to anyone else, but my common sense must be about new Dunhills.

I just can’t believe there is even any argument about them being overpriced. I never said they were junk, just overpriced. You apparently feel the need to keep defending your decision so I’ve obviously struck some chord.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've had a couple of Dunhill pipes. They were decent but well less than remarkable. I wouldn't consider trading my Artisan pipes from Jack Howell, Rubio, Alden, Ruthenberg, Rad Davis, Larrysson or Martin Cermak for a Dunhill either for aesthetics or smoking quality. If you're in love with classic shapes and the Dunhill name lights your fire though, have a happy.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don’t own any Dunhills, and I generally prefer practical quality over provenance, but as a lover of history and possibly being somewhat of a low-key Anglophile, I plan to add at least one vintage Dunhill to my collection mainly just because they are an iconic brand in the pipe world. I think it’s perfectly okay to admit you’re paying more for the name and history that goes along with it, and that doesn’t make it a bad purchase either. Just depends on exactly what it is that you value about the pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Technically Dunhills haven't been made since 2011. They're The White Spot now. I've had and do have a few and while not bad smokers, they're little more than fancy Dr. Grabows.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m glad I could at least be part of a forum grudge match and possible lock.

I do appreciate everyone’s passion. I’m mulling it over. Lots to think about. I really like some of the artisan pipes that have been recommended. I also know what the 0 after England means ( if it doesn’t have it, I’ve got the wrong year?).

The mind wanders back and forth and the agonizing over the decision is half the fun. Thanks for sharing.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
If I were you I would decide on a shape and get a commission to your exact specifications. That'd eliminate the searching, the estate lottery, you'd get a new, unsmoked pipe, at the exact shape and size you want, and likely cheaper than a new Dunhill.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
If it were me? I’d buy a few of those stellar Brush Brown/Brushed Black Stanwell’s and spend the rest of my money on tobacco. Those are as fine as any pipe I’ve smoked at any price range. I do understand wanting to have something a bit nicer to look at than a brushed Stanwell though. Hehe. That’s where I’d go along with the folks who are suggesting an artisan pipe, you can get some fine looking pipes at a decent price point.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Technically Dunhills haven't been made since 2011. They're The White Spot now. I've had and do have a few and while not bad smokers, they're little more than fancy Dr. Grabows.
Exact. They at least don’t have a metal tenon.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Jttnk- Try checking out "SATX Pipe". I won't post a link, but the name is unique and easy to find in a search.

I have bought from him in the past and the service is excellent. Really nice guy that I would do business with again.

I got a Yang Kun blowfish from him and it is a great pipe, reasonably priced. He's got some on offer that are in your ballpark. I realize it's frowned upon in North America, but you may also have a chance at negotiating a price with a company like this if you see something you need to have.

There's a decent estate section too.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Jttnk- Try checking out "SATX Pipe". I won't post a link, but the name is unique and easy to find in a search.

I have bought from him in the past and the service is excellent. Really nice guy that I would do business with again.

I got a Yang Kun blowfish from him and it is a great pipe, reasonably priced. He's got some on offer that are in your ballpark. I realize it's frowned upon in North America, but you may also have a chance at negotiating a price with a company like this if you see something you need to have.

There's a decent estate section too.
If yours is the one they show sold on there, that's a nice looking pipe.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Another option that would cost less but equally as frustrating to find the year on something like an eBay listing would be a silver mounted Peterson.

+1 on this. Picked up a birth year (1973) Pete meer. Got outbid on a ‘71 which is my wife’s year. Also picked up an Savinelli 2000 for our anniversary. Would like to find a Pete POTY 2000 edition.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.