PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
This is the Yang Kun I bought from SATX pipes. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't crazy.

Smokes great, nice in the hand. Apparently he worked with some well known Danish carvers and became influenced by the style. My favorite and best smoking pipes in my collection are all Eltang, so I'm very much biased toward the Danish school of design and this pipe reminded me of the style. In the hand, the quality is right up there with Eltang for a fraction of the cost.

I have recommended SATX to friends and can easily recommend him to internet strangers.

s-l1600-jpg.8258

This knock-around Dunhill I got from SmokingPipes Europe because I didn't have a poker shape and I liked the flat bottom style seen here.
SmokingPipes EU had better prices on their overpriced Gabrow seconds Dunhill pipes than the American version when I purchased, but that was some time ago now. Free shipping too.

I don't remember the price, but I think they also have a discount if you're logged in as a user. If not, you can always ask for one. I think it's 20% off or somewhere around there with the Europe site. Pretty sure it was more than the 15% you get on the American site if you have been a customer for a little while.

Great smoker and I like the innertube. It's surprisingly effective at keeping a pipe clean and ready for multiple bowls if you're out fishing or moving around in situations where you don't want to carry a handful of pipes.

002-210-0036-8687-jpg.11108

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
This is the Yang Kun I bought from SATX pipes. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't crazy.

Smokes great, nice in the hand. Apparently he worked with some well known Danish carvers and became influenced by the style. My favorite and best smoking pipes in my collection are all Eltang, so I'm very much biased toward the Danish school of design and this pipe reminded me of the style. In the hand, the quality is right up there with Eltang for a fraction of the cost.

I have recommended SATX to friends and can easily recommend him to internet strangers.

s-l1600-jpg.8258

This knock-around Dunhill I got from SmokingPipes Europe because I didn't have a poker shape and I liked the flat bottom style seen here.
SmokingPipes EU had better prices on their overpriced Gabrow seconds Dunhill pipes than the American version when I purchased, but that was some time ago now. Free shipping too.

I don't remember the price, but I think they also have a discount if you're logged in as a user. If not, you can always ask for one. I think it's 20% off or somewhere around there with the Europe site. Pretty sure it was more than the 15% you get on the American site if you have been a customer for a little while.

Great smoker and I like the innertube. It's surprisingly effective at keeping a pipe clean and ready for multiple bowls if you're out fishing or moving around in situations where you don't want to carry a handful of pipes.

002-210-0036-8687-jpg.11108
The Yang Kun is a beauty. Both are nice, but I really like that one.

Reactions: ofafeather

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
That would be almost too good to be true! I love the shape, the finish etc... I now know I'm looking for a 3124 or 4124 ( size 3 or 4, tapered stem, foursquare billiard). Light color best, second awesome blast.

Still not sure which way i'm going, but I've got more info and ammo to search.

How do you know it's a cracked shank? My guess is the silver band looks a little wobbly, like it doesn't fit cleanly at the connection to the stem? Also, the stamping is cut off by the silver band? Finally, Dunhill didn't make silver bands on this pipe style? Am I close, correct, or need to learn more.

Thanks, Jason

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
That would be almost too good to be true! I love the shape, the finish etc... I now know I'm looking for a 3124 or 4124 ( size 3 or 4, tapered stem, foursquare billiard). Light color best, second awesome blast.

Still not sure which way i'm going, but I've got more info and ammo to search.

How do you know it's a cracked shank? My guess is the silver band looks a little wobbly, like it doesn't fit cleanly at the connection to the stem? Also, the stamping is cut off by the silver band? Finally, Dunhill didn't make silver bands on this pipe style? Am I close, correct, or need to learn more.

Thanks, Jason
DUH, the top link is a sanblast 1970 (the 0 dame size as the D in England) That's pretty cool. EK I found is the paneled billiard, what is the F/T ? Does the 6 mean a group 6 bowl? It doesn't look huge? (que... "That's what she said")

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I am not fond of much social media (this place is about as social media, online anything I get besides work) and just joined Instagram today. Looking for recommended pipe makers to follow, then inquire about making the special pipe we’ve been discussing.

I’ve done a little research on the Dunhill thing, listened and weighed your input, now need to do some homework on Artisan route.

I have so far, Jason Everett, Nate Rose, Jack Howell, Josh Ronish, looking for others you may know. I’m not looking for the Lee Von Erck types (although he’s awesome) they are just not in my budget. I’m looking in the $200 to $300 range.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just received this Jack Howell. I can't tell you how happy I am with his pipes. As perfect as stem work can be, especially if you clinch. Generous draw from perfect drilling. This is very similar to the one Jack made for Harris (Cigarmaster) that he chose as one of his two favorite smoking pipes.

IMG_2125.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
That's a nice looking pipe hoosier. Did you have to contact the maker direct? I don't see anywhere obvious to buy one.

Reactions: ofafeather

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m really excited, deposit made today, process started with Joshua Ronish of Dragon Briars on my Birthday pipe. He’s a saint for answering all my questions and helping select the right materials. I’m a little mental about getting it perfect. Can’t wait till October! Delayed gratification technique in effect. I will post pics when done.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I’m really excited, deposit made today, process started with Joshua Ronish of Dragon Briars on my Birthday pipe. He’s a saint for answering all my questions and helping select the right materials. I’m a little mental about getting it perfect. Can’t wait till October! Delayed gratification technique in effect. I will post pics when done.
Looking forward to seeing this one. I have a Josh Ronish rusticated volcano with mammoth tooth accent that is on of my prized pipes.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Looking forward to seeing this one. I have a Josh Ronish rusticated volcano with mammoth tooth accent that is on of my prized pipes.
The Mammoth tooth is really cool. So many colors, this could be dangerous! So far transaction communication has been great. Very nice and accommodating. Lots of recommendations came in for Josh and several others. His colors and stains just fit for what I want on this. Glad to hear you love yours.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Birthday pipe is in the mail! I will drone in later about what a super guy Joshua Ronish is for making exactly what I wanted (twice?). Once it’s in hand I’ll do the inaugural smoke and review of the total pipe buying experience, but know it was great.

My vision was a traditional four square shape, made for me with the artists own flare for color and texture. This is sandblasted, contrast, hand hammered brass and red black swirl stem. He delivered!
0AF5248E-714B-4274-A9C6-10BDAF304C3E.jpeg92E64C23-D46B-444E-8E29-0999F6729416.jpeg0E5B0F69-CD25-4529-8442-D397AF19F5B3.jpegC818D102-6363-40A5-8EBE-E0A5D55BF4FA.jpegE9AA9BD0-F794-471E-895A-92EFE159B5C3.jpegDD2AEC33-B73B-4A1A-A0E4-12D4D5DC2B2F.jpeg
Thank you all again for the advice, referrals and comaraderie.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ooo-la-la, that's the panel pipe of my dreams, the elegant finish, the snazzy shape on the shank, and the crowning grace of metal work. Wow! I went on a panel buying binge at a pipe show several years ago, but nothing close to this. You did well indeed. You can't ever smoke that one without knowing it is your birthday pipe. Right at any price.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Inaugural smoke, 1/2 bowl of Balkan Sasieni. Break in tastes like burning sawdust, but I can tell this thing is going to smoke very well. Draw is awesome, hand feel is awesome, I really dig the stem too. Slowly finishing this bowl. 489A4435-F693-4EDA-BF77-27AE53AD582E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.