PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks for the info. I would not have known that without some research. Also, not sure are 70’s dunhills good? Or, as BROB’S suggests past their glory years.
Serious collectors often cut their collections at 1969. If that tells you anything.

Reactions: ofafeather

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Thanks for the info. I would not have known that without some research. Also, not sure are 70’s dunhills good? Or, as BROB’S suggests past their glory years.
BROBS is entitled to his opinion but it seems a bit severe to say any Dunhill made after 1969 is shitty. There are plenty of knowledgeable Dunhill collectors that have post 1969 pipes in their collections.

There were bad Dunhills before 1969 and excellent Dunhills after 1969, a few of which I pictured above. Buy the pipe you want but if it's an estate make sure it satisfies YOU. You'll always remember you bought a 1970 for your 50th birthday, a commissioned pipe too. You asked for opinions and got a bunch. I'd go estate...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
BROBS is entitled to his opinion but it seems a bit severe to say any Dunhill made after 1969 is shitty. There are plenty of knowledgeable Dunhill collectors that have post 1969 pipes in their collections.

There were bad Dunhills before 1969 and excellent Dunhills after 1969, a few of which I pictured above. Buy the pipe you want but if it's an estate make sure it satisfies YOU. You'll always remember you bought a 1970 for your 50th birthday, a commissioned pipe too. You asked for opinions and got a bunch. I'd go estate...
I guess excellent is all subjective! ?

If a Dunhill makes you happy then great! Something else? great too!

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I've got a 2019 Dunhill tanshell poker with silver army mount that smokes as good as anything else in my collection. Anyone even bothering trying to trash it as a crappy smoking pipe simply has no idea. They make fine pipes today. They made fine pipes in the last decade, the one before that, and before that, and before...

Obviously, if you're just thinking about getting the job done, spending a grand on a pipe is pretty fucking stupid, isn't it? But perhaps you just enjoy a certain style, shape, colour, provenance, history, weight, stem material, or combination of that you just can't get for $50.

Who cares?

You can't take money with you, so as long as you're not going into debt or neglecting other essential things, worrying about the money spent on a pipe is wasted time. You'll likely waste more money on much more useless things than a pipe.

I like the couple of Dunhill pipes I have, but what I enjoy most are my Tom Eltangs. Now that is a 50th year marker treat.
A lot of his work comes in at a higher price point than you initially indicate (not all does), but I doubt it's out of reach. To me, it has been worth every penny. His work is some of the best in the world, but that's just my opinion.
You can find a lot of classic shapes in his lineup, albeit with Danish styling, which I am a huge fan of, so I'm biased. I like classic shapes with Danish minimalism. I find it very beautiful, functional, and pleasing in the hand. Maybe it appeals to you. They are all excellent smokers. Tom Eltang makes a point of that.

If you get twisted up in knots over the price of your pipe, consider if you're really going to miss an extra couple or few hundred bucks in 5 years. You probably won't. So, spend it on something splashy for your 50th birthday. Maybe you have some years ahead of you yet, but the brutal fact is that you're soon destined for dust. It's just how it is. So enjoy it while you can.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've got a 2019 Dunhill tanshell poker with silver army mount that smokes as good as anything else in my collection. Anyone even bothering trying to trash it as a crappy smoking pipe simply has no idea. They make fine pipes today. They made fine pipes in the last decade, the one before that, and before that, and before...
I mean if you like overpaying by $800 on a new pipe go ahead and get a Dunhill Tanshell.

For whatever you paid I’m sure you could have got a better pipe. Just my opinion.

Overpriced Tripe!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Also I could buy one if I so desired. But I do not. Because I was blessed with a small amount of common sense.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Right, so I guess JimInks is also just another dim witted sucker? You tricked him good. Good on you for pulling a fast one there and unloading your overpriced junk into the hands of an idiot without common sense.

But you still don't know how it smokes.

Listen, clean the sand out of your vagina and let people talk pipes in peace.

There's no need to always bang on about how superior your taste is. Some people like things you don't.

• Haha
Reactions: Tommy Boy
Status
Not open for further replies.